Alaska: Voyage of the Glaciers or Inside Passge?

TimInOhio

I'm in the early stages of planning a family cruise to Alaska for summer 2012. As I understand it, on the Inside Passage we'd be more likely to see the wildlife, where the Voyage of the Glaciers provides more glacier viewing opportunities. Any pros/cons or recommendations for/against one intinerary or the other? Thanks in advance.

Tim

We saw more wildlife on the Voyage of the Glaciers. The ship does get in close to shore, even in Glacier Bay - which is where we saw bears on the shore, as well as whales, eagles, and mountain sheep (goats?)...

There are major differences between the Inside Passage and the Voyage of the Glaciers.

The Voyage of the Glaciers is a one way voyage with an opportunity for a cruise tour. This would be a significantly more expensive option. Most food on the land tours is not included and adds significantly to the cost. That being said, there is beautiful country to be seen on the land tour. My DW did a Princess land only tour with her DS/travel agent and truly enjoyed the sights. It was her recommendation that made me agree to our Voyage of the Glaciers cruise this year. If you don't do a land tour, the flight to or from Anchorage is long and, IMHO, the is nothing of significance to do in Anchorage.

The Inside Passage is typically RT from Seattle and airfares should be much cheaper. One reasonable compromise would be the Inside Passage on the Golden. For 2011 the Golden includes a day of scenic cruising at Glacier Bay. Hopefully the same itinerary will be available in 2012. As a plus, the Golden is the only Princess ship currently in Alaska with the International Cafe and Vines. By 2012 the Sapphire should have the IC and Vines added and the Star may also be in Alaska, but doing the Voyage of the Glaciers. You would miss the many tidal glaciers at College Fjord or Hubbard Glacier but would still see the impressive Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay National Park and have the opportunity to see the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau.

There are "catch phrases" being thrown around here, that really don't mean much.

For clairification. ALL cruises sail "Inside Passage", you can NOT get to Juneau, Skagway, Haines, Hoonah etc without doing so. Round trip Seattle has the least scenic sailing. Round trip Vancouver, many times, the most. A ONE WAY cruise, can have a "sea" day going across the Gulf, but did have a coastal sailing trip this year.

KEY here is to FIRST, figure out how much time you have?? IF you wish to cruise one way, I highly recommend you add at least 5 more days, so to take advantage of being all the way there and tour Interior Alaska. I do NOT agree that taking a "cruisetour" is good way to tour, being that it is point to point group travel. Some have very poor itineraries, and people just do not have a clue about the critical differences.

Any way you travel- DO YOUR HOMEWORK, and be certain you understand fully every detail of what you are purchasing.

When doing the cruise search, look at ports, time in ports, route, glacier, itinerary, price. Budget fully for costly tours, you get only half a trip without them.

Figure out EVERYTHING and have your entire itinerary and tours selected BEFORE you get into booking.

Figure out what is important to you. For us, I wanted glaciers (and could have spent every day doing that) so we did the Princess Southbound Voyage of the Glaciers on Island Princess with both Hubbard and Glacier bay and we did a Prince William Sound boat cruise in Whittier. So yes, the flight was more to get to Anchorage but it was worth it to see what we really wanted to see. Also the last day sailing into Vancouver was absolutely beautiful. If you go to Seattle you are in more open ocean. happy planning!

Figure out what is important to you. For us, I wanted glaciers (and could have spent every day doing that) so we did the Princess Southbound Voyage of the Glaciers on Island Princess with both Hubbard and Glacier bay and we did a Prince William Sound boat cruise in Whittier. So yes, the flight was more to get to Anchorage but it was worth it to see what we really wanted to see. Also the last day sailing into Vancouver was absolutely beautiful. If you go to Seattle you are in more open ocean. happy planning!

The only real "open ocean" you enter (and it's still hugging the coastline, is from Vancouver to close to Prince Rupert. I felt no wave action at all on this cruise...bumping, yeah, but no real current from the ocean. Open ocean to me would mean from Seattle to Japan......:D

The only real "open ocean" you enter (and it's still hugging the coastline, is from Vancouver to close to Prince Rupert. I felt no wave action at all on this cruise...bumping, yeah, but no real current from the ocean. Open ocean to me would mean from Seattle to Japan......:D

Excuse me...I think that I was very much in the open Pacific Ocean last summer on the Oosterdam...west of Vancouver Island...couldn't see any land...the waves were 20 feet and the winds were 60 MPH! :eek::p:)

The only real "open ocean" you enter (and it's still hugging the coastline, is from Vancouver to close to Prince Rupert. I felt no wave action at all on this cruise...bumping, yeah, but no real current from the ocean. Open ocean to me would mean from Seattle to Japan

(que the sound of b-d chortling)

well skipper, glad you haven't been out in the weather.

queen charlotte sound, dixson entrance, sitka, and crossing the gulf are all areas exposed directly to the pacific ocean.

Archived