Wheelchair Transportation in San Juan

Branchan

Does anyone know of any wheelchair transportation in San Juan? We are flying in a day early for our cruise so we won't be able to use the cruise transfers option. He is a full-time wheelchair user and can't walk at all so we need transportation with a lift. Also, any accessible hotel recommendations for our overnight stay pre-cruise would be great!

Hi cool cruiser transportation in San Juan Puerto Rico is Number 1 Transportation and Tours 787-883-0131 Fax: 787-883-0177 owner Raphael nice person and he has vans

with lifts for motorized wheelchair and manual wheelchair. I don"t know if he can accommodate people in scooters. My family and I were there 4 years ago and they were very good.

• 2 weeks later...

For hotels - you might want to look at the Doubletree. It's about halfway between the airport and the port. It's not really in a "tourist" area - but what is nice about the location is that you have several restaurants within the complex (I like Under the Trees - it will look closed at night - they just have mood lighting- including the hotel restaurant. All of this is flat. Additionally, there is a grocery store across the street - perfect for picking up any last minute things you might need.

I stayed here when I was on crutches and in a full leg mobilizer - found no problems with the accommodations - even in a non accessible room. All the bathrooms are roll in showers with large doors to the shower and to the bathroom. The accessible rooms are even larger.

• 2 months later...

when I was sailing Royal Caribbean out of San Jaun I bought the transfers and RC had to rent an accessible vehicle to transport me and my party to the ship, same thing on return.

Since the cruise line offers transfers to Able bodied they MUST provide it for disabled.

NOT that they will ever tell you that.

• 1 month later...

I was in San Juan on April 18th. I had difficulty getting an accessible taxi without calling hours in advance.

I use a Quickie power chair that is quite heavy even without me. Fortunately I can stand and get into the back seat of a taxi van. What I found what worked for me was to request, or hail, a van type taxi and explain that it would require two people to lift it in the back, and while saying this visibly reach for my wallet. The taxi drivers work together and another will stop and help and the two easily put the chair in the back of the van. I'd then give the driver a $5 tip for lifting the chair.

My biggest fear was that they would break the joystick so I would supervise the lift personally, then get in the taxi.

On one occasion a group of college kids passing by picked up the chair and put it in just for fun.

The bellmen at the hotel would lift it out without the need for a tip but upon my final departure I gave them all a tip for being so helpful.

No one likes having to tip so much but it beats a damaged chair, or no cruise.

Rick

San Diego

• 3 years later...
Does anyone know of any wheelchair transportation in San Juan? We are flying in a day early for our cruise so we won't be able to use the cruise transfers option. He is a full-time wheelchair user and can't walk at all so we need transportation with a lift. Also, any accessible hotel recommendations for our overnight stay pre-cruise would be great!

Hello. How did your trip go?!

My family is going on a cruise in September but we are coming up with the same questions/ problems you did.... Can you pass on any advice for us?

We are flying into San Juan and staying over night and leaving the next day on the cruise but I need to find an accessible hotel and accessible transportation since my son is in a power wheelchair.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My family is going on a cruise in September but we are coming up with the same questions/ problems you did.... Can you pass on any advice for us?

We are flying into San Juan and staying over night and leaving the next day on the cruise but I need to find an accessible hotel and accessible transportation since my son is in a power wheelchair.

This thread is 4 years old, and the OP has not visited Cruise Critic since Jan 2012. EM

I am in the process of researching availability of accessible transportation for a port day in early March in San Juan. I will post any information and our experience after we return.

• 1 month later...

This has most definitely been an eye-opening experience and a reminder of how much we take for granted on a daily basis.

I finally contacted the Tourism Office in Puerto Rico and they provided names of companies with wheelchair accessible transportation. I have been able to contact 2 of the companies and am finalizing arrangements with one (Rico Sun Tours) for 1/2 day reservation. I will provide feedback in mid-March after our return. The vehicles for both companies contacted have wheelchair lifts with capacity for 2 wheelchairs and 8 additional passengers (nothing smaller) and are thus, more expensive than a taxi would be. However, I have not had any luck identifying wheelchair accessible taxis (ie , not a tour company).

Here are the company names and phone numbers provided by the Tourism office (I searched for websites). I want to stress that this is not a personal recommendation as I have not have any personal experience with them. Note that I have found a telephone call is best for the initial contact with subsequent email exchange.

Rico Sun Tours

Phone: 787-722-2080

(attached photo is from their Facebook page)

VIP Luxury Transport

Phone: 787-619-2004

I have not been able to contact the following 2 companies (info provided by Tourism Co):

Arrow Handicapped Transport

Phone: 787-640-6239

WheelChair Transportation Tours

787-630-3030

Good luck in your search.

492767622_RSTvan.jpg.44a6978e2520820ecdc56dcc41be08af.jpg

This has most definitely been an eye-opening experience and a reminder of how much we take for granted on a daily basis.

I finally contacted the Tourism Office in Puerto Rico and they provided names of companies with wheelchair accessible transportation. I have been able to contact 2 of the companies and am finalizing arrangements with one (Rico Sun Tours) for 1/2 day reservation. I will provide feedback in mid-March after our return. The vehicles for both companies contacted have wheelchair lifts with capacity for 2 wheelchairs and 8 additional passengers (nothing smaller) and are thus, more expensive than a taxi would be. However, I have not had any luck identifying wheelchair accessible taxis (ie , not a tour company).

Here are the company names and phone numbers provided by the Tourism office (I searched for websites). I want to stress that this is not a personal recommendation as I have not have any personal experience with them. Note that I have found a telephone call is best for the initial contact with subsequent email exchange.

Rico Sun Tours

Phone: 787-722-2080

(attached photo is from their Facebook page)

VIP Luxury Transport

Phone: 787-619-2004

I have not been able to contact the following 2 companies (info provided by Tourism Co):

Arrow Handicapped Transport

Phone: 787-640-6239

WheelChair Transportation Tours

787-630-3030

Good luck in your search.

Make sure they have tie-downs. When we were there none of the islands we visited, including Puerto Rico had them.

• 4 weeks later...

Rico Sun Tours worked out very well for us. They were prompt, courteous, and professional. Their vehicle is comfortable, has a lift and does have tie downs. I don't know if they do airport runs (and probably not cost effective for most since it is an 8-10 passenger vehicle), but it is definitely a good option for touring.

Rico Sun Tours worked out very well for us. They were prompt, courteous, and professional. Their vehicle is comfortable, has a lift and does have tie downs. I don't know if they do airport runs (and probably not cost effective for most since it is an 8-10 passenger vehicle), but it is definitely a good option for touring.

Can I ask what type of tour you did and what the cost was?

Can I ask what type of tour you did and what the cost was?

Our intent was not a really a "sightseeing" tour as our primary purpose was to visit our grandmother's grave in the town of Bayamon. After we were done, we just asked him to drive us around other areas in the towns of Dorado and Loiza (we are very familiar with Puerto Rico) and we picked up some goodies. You can easily customize your tour.

I am not certain if the price we paid was based on our routing or was an hourly rate but we had the use of the vehicle and driver for 4 continuous hours for $360 plus 10% gratuity and 7% tax (each additional hour would be $85). The vehicle had seating for 8 passengers and the wheelchair space reportedly is for 2 chairs. I thought 2 wheelchairs would be a very tight fit, but our mom has a very large chair which allows for different positions and it probably 2 standard wheelchairs can be easily accomodated.

We were very pleased with their service.