Can I display American Flag on our balcony

1937olds

Apart from being verboten on most cruise lines that I have been on (including Millennium a week ago), I think that it is very disrespectful to the people in the countries that you are visiting. It is another of one those things that can give US tourists a bad name. The best place for this display of patriotism is at home-IMHO. And at the end of the day who wants to be bothered packing all those bits and pieces.

So how is this any different at all from, say, Latino immigrants celebrating Mexican independence by waving Mexican flags in the US? Do you post anonymous comments on other forums that they need to pretend to be patriotic to the US?

In other words, how is it disrespectful to someone else to be proud of who you are? At the very least, there is a rampant double-standard concerning this.

Denny... WVUfan...

I appreciate your comments a lot (and in particular your service in a thankless war WV) so - please - I ask the following not to be snarky or provokative, but...

In the public mind, why is 'love of country' (ie, patriotism) almost always married to militarism? If you don't blindly support all things military - then why it is so often posited belligerently - that one lacks 'love of country'? How is it that 'love of country' seems to have become the exclusive preserve of veterans?

Denny... WVUfan...

I appreciate your comments a lot (and in particular your service in a thankless war WV) so - please - I ask the following not to be snarky or provokative, but...

In the public mind, why is 'love of country' (ie, patriotism) almost always married to militarism? If you don't blindly support all things military - then why it is so often posited belligerently - that one lacks 'love of country'? How is it that 'love of country' seems to have become the exclusive preserve of veterans?

I strongly agree. There are many ways of being 'patriotic' and serving your community. that is why I was suggesting the guy show his patriotism by being nice and respectful to our hosts and so on. Patriotism isn't waving the flag or serving in the military, it is supporting your community in the manner you see right. Volunteers, teachers and such. I may disagree with my pacifist friend, but he (and she) is a patriot as much as I am.

Thats what is neat about crusing...meeting lots of very different people.

I like your thoughts on this.

Denny

I hope you do display a flag.

Make sure it isn't flammable, and I'd suggest using a visible, but smaller one.

This way, people with "hidden" motives can't use safety as an excuse.

Displaying a flag is not doing anything wrong to anyone.

Go for it. Hope you do it.

Apart from being verboten on most cruise lines that I have been on (including Millennium a week ago), I think that it is very disrespectful to the people in the countries that you are visiting. It is another of one those things that can give US tourists a bad name. The best place for this display of patriotism is at home-IMHO. And at the end of the day who wants to be bothered packing all those bits and pieces.

So let me get this straight. Say you're a US citizen in New York City and happen to see a cruise ship in port. And on one of the balconies let say a French (replace with any country you like) flag is flying from it. You would feel disrespected? Wow.

I hope you do display a flag.

Make sure it isn't flammable, and I'd suggest using a visible, but smaller one.

This way, people with "hidden" motives can't use safety as an excuse.

If they don't allow such items because of safety issues, showing up with one you say is inflammable won't hack it becasue as in most rules, they don't make exceptions. And by the way, since I'm one saying its a fire hazard and for other reasons shouldn't be done, explain to my by 'hidden motives' please.

And woodofpine, see this is the one advantage of being a Vet. In these discussions about 'patriotism'...when someone questions other people's that they have no idea who they are, I can play the 'I'm a Vet and my Patriotism trumps your Patriotism'...........Silly isn't it.

Denny

WVUFan, I love your post and couldn't agree more. And thank you for your service to our country.

I confess, I don't understand the desire to fly the flag from one's cruiseship balcony. It no more demonstrates "patriotism" than wearing an NFL jersey demonstrates that one is a football player. It is, however, much easier to wear or fly a flag than to defend one's country in battle, or in a political office or by performing any "homeland" service to one's fellow citizens.

Here's a thought... rather than packing a flag, which is, after all, only a symbol, if patriotism is important to you during your cruise, why not pack a copy of the US Constitution to read on your balcony? It's small, light, powerful and contains everything you need to know about our form of government. It won't offend anyone, and knowledge of its contents is sure to make you a better citizen. Best of all, as the blueprint of our government and an expression of the ideals on which this country was founded, it, and not the flag, is what generations of US soldiers and sailors fought to protect.

You'll all be glad to know that I will NOT be packing my soapbox to take on my next cruise. ;)

I have never heard that at a muster drill, ever. I couldn't get through a week if I couldn't dry undies out there, not to mention wet bathing suits and my husband's workout clothes. Of course we always secure everything by sticking them through the slats in the chairs.

You weren't listening. They always tell you never to leave items of clothing on your balcony. They've said this on every cruise I've been on. It's even written in the daily newsletter.

