Clicking too Many CC threads.....

sail7seas

I must be left clicking way too many HAL threads on my lap top (I don't use a separate mouse) because I think the spring is dying. Is it possible for a computer 'fix it' guru to replace lap top 'left click' or do I need to attach a separate mouse?

Thanks. :embarrassed:

I like using the pad but I suppose you're right. I'll look at wireless mouse. Is it hard to set up?

We have a private place that works on our computers (not Geek Squad) but it probably would cost more than it's worth.

I like using the pad but I suppose you're right. I'll look at wireless mouse. Is it hard to set up?

Not as hard as changing a lightbulb. I just bought a new one myself, so that's the voice of experience talking.

I went to Staples (I'm sure there are many places just as good), asked for advice. I knew enough to test the fit in my hand, then selected one that sets itself up. Plugged the little connector in the side of the laptop, listen for the "ding-ding", and that's it.

Cost was in the $20-25 range.

Does not need to be bluetooth capable. You can buy any mouse you like, any size mouse that works in your hand, but not a huge one like you might buy for your desktop. There's a little USB thingie that plugs into your laptop or netbook and you're good to go.

I highly recommend the mice with the very small wireless receiver because you can actually leave it plugged into your laptop all the time. Just be sure to turn off the mouse so as not to run down the batteries.

I always use Amazon to order all this stuff. A good example is: Amazon.com: Logitech Wireless Mouse M305 (Black): Electronics . It also has optical tracking which is smooth as opposed to clicking along.

I rarely use the pads on my laptops, only when I'm in a rush ...always much prefer a mouse.

<snip>Does not need to be bluetooth capable. You can buy any mouse you like, any size mouse that works in your hand, but not a huge one like you might buy for your desktop. There's a little USB thingie that plugs into your laptop or netbook and you're good to go.

I highly recommend the mice with the very small wireless receiver because you can actually leave it plugged into your laptop all the time. Just be sure to turn off the mouse so as not to run down the batteries.

For that particular mouse it does need to be. Advantage is you don't need the dongle or use up a usb port for this one. You are of course correct that any mouse will work, wired/wireless/bluetooth etc.

Is it possible for a computer 'fix it' guru to replace lap top 'left click' or do I need to attach a separate mouse?

You could swap the left and right hand button functions by going to your Control Panel, Mouse Properties ... but I also recommend just buying an external wireless mouse. :)

John

Is it possible for a computer 'fix it' guru to replace lap top 'left click' or do I need to attach a separate mouse?

Just to answer the "fix it" part -- yes it is possible and easy for someone is handy with tools. The part can be ordered from Dell, but also most likely from ebay and replaced in about an hour.

Rich

We have a private place that works on our computers (not Geek Squad) but it probably would cost more than it's worth.

I use a Logitech mini mouse for my Acer Netbook that I use for travel.

I use a Logitech mouse with my DELL.

Thanks all. You are always so generous helping with computer questions and I greatly appreciate it. It may be a bit off topic but hopefully it helps others in addition to me and certain pertains to all the CC HAL threads I click each week. :D

I shall be at Best Buy or Staples tomorrow and, hopefully, will be 'moused' up.

Sail,

When you are looking at a wireless mouse there is a USB receiver that will have to be plugged into your laptop. These come in different sizes (Length) I have been advised to buy the shortest one possible then there is less chance of it breaking off if the laptop is bumped into something hard. The person that told me of this found out the hard way, his broke off and it cost many $$$ for repairs.

Riverwatcher

Sail,

When you are looking at a wireless mouse there is a USB receiver that will have to be plugged into your laptop. These come in different sizes (Length) I have been advised to buy the shortest one possible then there is less chance of it breaking off if the laptop is bumped into something hard. The person that told me of this found out the hard way, his broke off and it cost many $$$ for repairs.

Riverwatcher

Excellent point. Thanks for the tip.

I have a Dell and use a logitech..as others have said buy what fits your hand, insert the little stick into a usb port and your away with the races..good luck..

I plan to get the logitech seeing it has come so recommended here. Thank you. :)

Good grief already. A wireless mouse is like the simpliest cheapest easiest computer accessory to buy and there is no installation other than sticking the little gizmo into a USB port. Why has this become such a major deal? The entire purchase will take about 5 minutes.

Well' date=' bless your heart![/color']

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with everyone here! In exchange, here's a bit of wisdom for you:

If a thread doesn't interest you, you don't have to read it, unless someone is pointing a gun at you and forcing you to do so. If the latter is the case, call 9-1-1.

Archived