How soon can we go to our cabin once we board?

Good Afternoon Everyone! Sorry I have not responded sooner we were out "cruise" shopping yesterday in Tampa all day long. Since we live in Florida, we always have the casual clothes hanging in the closet. But at the same time being this is our first time cruising and the fact that generally speaking, because of the heat and humidity down here, we generally do not have the same dressy formal night attire hanging in the closet. Florida dressy and Massachusetts dressy are entirely two different things. So was out trying to find some dressier clothes (also we have a formal wedding to attend in May so will definitely get use out of anything purchased)!

Want to thank everyone for helping by giving the advice to me. I think I am just a bit (ok, more than a bit!) anxious because I am trying to "thinking" of every possible scenario. So I am trying to calm down by asking the advice of all you seasoned cruisers and also to just throw the chips up and let them fall where they may. And then just try to relax!

Auntie - First you're going to have a wonderful cruise with wonderful memories for sure. We sailed for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary and this is what we did. I made a door decoration which was a flat gold bell and glued an 8x10 wedding picture to it. All their neighbors continually congratulated them and they could find their cabin easily. We did a little party on the day of embarkation just prior to sailing. I left an invitation in their cabin, thanks cabin steward, with instructions to meet us in the Viking Crown lounge where we had arranged a cake. The bar is open and there are waiters so you can get anything you would like to drink. My sister-in-law decorated two champagne glasses that looked lovely beside the cake. One of my favorite pictures is of the two of them at sailaway with decorated glasses in hand standing just outside the Viking Crown doors. It was such a great day.

We'll be on Navigator doing the Eastern route in April also!!!

Great idea! Thanks! I had not been thinking of the special ways to celebrate their 50th (I was going to get to it soon!) But reading this gave me some great ideas! I could picture the whole scene as you were describing it above...how nice...they would love it and definitely unforgettable! You will have to let us know how the Navigator is! I am praying my husband has a good time on the cruise..I know, I know, how couldn't he? Right? He loves to have lots to do. His idea of vacation is climbing mountains and going, going, going all the time. I too love places like New Hampshire, CA namely, Tahoe, Healdsburg, Forestville, the pacific coast, the redwoods etc. etc. but ya know..can't always be on those types of vacations. I could use the sun, the pool, relaxation, laughter, jokes, being around other people, a few drinks. Maybe even some dancing etc. etc. So we'll see....by cruise end I hope he changes his mind about cruises! Take care!

Auntie D - During the week we also arranged with the photographer to take a picture of the whole family on the stairs in the beautiful atrium. It's one of my favorite pictures for sure.

I thought I'd go nuts on a cruise, I'm the type that needs to be on the go. I love crusing for vacation, I'm totally hooked now. I imagine you're stopping in St. Thomas, we took the ferry over to St. John and hiked in the National Park, stopping to swim at Honeymoon Beach, only accessible by hiking or boat. If you're interested email me and I'll get you more info. It's definately doable while leaving time for some shopping.

Hi Sharon, In St. Thomas we have booked the SeaBlaster speedboat/snorkeling/sightseeing tour for us at 9 a.m. (3 hrs.)(my parents are doing the Coral Sea/Coral Land tour in the submarine during that time as snorkeling is not their thing. I am thinking that this leaves time for something else during that day? Any suggestions on what you mentioned or shopping? How about St. Martaan? We have left that port wide open....any ideas?

Rather than worry about "smuggling" the Absolute and Kaluha in your luggage, why not just buy it in the duty free shop when you board the ship and pay the $9.50 to take it back to your room - probably ends up being a bit cheaper than what you would pay for it at home. JMHO

Shopping in Charlotte Amalie is always a good afternoon adventure for St. Thomas. In St. Maarten I would hire one of the local drivers for a few hours for a little tour, a stop in Marigot and perhaps a dip at one of the beachs or you could come back to town there's a nice beach right there with a promenade, shops, restaurants etc. There's a water taxi that will take you between town and the ship if you don't want to take a regular cab.

Rather than worry about "smuggling" the Absolute and Kaluha in your luggage, why not just buy it in the duty free shop when you board the ship and pay the $9.50 to take it back to your room - probably ends up being a bit cheaper than what you would pay for it at home. JMHO

Being a first time cruiser I was not aware you could do this! That would be a much better idea. Aren't the prices usually better at the duty free shop? Then we could pay the $9.50 and know that there would be no embarassing situation for my parents. Since I did read that as of January 1, 2005 the RCC is supposedly enforcing the no liquor of any kind rule.

Archived