One Bag Travel

I have diabetes and travel with insulin (a liquid), two kinds of needles, and other paraphernalia. I have only flown once since starting insulin. On my return trip, the TSA agent did not know that insulin was allowed to be carried on and is exempted from the 3-1-1 rule. I showed him the info that I printed off the TSA website, and he was perfectly fine with letting it through. He stated that he had never been given any instructions on handling insulin differently from other liquids or the allowance of needles and syringes on board if accompanied by insulin. He was very nice about it, and happy to have the info.

If I had not had the printouts, I truly believe that thinks would have ended very differently. Aside from likely becoming I'll and possibly requiring emergency medical treatment, if the insulin had been confiscated it would have costed more than $500 to replace when I got home.

TSA agents are not informed, because they are not properly trained. This is a huge failure by TSA and probably leaves our airports much less secure than we would hope for.

My 7 night cruise has become an 11 day vacation when you count in the days I'll be in Puerto Rico pre- and post-cruise. I am determined to pack everything in a wheeled carry on bag and a backpack! I have to change planes on my flights in both directions, and I am paranoid that my luggage won't make it to my final destination. I think it's worth it to pack fewer things but to know that it won't disappear! As for the liquids, I have travel sizes for my shampoo, conditioner, make up remover, toothpaste, bug spray, contact lens saline, mascara, and suntan lotion, and I plan to buy aloe and a big thing of suntan lotion at CVS before boarding the ship (since 3 ounces of suntan lotion for 11 days is definitely not enough for my pale skin!! haha) All those travel sized liquids are already in the quart-sized zip lock bag, so I know it all fits.

Even though I don't leave for 6 more weeks, I have been putting stuff on the bed in the guest room and so far, I think it should all fit in my suitcase. I will keep you all updated when I actually try to pack in a few weeks... fingers crossed that I can make it all fit in the two bags!!! :D

My 7 night cruise has become an 11 day vacation when you count in the days I'll be in Puerto Rico pre- and post-cruise. I am determined to pack everything in a wheeled carry on bag and a backpack! I have to change planes on my flights in both directions, and I am paranoid that my luggage won't make it to my final destination. I think it's worth it to pack fewer things but to know that it won't disappear! As for the liquids, I have travel sizes for my shampoo, conditioner, make up remover, toothpaste, bug spray, contact lens saline, mascara, and suntan lotion, and I plan to buy aloe and a big thing of suntan lotion at CVS before boarding the ship (since 3 ounces of suntan lotion for 11 days is definitely not enough for my pale skin!! haha) All those travel sized liquids are already in the quart-sized zip lock bag, so I know it all fits.

Even though I don't leave for 6 more weeks, I have been putting stuff on the bed in the guest room and so far, I think it should all fit in my suitcase. I will keep you all updated when I actually try to pack in a few weeks... fingers crossed that I can make it all fit in the two bags!!! :D

At least in Canada, contact lens solution is considered medicinal and is exempt from the liquid requirements. I think that's the case in the States too (but obviously double check).

At least in Canada, contact lens solution is considered medicinal and is exempt from the liquid requirements. I think that's the case in the States too (but obviously double check).

Oh wow, I never thought of that! Thanks for the heads up! I will look into it because every ounce of space in that bag is prime real estate so I wouldn't want to waste it on something that didn't need to be there haha

I have never used more than one bag no matter how long the trip was . In September I spent three days in New York followed by a seven day New England cruise followed by two weeks in Pa. with one bag .I did do laundry but I would rather do that then drag anymore bags and yes I did do formal night on the cruise .

Not only do we refuse to pay the bag fees, but we totally hate Celebrity's debarkation. Add in there that we have had lost luggage, I will just say that the one bag method works just fine for both of us. Hubby packs his suit in a suiter style suitcase and I take palazzo pants and two special blouses that I pack in my suitcase. For our other nights we take two to three pairs of slacks, six blouses for smart casual evenings, shorts, casual shirts, bathing suit, cover up and our personal items, along with three pairs of shoes. I didn't even open the expander last trip. I'm not a small gal, so my clothing isn't real tiny, however I was killing myself when returning from a trip with all of the wash, not to mention putting the clothing away that I overpacked and it was making for an unpleasant end to what was a wonderful vacation. It took so much stress off of me. I didn't feel wearing my slacks four or five hours made this dirty. I wear them much longer on a work day.

I use this method to pack.

http://www.packinglight.net/travel_info_depot.aspx

Also, most airlines allow your carry on and a personal item. My personal items is a large bag that I have my clothing for the port we are embarking from, a small pocketbook and my Nook and Galaxy5. I realize that everyone might not feel comfortable doing this, but I'm finding the older I get, the less I need. I work everything around the shoes I bring and I tend to buy neutral bottoms and I take colorful tops. I feel so much better not having to kill myself washing once I return.