By the way, unless I've missed it, I don't think the OP has come back and responded to some of the legit questions raised. It is kind of forum etiquette (sp?) to at least thank those that take the time to respond, and certainly respond to questions your thread has raised. Oh well.....

It hasn't even been 24 hours since the original post...

The Millie has domestic itineraries, fyi. I doubt an American flag would offend the entire state of Alaska!

OK, this thread has all the markings of turning a bit edgy and even getting ugly, and my last cheapshot didn't help. Sorry Mr Jedi!

So, next cruise I'm wearing my full Abe Lincoln suit. But since I'm only 5'6"" and a bit round, I'll wear a 3' tophat and add stilts. And my wife will dress up as the Status of Liberty!. Since I'll be in a black mourning coat, I'll use it for Formal night and my wifes outfit will work for it since it's a full gown-kind of thingee.

Our Canadian friends who are joining us can come as a Mountee and Mounteeites (??), and our Brit friends joining us on our around the UK cruise can carry (unlit) cigars and flash the "V' around a lot.

Sounds like fun and we'll all feel good about it!

Denny

If I were a New Yorker and I saw a cruise ship in the harbor with a French flag, or any flag for that matter, hanging from the balcony, I would think that the person who did it was well, a bit of an odd duck actually. I cannot imagine why any tourist would want to plaster their flag on their cruise ship balcony. I have heard some of the comments that Europeans make when they see American tourists dressed up in stars and stripes shirts etc....the comments are not particularly flattering to those tourists.

Patriotism aside, I don't understand the desire to decorate one's stateroom and/or the balcony. Do people also decorate hotel rooms?

IMHO the only time I would think it is in good taste to display ones national flag from a balcony would be during a competition or sporting event when national pride is to expected.

olympic_preparations_201002-15mmrbp.jpg

4029723819_42dac0b635.jpg

897079-vancouver-olympics-australia-flag.jpg2599282.bin?size=620x400

Actually, I was going to purchase a 3x5 flag of each country we are sailing to on the 01/03/11 Millie Southern Caribbean and display them from the balcony while in port each day but the damn shipping was too high :). Why would I do this ---- because it struck me as both fun and respectful.. I have given up asking why people like to do what they do --- usually it is none of my business.

Patriotism aside, I don't understand the desire to decorate one's stateroom and/or the balcony. Do people also decorate hotel rooms?

I'm with you. I wouldn't think of redecorating someone else's property. Can you imagine what it would look like if everyone decided to plaster things on their balconies and windows or hang their laundry on the chairs. :eek:

I also cringe every time I hear people recommending that we bring duct tape along on cruises. There's nothing uglier than the black residue where it's been. I guess I would suggest that it might be nice to take some care with property that doesn't belong to us.

I'm with you. I wouldn't think of redecorating someone else's property. Can you imagine what it would look like if everyone decided to plaster things on their balconies and windows or hang their laundry on the chairs. :eek:

I also cringe every time I hear people recommending that we bring duct tape along on cruises. There's nothing uglier than the black residue where it's been. I guess I would suggest that it might be nice to take some care with property that doesn't belong to us.

What do people do with duct tape? (excuse my ignorance)

We hung a flag up last cruise but it was ocean view and you could see our flag and it was fun to say 'theres our room', but I could see where it could be pretty tacky...I just want to let it hang while in port.

(it was the priate flag)

I think it's a bad idea. Remember, you're a guest on a non American

ship, going to foreign countries.. There are also many non Americans on the ship. Should they fly their flags?? Should the crew fly their flags? After a

cocktail or two, the arguments would start.......not to mention that the ship

would look pretty tacky with all of those colors flying.

I'm a very patriotic guy, but I'd say wear a lapel pin. don't invite trouble.

While I admire your love of country, I think you need to think this through.

There definitely are ship rules that prevent hanging anything from your balcony, including flags.

If you can fly an American flag, why can't I fly a corporate flag or a flag espousing a political belief of social belief?

If you allow 1 type of flag, you have to allow any type of flag.

If you have to fly something from the balcony, get some naval signal flags that spell out something totally obscene and see if anyone picks up on it.

DON

Hmmm...I'm not exactly sure which part of 'don't leave anything out on your balcony' some of you don't seem to get but it's always made during the muster drill and usually accompanies the warning not to throw anything overboard. Despite everyone second guessing its intent, the message is clearly stated as a safety issue and has nothing to do with depriving one of patriotic expression, infringement on pax rights to decorate their space or possible insult to officers, crew or the cruise line. Beyond safety, high winds could blow a flag (and anything else) off the balcony and into the sea, working against the cruise industry's gigunda efforts to leave clean, unlittered seas in its wake.

Archived