Spur of the moment cruise?

Dee777

Happy New Year, everyone!

My husband and I are not what you could call "seasoned" cruises, as we have only been on two, but wow are we addicted! He surprised me by suggested we go on one soon. As in, next month! Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather as he is not a spontaneous person at ALL.

Well, now his mom and dad and sister and her husband and their two teenagers want to go too. And so here I am asking those of you with experience how I would go about finding something through Carnival in rather short notice. We don't even really care where we go, just as long as we are in the warmth for at least seven days. We have done the Western Caribbean on the Valor, and the Panama Canal on the Pride. Eastern Caribbean would be nice, or Southern, just about anywhere really. Any advice? We booked previous through a PVP, but as it is a holiday I guess I have to wait a day or two to contact him, and I am too excited to do that LOL

Anyway, even if nobody can advise me, I just had to come here and let loose some of my excitement! Happy cruising!

Dee :)

My husband and I are not what you could call "seasoned" cruises, as we have only been on two, but wow are we addicted! He surprised me by suggested we go on one soon. As in, next month! Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather as he is not a spontaneous person at ALL.

Well, now his mom and dad and sister and her husband and their two teenagers want to go too. And so here I am asking those of you with experience how I would go about finding something through Carnival in rather short notice. We don't even really care where we go, just as long as we are in the warmth for at least seven days. We have done the Western Caribbean on the Valor, and the Panama Canal on the Pride. Eastern Caribbean would be nice, or Southern, just about anywhere really. Any advice? We booked previous through a PVP, but as it is a holiday I guess I have to wait a day or two to contact him, and I am too excited to do that LOL

Anyway, even if nobody can advise me, I just had to come here and let loose some of my excitement! Happy cruising!

I would start with Carnival.com - choose January and February 2011 and see what is available.

Remember that with a cruise that soon - you will have to pay the entire amount at the time of booking because final payment has already been made for those who were holding reservations.

But...the really good news is that you may be able to find a GREAT deal because at this point they will be trying to fill those sailings.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide :D

Hi Dee,

I'd be doing a happy dance if my DH said - let's cruise next month:D Of course, I could be ready for a cruise anytime!

I think you can take advantage of Pack and Go rates, which can be found on the Carnival site (search Pack and Go). They are updated on Wednesday's, so I have read. You might get some really good deals!

Maybe once you've all had a chance to look at what is offered, the gang can come to a decision.

We are looking to do the Eastern route for our next cruise, sometime in 2012. Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. Lots of beaches - perfect for a family vacation in the sun! I know the Liberty offers that route, but not sure about next month.

Also, start searching for flights as well - hopefully you can find some good last minute deals.

Good luck and let us know what you all decide!

I would do the southern carribean leaving from San Juan on the Victory. The further south the better chance for warm weather. We did this cruise in September and we thought it was great. We did decide that if we do it again(and we will) that it would be best in the winter...dec-feb.

This Dec. we went out of New Orleans to do the western carib and it was cold cold cold and windy.

The Miracle does a Southern/Eastern type of route out of Ft Lauderdale in the winter...she and the Legend are my favorite ships! Freedom (also out of Ft L) does 6 & 8 day itins which are good.

If you're trying to save money and not do alot of excursions, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are good ports where you can just get off the ship and beach it. Grand Turk also has a fun Margaritaville with a MASSIVE pool and swim up bar. I know Destiny does that route...not sure if any others do.

As has been mentioned, go look at the pack & go rates and see what you can find. Try to stay away from President's week...the rates will be higher and so will the flights! Late Jan to early Feb should be best.

What a great idea hubby had! Have a great time deciding!

You could jump on the Freedom with us at the end of the month :)

Really I like the Eastern Caribbean especially since you have not done it yet - some beautiful ports and far enough South that it will be warm.

As someone else mentioned you will need to do full payment this close but the positive side is that it will come quickly :)

Good Luck

We booked our cruise on 1/09/11 exactly 3 weeks before sail date. We too didn't care where we went or left from; we just wanted it to be for at least a week and soon! We searched 7 day cruises for January and February on the Carnival site and selected the one that was the cheapest for the category cabin we wanted to go in. Before you book be sure to check prices for flights; we had to do a little juggling to find flights that weren't sky high on short notice.

Good luck and have fun!:)

There are plenty of websites online to choose from to book a cruise, I think I have used 4 different sites over the years, all with good results, not to mention the fees are now regulated so they have to be the same site to site - or so I was told last thursday when I booked a last minute cruise. I found good airfare prices to begin with and coordinated the cruise with those dates, ended up on the Miracle for Jan 14th. Eastern or Southern Carribbean are definately my favorite destinations, you'd enjoy either! Good luck!

Amber

When you book a cruise that close to departure you can get incredible deals via discount travel agents, if you are not real picky about your cabin. If you are paying more than 50% of regular fare you usually are paying too much, booking that close to departure.

MexicoBob

When you book a cruise that close to departure you can get incredible deals via discount travel agents, if you are not real picky about your cabin. If you are paying more than 50% of regular fare you usually are paying too much, booking that close to departure.

MexicoBob

There's no such thing as "discount travel agents" that can book cruises for any less than any other travel agency or Carnival directly.

OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH OHMYGOSH!!!

Carnival Liberty, February 19... Balcony room! Eastern Caribbean! I LOVE my husband, just LOVE him!!!

Thank you all SO much for your input and advice! Our PVP got us all looked after first thing this morning!!!

Oh I am happy dancing and will be until we leave on the 18th next month LOL

Thanks again!

Dee:)

We had a little glitch with work issues etc. Apparently there were commitments we didn't see clearly, so now we have to cruise earlier! What a shame! We switched ships, now Carnival Glory, February 13 Eastern Caribbean. Valentine's Day cruise yippee!!! AND we have an aft extended balcony!

Archived