Not only do we refuse to pay the bag fees, but we totally hate Celebrity's debarkation. Add in there that we have had lost luggage, I will just say that the one bag method works just fine for both of us. Hubby packs his suit in a suiter style suitcase and I take palazzo pants and two special blouses that I pack in my suitcase. For our other nights we take two to three pairs of slacks, six blouses for smart casual evenings, shorts, casual shirts, bathing suit, cover up and our personal items, along with three pairs of shoes. I didn't even open the expander last trip. I'm not a small gal, so my clothing isn't real tiny, however I was killing myself when returning from a trip with all of the wash, not to mention putting the clothing away that I overpacked and it was making for an unpleasant end to what was a wonderful vacation. It took so much stress off of me. I didn't feel wearing my slacks four or five hours made this dirty. I wear them much longer on a work day.

I use this method to pack.

http://www.packinglight.net/travel_info_depot.aspx

Also, most airlines allow your carry on and a personal item. My personal items is a large bag that I have my clothing for the port we are embarking from, a small pocketbook and my Nook and Galaxy5. I realize that everyone might not feel comfortable doing this, but I'm finding the older I get, the less I need. I work everything around the shoes I bring and I tend to buy neutral bottoms and I take colorful tops. I feel so much better not having to kill myself washing once I return.

I think you are right! We just returned from a NE/Canada cruise and ended up staying over 3 nights after due to the storm in NE. We took two small shoulder bags and Dh had his DVD player, I had my purse. We checked two large bags which weighed just under 50lb each. We got home late Wednesday and I just finished the laundry this afternoon. I still have to fold 2 baskets.

The problem with this cruise was that we didn't know if it would be really cold, wet or warm. We packed for the "just in case", and that included more shoes for both of us as well as hoodies and rainwear. Even the clothes we didn't wear had to be washed , as I feel like it is dirty being in the suitcase for days on end.

I am going to try to go back to the one bag each ( carry on ) next trip. Even if we check it for no charge, it will be easier to handle.

But oh that laundry had been something else this time. :eek:

The problem with this cruise was that we didn't know if it would be really cold, wet or warm. We packed for the "just in case", and that included more shoes for both of us as well as hoodies and rainwear. Even the clothes we didn't wear had to be washed , as I feel like it is dirty being in the suitcase for days on end.

I am going to try to go back to the one bag each ( carry on ) next trip. Even if we check it for no charge, it will be easier to handle.

But oh that laundry had been something else this time. :eek:

Exactly the way I felt Misty.....there is just something with the dirty clothing being with the clean that I just couldn't deal with, and I too ended up rewashing everything. I've actually even reduced my list for the upcoming cruise a little more. I'm packing the following:

Palazzos-2 special blouses

2 pairs of slacks (black & white)-4 coordinating blouses

2 pairs of shorts-4 summer type shirts

pashmina

a bathing suit or two and cover up (I live in a bathing suit when onboard:D)

underwear, small woolite and a few camping clothespin clips

flip flops, sandals, fancier sandals

I have tried and this all fits in a smaller than 22in. carry on, however I'm thinking the 22 in. just in the unlikely case we bring something home (another area of my life I'm clearing out!:eek:) This upcoming cruise I do have to pack a few things in my smaller *personal item*, in this case, my Celebrity tote bag for Fort Lauderdale as we will be staying with friends down there. I have no problem with making my mind up while I'm home of what I'm wearing. No one on the ship has ever seen my closet! :)

• 4 weeks later...
For those of you who are one-bag travelers - what do you do when you run across an airline that has severe restrictions on the weight or size of carry-ons? I was going to try to do the one-bag thing on my upcoming cruise, but Air Canada only allows 10 kg/22lbs per bag if you carry on (some are even worse -Lufthansa is 17.5lbs I think). I would have to check my items anyway, so I decided to just use my regular luggage.

It can be done but things have to be cut out. Wear your heaviest clothes and shoes. Wear your jacket and put stuff in the pockets.

DD took RyanAir Rome-Marrakesh. RyanAir allows only one 10k bag as carryon, nothing else.

Sigh- I have not bothered to read all of the posts, but the bottom line is when you are spending thousands on a cruise, a $25 bag charge each way is so far down that is should not matter.

IMHO, it can be used as an excuse for not taking proper clothing for formal nights.We spent 7 days on our own in Switzerland, then went on a 14 day river cruise with 3 large bags and 2 carryons

Sigh- I have not bothered to read all of the posts, but the bottom line is when you are spending thousands on a cruise, a $25 bag charge each way is so far down that is should not matter.

