Marzipan on QM2?

Trainman52

For our panel of experts, a question which has probably never been posed before.

My local Italian bakery had wonderful marzipan fruits which they made for the New Year. They looked so inviting and I haven't had any in years. Yes, I could have bought some, but they are on my "no eat" list. Does anyone know if they have ever served them on the QM2? You know the old saying, "vacations are for cheating".

Thanks

For our panel of experts, a question which has probably never been posed before.

My local Italian bakery had wonderful marzipan fruits which they made for the New Year. They looked so inviting and I haven't had any in years. Yes, I could have bought some, but they are on my "no eat" list. Does anyone know if they have ever served them on the QM2? You know the old saying, "vacations are for cheating".

Thanks

I have never seen any, but if they do have them it would be at afternoon tea.

My local Italian bakery had wonderful marzipan fruits which they made for the New Year. They looked so inviting and I haven't had any in years. Does anyone know if they have ever served them on the QM2?

Hi Trainman52

These are widely available at Christmas in the UK from most high quality food shops (and even from supermarkets) however I've jet to see them on Cunard's ships, sorry.

I think we've had marzipan as a petit four on one of the ships.

That was going to be my response I recall the same but may have been in QE2 days however. Congratulations on asking a truly original question though, what about a polite request for them to make you some? The worst they can say is no.

Thanks

Hi Trainman. I want you to have a wonderful vacation. If marzipan is on your "no eat" list, don't eat marzipan on your voyage. Have a good time, don't get sick. If you really want marzipan (I love it too but rarely eat it) pick up a piece from your local Italian bakery after your voyage - just my opinion. :)

Bon voyage,

Salacia

I think we've had marzipan as a petit four on one of the ships.

Hi Ray66,

I have also had marzipan as petit four on QE2 (Caronia), QM2 (Britannia) and QV (Britannia), however I'm almost certain (from failing memory :( ) that it didn't come shaped as tiny fruits, but as small squares. Is that what you and others have had? Or have I missed out? :mad:

Very best wishes

Thank you all for the info. I will check with the Maitre d; it never hurts to ask. And no, I will not go "overboard" (bad pun) if they do find me some.

My partner is a pastry chef, so marzipan are pretty common at our house. I never really cared for it too much, but the "things" you can make out of it are facinating. If you are in the grills(Queens,especially)The Maitre D can definately get it for you. We did have it as petit fours after dinner. Give them a day or so to grant your request.

My partner is a pastry chef, so marzipan are pretty common at our house. I never really cared for it too much, but the "things" you can make out of it are facinating. If you are in the grills(Queens,especially)The Maitre D can definately get it for you. We did have it as petit fours after dinner. Give them a day or so to grant your request.

Alas, we are with the "poor people". It doesn't hurt to ask. Yes, the things that can be made out of marzipan are fascinating. When I was a kid, most of the affairs that I attended had those and petit feurs. This is a case where something looks better than it tastes. Somewhat like the candied ginger which is served in the dining room - yug :(

Hi Ray66,

I have also had marzipan as petit four on QE2 (Caronia), QM2 (Britannia) and QV (Britannia), however I'm almost certain (from failing memory :( ) that it didn't come shaped as tiny fruits, but as small squares. Is that what you and others have had? Or have I missed out? :mad:

Very best wishes

Yes in small squares. :)

Alas, we are with the "poor people". It doesn't hurt to ask. Yes, the things that can be made out of marzipan are fascinating. When I was a kid, most of the affairs that I attended had those and petit feurs. This is a case where something looks better than it tastes. Somewhat like the candied ginger which is served in the dining room - yug :(

Yes,candied Ginger can be quite a surprise. It looks sweet, but it can really "bite" you. I just find Marzipan too sweet for my taste. My partner's "Molten Chocolate Cake"(dark chocolate)on the other hand...

Archived