Fuel Charges...

planb

As has been mentioned, at the most recent quarterly meeting a Carnival VP stated that they have no intention of adding the fuel surcharge but that they still reserve the right to do so.

Just like many others, I believe that Carnival has been adjusting prices to cover much, if not all, of the increase in fuel costs. Having said that, the recent upswing in the price of crude has cost Carnival $120 million dollars this quarter alone...

:)

As has been mentioned, at the most recent quarterly meeting a Carnival VP stated that they have no intention of adding the fuel surcharge but that they still reserve the right to do so.

Just like many others, I believe that Carnival has been adjusting prices to cover much, if not all, of the increase in fuel costs. Having said that, the recent upswing in the price of crude has cost Carnival $120 million dollars this quarter alone...

Suprising to me, but when I think about it, it doesn't take much when you are putting thousands of gallons of fuel onto one of these monstors. It doesn't take much to turn the margins the wrong direction.

Has anyone heard if they will start that again? Our last time we had to pay had paid final and 2 weeks before our 15 day cruise we got hit with it. Took alot of our extra spending cash :mad:

Some time back when we got to our cabin and checked the portfolio channel that night we found a fuel charge added direct to our bill. It was $49 pp. Was not able to get it removed.

Expect to see it this June on our next trip if we have made final payment. Know the cruise price includes some of the expected price increase but not the increase that are currently projected in the market. :(

Suprising to me, but when I think about it, it doesn't take much when you are putting thousands of gallons of fuel onto one of these monstors. It doesn't take much to turn the margins the wrong direction.

Basic rule of thumb... a gallon of fuel will propel a cruise ship about 60 feet...

Some time back when we got to our cabin and checked the portfolio channel that night we found a fuel charge added direct to our bill. It was $49 pp. Was not able to get it removed.

Expect to see it this June on our next trip if we have made final payment. Know the cruise price includes some of the expected price increase but not the increase that are currently projected in the market. :(

I'm betting we won't see it. It's bad press and the bookings suffer considerably.

With a $2 billion dollar profit for 2010 Carnival is the most profitable entity in the entire vacation industry... not just cruise lines...

I'm betting we won't see it. It's bad press and the bookings suffer considerably.

With a $2 billion dollar profit for 2010 Carnival is the most profitable entity in the entire vacation industry... not just cruise lines...

Would guess you are correct and assume Carnival purchases fuel contracts 2-3 years out like the airlines. Hope you are right. We have seen fuel sir-charges here in the personal service industry...example: Roto Rooter added $4 to its bill for a service call. Same for our tree service.

Cunard just added a fuel surcharge effective December 31st to new bookings that sail after April 2011... wonder if other cruiselines will follow suit soon.

Stefani

Cunard announced a fuel charge some time ago. Someone corrected me and said this was a increase in the fuel surcharge.

I guess higher end or European cruises they feel they can add it.

Cunard announced a fuel charge some time ago. Someone corrected me and said this was a increase in the fuel surcharge.

I guess higher end or European cruises they feel they can add it.

This is for all customers... from what I understand the earlier announcement was for European customers only. But who knows... I just got an email from them regarding it... and it is for $6/person / day... I figure if Cunard increases it, I am sure other cruiselines might follow... i still think they would only do it for new bookings though, not like what Carnival did last time.

Stefani

Don't bet on it. When the surcharge was around it was VERY unpopular. Easier to just jack up rates a few bucks instead of reinstating the FC.

I hope that's the case with Carnival during this time of rising oil prices. It's much easier to swallow a higher fare than to be nickeled and dimed for surcharges.

Basic rule of thumb... a gallon of fuel will propel a cruise ship about 60 feet...

What a coincedence, I think that is the mpg we got on our 68' Plymouth station wagon...

Careful :D Host Mach deleted several post today :eek:!

Archived