IMHO, it can be used as an excuse for not taking proper clothing for formal nights.We spent 7 days on our own in Switzerland, then went on a 14 day river cruise with 3 large bags and 2 carryons

I don't do it to save $25 (When I fly with Air Canada, the first bag is free anyways). I do it for the freedom of being able to grab my bag and run with it, and to be guaranteed that I won't lose my luggage.

I have a tendency to travel with just a carry-on on my way to a destination, and on the way back, I take my packing cube out, use that as my carry-on, and check my backpack (that now has 50% more space available after removing the packing cube). That way I have a place to check my duty-free alcohol.

You know, $25 isn't that much in the scheme of things, we have paid for checked luggage in the past ( American Airlines), but when you look at all the other things that aren't that much such as taxi fare, pre and post cruise hotels, upcharges for restaurants, tips, etc., it does add up to a lot.

My formal wear folds up and fits in a quart size ziplock bag:D. DH has a carry on that his suit fits into along with everything else, so one bag still works if we choose to do that. For us it is the ordeal of dragging luggage all over. I still won't pay for checked luggage if I don't have to. One reason I love the Carribean, is the clothing is lighter! I can get more in my bags!

I'm a total 1 bag convert. I don't do 1 color.
I don't do one color either. I don't get the point. For a week of vacation, I need outfits. I don't need to mix-and-match things, as I would if I wanted to be able to wear multiple tops to work with my black or brown pants. Once I've worn the pink shorts and they're in the dirty clothes, why should I care whether my still-clean things match those shorts?
I love Lush products too! I asked that question on their N/A Forum "how do you travel with Lush". Many said the solid shampoo (pucks) were wonderful. I'm going to get one before we go but I will also pack a bubble bar, bath balistics, and melts (grin).
I keep hearing about this brand. I'm going to try it -- but before a vacation!
I also think frequent travelers are better at not over packing. My sister travels the world for as much as a month at at time and only uses one bag. I have only starting traveling the past couple of years now that all my kids are grown. Guess I haven't gotten good at it yet.
I agree. When I was younger and less experienced, I overpacked. Now I'm much smarter about what to pack and how to pack. I rarely end up wishing I had brought this or that, and I only own one small, roll-on suitcase.
I don't do it to save $25 (When I fly with Air Canada, the first bag is free anyways). I do it for the freedom of being able to grab my bag and run with it, and to be guaranteed that I won't lose my luggage.
I totally agree that it's wonderful to leave the plane and by-pass the hoard of people waiting (hoping) for their luggage to show up on the carrousel. I totally agree that it's wonderful not to spend a moment worrying that your bag will be lost or that someone else will grab it (accidentally or otherwise).

However, the $50 ('cause you've gotta pay the $25 on the way home too) matters too.

i really want to attempt the one-bag travel thing, but the only issue is with my sunscreen (a particular non-chemical sunscreen) that I use. All the other things like shampoo I have in travel size so will comply with the liquid rules. I have no problem fitting all my vacation clothing in my carry-on Heys luggage. I also carry a purse(larger-sized).
Two tips:

1. You can bring multiple small bottles of sunscreen. Don't pack all your toiletries together; instead, pack one ziplock with your toothbrush, floss, and other non-liquids, then pack a second ziplock with your liquids. If you pack them tightly, quite a few small tubes will fit into the proper-sized ziplock.

2. Mail a package to your first-night hotel ahead of time, containing all your toiletries. This will cost about $10 -- less than the cost of checking a suitcase. Or, order toiletries from an online store and have them mailed to your first-night hotel.

• 4 months later...
Just remember, if you are flying you must comply with the liquid rules.

I keep a ziplock bag packed with my travel-sized toiletries. I just refill the little bottles when they get low. That way I just grab the bag and put it in my carryon.

We've traveled all over the world, and NEVER, NEVER take more than one rolling 21" carry on bag. You could travel indefinitely with one bag.

Carrying the bag on airlines just makes travel so much easier and efficient--and no more lost luggage.

See the following list for a general list of items that'll fit in a 21' roller bag: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/rick-steves-packing-checklist.pdf It needs fine tuning slightly for cruising, but the list is still applicable.

Thanks so much for the link to Rick Steves packing checklist. I have printed it out and will use it for our 3 week Europe trip.

• 2 weeks later...

DH and I have been traveling in just a carry on for years before all the bag fees. And we can check bags for free as we are frequent flyers on 2 airlines. We have always liked the freedom of not hauling lots of bags around and fretting if the luggage makes it or not. I have "travel clothes" that are light weight and can be rolled up. I am a fan of the one base color rule, usually applies to shoes -black or brown. My daughter jokes that the only thing that changes in our trip pictures is the background because my clothes are the same! Less stuff I buy the more travelling I get to do! Going on a Baltic Cruise in August and I'm sure we will carry on. And that's with the LBD for dinner.

