One Bag Travel

We are devotees of the carry-on method, also. For our upcoming cruise we are likely to even skip formal night and just do the buffet or room service to avoid the need to pack formal clothes.

Now here's a question I was hoping to see answered but wasn't: can you take your carry-on and personal item directly onto the ship just like you would an airliner? On the only other cruise we went on many years ago, we didn't see any one do this at all, and waiting hours for our luggage to be delivered to our cabin like to have drove my ever-concerned DW (and thus the rest of us!) to stress-out city.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We travel Princess a lot and always roll on our own bags as they are not the big ones. Went on an Oceania cruise with friends and neighbors and both DH and I did it in a roll aboard each. Trick is to pick one color as a base (shoes are usually the bulky culprit) and build/layer from there. I dress up plain white shirts and black pants with scarves. They take up no space and can be purchased fairly inexpensively at places like Target/Ross/Marshalls.

K

We travel Princess a lot and always roll on our own bags as they are not the big ones. Went on an Oceania cruise with friends and neighbors and both DH and I did it in a roll aboard each. Trick is to pick one color as a base (shoes are usually the bulky culprit) and build/layer from there. I dress up plain white shirts and black pants with scarves. They take up no space and can be purchased fairly inexpensively at places like Target/Ross/Marshalls.

K

What a great idea about the scarves! We are doing 3 weeks in Europe next year and plan to only have one bag each, a carry on. I am ordering one of these for each of my family members:

http://www.redoxx.com/Trip-to-China-merits-praise-for-Red-Oxx-Gear/Air-Boss/91018/10144/Product

If it doesn't fit - it doesn't go!

Such a shame to miss the fun and frivolity of formal night for want of a simple mix and match outfit. I pack one long velvet skirt, one sleeveless jewel-top (which can work as a daytime piece too), and a featherlight see-through black duster.

Almost any top works with the skirt and duster. Just add jewelry or scarf and enjoy that lobster at formal night. No one cares if you wear the same black skirt every formal night! I am a committed one-bag traveller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

One backpack (30L) here. I'm a very light packer in general (mix & match just a few items and wash clothes in the shower if needed + minimal shoes), so it's rarely more than half full on the outbound. This means that there's more room for souvenirs on the way home. I've managed to add carrying blankets home in it from both Peru and Scotland.

I love that it can always fit under the seat in front of me if there's no room in the overhead or if I'm on a small plane.

• 5 weeks later...
FootballrefJeff,

I can speak for RC as we did just that, but accident. We got to the port in Miami recently and it was not crowded at all and we just followed the other passengers in front and didn't even think about dropping it off, though we would have. After we realized it, I was concerned we wouldn't get our cabin and have to drag the cases around while exploring and getting a refreshment. Previously this happened and our cabin wasn't ready for a couple of hours. Luckily that time we had "checked" our luggage with the porters (if that's what they're called).

I think it was mentioned before, but it's good to check with the cruise like just in case.

Archived