Best Time to Arrive at Pan Am Pier

digital_curator

We are sailing on the Millenium in a few weeks. When we sail out of Florida, we try to get to the pier between 10:30 and 11:00 and are usually onboard by 11:30.

Is the same true at the Pan Am pier? I don't mind waiting in the terminal but don't want to end up lined up outside in the sun, like we did in San Fransisco one year- I looked like a lobster by the time we boarded.:o

Cheers,

We are sailing on the Millenium in a few weeks. When we sail out of Florida, we try to get to the pier between 10:30 and 11:00 and are usually onboard by 11:30.

Is the same true at the Pan Am pier? I don't mind waiting in the terminal but don't want to end up lined up outside in the sun, like we did in San Fransisco one year- I looked like a lobster by the time we boarded.:o

Cheers,

We have never arrived to the Pan Am Pier earlier than about noon and were able to board right away. There are seats inside if you arrive early but I'm not sure how early they would let you in. There is sometimes a line of people with luggage trying to get past the first security point to get inside the terminal but it goes quickly and you are under cover even while outside.

I arrived at the Pan Am pier at around 11:30 to board the Summit a few weeks ago. There were less than 10 people ahead of me to go through security, and no wait at all to check in. I was on board with a glass of champagne in hand by 11:45am :)

We boarded at 1:00 pm last year. Would have been noon, but there was a coast guard drill (once a year requirement, just our luck it was that day :) ) that had to be completed before they could start checking in passengers.

They had chairs set up in side the terminal building (out of the sun) and were having people fill the rows as they came in. Once check-in opened up, they did it row by row -- it was very organized and no one jumped the line.

Hi,

I departed on the Celebrity Summit from this pier on Nov. 27, 2010. I left my hotel (Conrad San Juan) at noon and arrived at the pier at 12:15. I walked up to the agent to check in (there was no line) and boarded the ship immediately. This was an extremely smooth procedure.

Chuck

On the Oct 30th sailing, there was a delay, they could not account for one person leaving the ship, and thus this delayed the whole process. When we arrived to the pier at 12:30pm from a morning in OSJ (we were B2B), the line to get through security was LONG. Thankfully, our transit passess got us to the front of the line, no wait. But I sincerely felt bad for the crowds of people having to wait outside. The pier is a little more, basic, than lets say , the one in Miami. From what else has been posted here, this long of a wait is not normal, but it CAN happen.

Archived