Laptop & internet question

Wecruise8

The good news is, WiFi is available in ALL areas of Princess ships, including the staterooms :)

Enjoy your cruise

Srpilo

The bad news is the internet is almost always painfully slow everywhere on the ship...

We are thinking about taking our laptop on our cruise. Do you buy the internet package? Thanks for the help.

You should buy a package, since not doing so runs you 75 cents per minute. There are several package to choose from, so your decision is how many minutes do you think you need. Having your own laptop vs. using the internet cafe will save you time, since you can do things off line on your own and then copy and paste.

Does the internet cafe have a printer? Is there a charge for it? Like, per page or something?

It would be nice to go down and print my airline boarding passes the night before we disembark. I'm bringing my netbook but I don't want to bring a printer with me too!

(Still not sure if EZ check is available to us...that's why I'm asking.)

This is not true on the Golden. Just spent two weeks on her in December. WIFI is limited from staterooms. We were in C311 and we had to be right up next to the cabin door to get a very weak signal. Confirmed with the Internet Manager that there are staterooms that DO NOT have WIFI.

The good news is, WiFi is available in ALL areas of Princess ships, including the staterooms :)

Enjoy your cruise

Srpilo

Does the internet cafe have a printer? Is there a charge for it? Like, per page or something?

It would be nice to go down and print my airline boarding passes the night before we disembark. I'm bringing my netbook but I don't want to bring a printer with me too!

Yes, there is a printer in the internet cafe. I believe the charge is 50 cents per page.

Yes, there is a printer in the internet cafe. I believe the charge is 50 cents per page.

The charge is 50 cents per print, so that if you are printing an entire article, it only charges you once for as many pages there are in said action.

I bring along a small laptop, choosing to leave my 17" at home. Because the internet is so slow on the ships I send an email to people who have a habit of sending us messages with large attachments requesting that they refrain from sending them to us while we are away and compose my emails off line and then send them when connected.

50 cents per page (although 2 page print job cost same last time).

Yes you can print out the night before but beware that my recent experience was that it took 30 minutes of connect time to login, access my airline site and booking, and print. Response time can be PAINFULLY slow.

There is another thread discussing the subject of printing boarding passes & unless you want to deal with the hassles of printing your boarding passes, it's not necessary.

You can use your netbook to check-in (including I've been told Southwest to get a boarding group) but don't need to print a boarding pass during your cruise unless you have no baggage to check for your flight.

I've never seen any cruiser without luggage to check, so when using either the Self Service machines or an agent at the airport to get your luggage tags, then you will also be issued a boarding pass. So if you'd prefer to eliminate the redundancy by printing a boarding pass onboard & at the airport, then merely check-in onboard & get a boarding pass at the airport.

I'd suggest to confirm this with your airline before you cruise but it appears to be the standard...although there could be an airline who doesn't follow this industry standard.

Hopefully this will eliminate the unnecessary need for anyone to print boarding passes on the ship...unless you prefer to do it. :)

We usually fly Southwest our of Fort Lauderdale. Always just wait and print out the boarding pass when we arrive at the airport. Much easier than trying to find computer space in the internet cafe on the last night.

50 cents per page (although 2 page print job cost same last time).

Yes you can print out the night before but beware that my recent experience was that it took 30 minutes of connect time to login, access my airline site and booking, and print. Response time can be PAINFULLY slow.

There is another thread discussing the subject of printing boarding passes & unless you want to deal with the hassles of printing your boarding passes, it's not necessary.

You can use your netbook to check-in (including I've been told Southwest to get a boarding group) but don't need to print a boarding pass during your cruise unless you have no baggage to check for your flight.

I've never seen any cruiser without luggage to check, so when using either the Self Service machines or an agent at the airport to get your luggage tags, then you will also be issued a boarding pass. So if you'd prefer to eliminate the redundancy by printing a boarding pass onboard & at the airport, then merely check-in onboard & get a boarding pass at the airport.

I'd suggest to confirm this with your airline before you cruise but it appears to be the standard...although there could be an airline who doesn't follow this industry standard.

Hopefully this will eliminate the unnecessary need for anyone to print boarding passes on the ship...unless you prefer to do it. :)

We usually fly Southwest our of Fort Lauderdale. Always just wait and print out the boarding pass when we arrive at the airport. Much easier than trying to find computer space in the internet cafe on the last night.

Great. Thanks for the help fellas.

So I'll simply check-in online the night prior to debarkation, then visit a little kiosk thingy at the airport, print our luggage tags and boarding passes, and head straight to security.

I'm flying Air Canada and I wasn't sure if those little airport kiosk self-service thingys were at FLL. By the sounds of it - they are. I keep reading about people standing in the check-in line for long periods of time, especially after multiple cruise ships return that day. Are there many of the self-service kiosk thingys at FLL for Air Canada? I know in Toronto there are (too) many, and a few people I've talked to said there never had a problem walking right up and finding one readily available. Is FLL like that too?

(Princess tells me that EZ-Check IS available for Air Canada at FLL, but another CC'er didn't see Air Canada as an available carrier on a very recent EZ-Check form provided on the ship...so I'll wait and see. EZ-Check is my preference as we'd like to take a post-cruise excursion to kill time until our 2:40PM flight and not have to drag our luggage around with us.)

Archived