K

We are down to 21 rollers for travel..one week or six months.

But..the goal is to get down to one carry-on. I think I can do it with ease, DW still has a challenge. It depends where we are going. DW plans to only take a carry on bag on our next trip to Costa Rica. Lugging bags and checking them is such a hassle. We find that the more we travel the less we pack and the happier we are about it.

• 3 weeks later...
One thing I do that is opposite of all the suggestions. I pack my biggest, heaviest shoes. That way, on the return, if I have purchased things, that gives me a little more room in my bag if I then wear the heavier shoes!

Great idea!

Just an FYI-- If you use the same airline all the time (where I live it's a United hub so United is cheaper 9 times out of 10), and you get that airline's credit card, and you use that credit card to pay for your flight, you won't have to pay the luggage fees. With my credit card I can get TWO free checked bags each for both myself and my spouse. I haven't paid a luggage fee ever. It also allows me to use all the priority lines to check in, go through security, and board the plane.

I still travel with just one bag because it's less stressful to carry just one bag. But it's a larger, checked bag. The only thing I carry on is my small daypack/purse. I discovered long ago that for me, trying to drag all those heavy carry-ons onto the plane and then find a place to stuff them into an overhead bin was way more stressful than worrying about a lost suitcase (Using the airline credit card also means my bags get a bright red "priority bag" tag). I especially don't want to have to stash a carry-on under the seat if it's a long flight. I need that space on a long flight to stretch out my legs. Otherwise I feel like a pretzel! And it's soooo nice to get to the airport, check my one bag, and then be hands free for the rest of the flight as I walk around airports and on and off planes.

• 3 weeks later...
i really want to attempt the one-bag travel thing, but the only issue is with my sunscreen (a particular non-chemical sunscreen) that I use. All the other things like shampoo I have in travel size so will comply with the liquid rules. I have no problem fitting all my vacation clothing in my carry-on Heys luggage. I also carry a purse(larger-sized).

Since you can carry on medicines in excess of the regulations, perhaps you could get your physician to write a prescription for the particular sunscreen or provide a letter of explanation.

We are devotees of the carry-on method, also. For our upcoming cruise we are likely to even skip formal night and just do the buffet or room service to avoid the need to pack formal clothes.

Now here's a question I was hoping to see answered but wasn't: can you take your carry-on and personal item directly onto the ship just like you would an airliner? On the only other cruise we went on many years ago, we didn't see any one do this at all, and waiting hours for our luggage to be delivered to our cabin like to have drove my ever-concerned DW (and thus the rest of us!) to stress-out city.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are devotees of the carry-on method, also. For our upcoming cruise we are likely to even skip formal night and just do the buffet or room service to avoid the need to pack formal clothes.

Now here's a question I was hoping to see answered but wasn't: can you take your carry-on and personal item directly onto the ship just like you would an airliner? On the only other cruise we went on many years ago, we didn't see any one do this at all, and waiting hours for our luggage to be delivered to our cabin like to have drove my ever-concerned DW (and thus the rest of us!) to stress-out city.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't see why not. On every cruise I see people trucking around with rolling carry on size suitcases. Often I drop my carry on off with the luggage people just so I don't have to bother, but it may depend on the cruise line.

I did the single bag with me in May on Crystal Symphony. Shocked the check-in people completely. The escort to my cabin was explaining that the rest of my luggage would be dropped off for me and stopped dead in her tracks when I said that this (backpack and 19" suitcase) were all I had.

Not the first and last of shocks on both sides. Amazing cruise ship and staff, but I am never, ever going that high end again. Not with passengers who dress every night for dinner in a completely different outfit.

-Holly

I don't see why not. On every cruise I see people trucking around with rolling carry on size suitcases. Often I drop my carry on off with the luggage people just so I don't have to bother, but it may depend on the cruise line.

I did the single bag with me in May on Crystal Symphony. Shocked the check-in people completely. The escort to my cabin was explaining that the rest of my luggage would be dropped off for me and stopped dead in her tracks when I said that this (backpack and 19" suitcase) were all I had.

Not the first and last of shocks on both sides. Amazing cruise ship and staff, but I am never, ever going that high end again. Not with passengers who dress every night for dinner in a completely different outfit.

-Holly

Holly, we too are not taking formal attire on our cruise in September. We could care less about the formal nights. Anyway, we always take a small carry on with us with meds, bathing suits, and a change of clothes just in case. We will only bring (1) other suitcase which we will check in for them to deliver to our cabin. Just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. Hope this answered your question? Happy Cruising!

Archived