Bayonne Bridge being raised?

JAMESCC

Question for you. Bayonne Bridge is being raised 63 feet to 215 feet high. The article only mention freight ships. Does this do anything for bigger cruise ships getting into Bayonne or no?

No. This section, the Newark Bay, is not a area for cruise ships.

Presently cruise ships are using Port Liberty on the Jersey side, and Brooklyn and Manhattan on the NY side of the Hudson. Only bridge is the Verrazano between them and the open sea.

That is what I thought. I thought maybe there was another way to get to Port Liberty maybe and this would help. I've been on Explorer twice now and it absolutely amazes me how close the ship comes to that bridge. So RCCL is kinda stuck with this ship size being the biggest to get into Port Liberty?

That is what I thought. I thought maybe there was another way to get to Port Liberty maybe and this would help. I've been on Explorer twice now and it absolutely amazes me how close the ship comes to that bridge. So RCCL is kinda stuck with this ship size being the biggest to get into Port Liberty?

No, Allure and Oasis would both fit as they have a collaspsible funnels.

Wasn't the Freedom here for it's inaugural? As I recall the Today Show was being televised from the ship and it wasn't in Florida.

We've been on the Explorer 3 times and would love to have another RCCL ship here in NJ. We just prefer not having to fly and can pack without worry of weight and amount of luggage.

Wasn't the Freedom here for it's inaugural? As I recall the Today Show was being televised from the ship and it wasn't in Florida.

We've been on the Explorer 3 times and would love to have another RCCL ship here in NJ. We just prefer not having to fly and can pack without worry of weight and amount of luggage.

I know that Liberty of the Seas sailed a couple of pre-inaugurals from Cape Liberty in the spring of 2007.

Your kidding Oasis size ships could technically fit under that bridge? But that ship is like 80 thousand tons bigger. Even with the callapsable funnel seems tight. I'd just like to get a Freedom class ship up here. I LOVE Explorer but would like a Freedom ship here.

You will not see the cruise ships come in where you go under the Bayonne bridge because it would take you longer to come up the Kill Van Cove[the water way between NJ and Staten Island]Also I would think that RCCL would want you to get a little better look at Lady Liberty and the Varazzano bridge.

Your kidding Oasis size ships could technically fit under that bridge? But that ship is like 80 thousand tons bigger. Even with the callapsable funnel seems tight. I'd just like to get a Freedom class ship up here. I LOVE Explorer but would like a Freedom ship here.

Oasis has 236 ft. above the water line. It is 225,282 GT. Freedom has 209 Ft. and 160,000 GT. The Verizzano Narrows Bridge has 228 ft. of clearance at mean high water.

I am not sure how the 65,000+ extra tonnage of Oasis factors into the issue. But I do agree, whatever they do with the funnel, I don't think the ship is going to be a frequent flyer in NYC.

Liberty is replacing the Explorer in late April 2012. vicki

I heard this when we were on the Explorer in 2009, and I've been waiting ever since. The bar servers stated it would be the Liberty since the port is Cape Liberty. Anticipation!

How much does the funnel retract? I remember one of the TV documentaries saying that the only time it would need to be retracted was to clear that one bridge in Europe after leaving the shipyard. But that statement was likely based on the itineraries the ship is scheduled for. I can't see the Oasis/Allure staying on the current itineraries indefinitely. Once the novelty wears off in Florida after a few more years and they introduce their next class of ship, they are likely going to move them around a bit. New Jersey would be nice as that's an easy 10 hour or less drive.

I guess we will see.When does the new cruise book come out?

I would expect the cruises for April 2012 and on to be released anywhere from March-May, 2011.

So we just have to wait a few more months.

Does anyone know when Royal Caribbean usually releases the date calendar for the exact dates they are going to release the itineraries??

Liberty is replacing the Explorer in late April 2012. vicki

I heard that rumor before that Libert will replace Explorer in 2012. Is it now fact? Oasis I'd love to see even once but I don't think we are gonna get that.

Don't automatically believe every rumor you hear unless you see it officially listed on RCCL's website. The same rumor about a Freedom Class ship replacing the Explorer in New Jersey has been around for a few years now, but still hasn't happened.

Another Example is from earlier this year... There were lots of different & conflicting rumors about what Royal Caribbean would be doing in Galveston after April 2011. They varied from RCCL bringing a Freedom Class ship in Galveston seasonally to Voyager being there year-round to RCCL pulling out of Galveston fully. None of the rumors (which most people say they heard on a ship) ended up being true, as Royal Caribbean later announced that they're sending the Mariner to Galveston in November 2011.

Serenade of the Seas is my vote...although my favorite ship is Voyager.

This is exactly what happens when you drink too much booze on New Year's Eve while trying to post on a dozen different threads at the same time! :eek:

No, Allure and Oasis would both fit as they have a collaspsible funnels.

Actually they will not fit. We were on the maiden voyage of the Allure and during Capt Zini's report on during the captains corner the question was presented to him if the Oasis Class ship would fit in any other port on the northeast coast, and the guest asking was from NY. He said no and that even though the stacks lower the ship can't lower to the levels. He did confirm that the Freedom class will and knew the Liberty had been at Bayonne. It was also mentioned that RCCL may market one of these ships to leave the caribbean but that didnt seem likely. That was asked to Lisa Bauer who was also in attendance. Several of the guests were concerned about the lack of choices now in the caribbean. Capt Zini said it would be very difficult for a ship of this tonnage and above water height to go into the med area as it can't go to many carribbean ports but the ship was created to be the destination.

Archived