Flights from UK to Miami for Celebrity Cruise

rifters

We are booked on a cruise on the Equinox in April (and are REALLY looking forward to it!).

We have booked flights through Celebrity to get from UK to Miami (plus an overnight pre-cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale), but as yet we have not had precise flight times or which airline etc.

Can any other UK forum members who are cruising Celebrity in the next few weeks and have already been told which airline they will be flying with, give us an idea of what to expect. Thanks.

We have cruised with Celebrity/Azamara before, but they were all in the Med - our only previous Caribbean cruise was on Coral Princess.

I would have a look at doing your own flights!! We have booked USAirways via PHL into Fort Lauderdale. We booked our own hotel and saved a couple of hundred pounds!!! We never use the transfers as they have you sitting around waiting. Last year we were in our room an hour and a half before other passengers!!! Then we took a taxi to the ship, whilst other passengers sat around for the transfer at 1pm. By the time they had embarked we had eaten lunch and left our hand luggage in the cabin....Just make sure you take an insurance that covers for the flights being delayed!!!!

We are booked on a cruise on the Equinox in April (and are REALLY looking forward to it!).

We have booked flights through Celebrity to get from UK to Miami (plus an overnight pre-cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale), but as yet we have not had precise flight times or which airline etc.

Can any other UK forum members who are cruising Celebrity in the next few weeks and have already been told which airline they will be flying with, give us an idea of what to expect. Thanks.

We have cruised with Celebrity/Azamara before, but they were all in the Med - our only previous Caribbean cruise was on Coral Princess.

I'm on Constellation from Fort Lauderdale in March booked through Celebrity and am on Virgin. From memory VS5 out leaves Heathrow at around mid-day and VS6 from Miami at about 9.30pm. They are the only daily Virgin flights to/from Miami. Pre-cruise stay is at the Hilton Fll Marina Hotel and a day room at the Wyndham Miami Airport prior to coming back.

Phil

Sorry I forgot to mention we are flying from Manchester. Phil is lucky as he gets to fly direct from LHR. I was booked with X on the US flights and staying at the Hilton Fll Marina Hotel. We were booked on X but I just found a better price on the same flights so changed it all over....They should have your flight details if you give them a ring. You can also request your PNR so you can monitor the booking yourself!!! Have a nice cruise however you get there....

We did a B2B in November 2010, using Celebrity's air programme. Would not use them again. When we requested direct Virgin flights from Heathrow to Miami, they said we could have them, but had to pay an additional £150. One week before departure, we still did not have our airline tickets. Celebrity said there was some kind of computer error stopping them issuing the tickets, but we did eventually get them. Once through immigration at Miami, we had to wait over an hour for our shuttle to take us to our pre cruise hotel. After our cruise had finished, arrangements were not much better. We sat on the shuttle taking us to our day room at the airport hotel for a long time. We eventually got on our way, only for the driver to get a telephone call telling him to go back to the port as he had left two passengers behind. As this was our first cruise, we thought we would play safe and let Celebrity handle everything but will make our own flight and transfer arrangements for our next cruise. Having said all that, it did not put us off booking another Celebrity cruise, as we had a wonderful time

I always ring Celebrity or my travel agent and request the flights I would like - having done the research of course. that way, I am able to get what I would like, rather than what Celebrity want to give me

however, I have always been able to get what I wanted - so bottom line, would check what you would like and then ring up as soon as you can = hope this helps

We fly out to out to our cruise on 21 Jan and have booked through Celebrity. I know is to cheaper to do all your own arrangements but just for the peace of mind that if something goes wrong with the flights then Celebrity can make other arrangements for you and God forbid the weather does not allow us to travel then wecan get our money back or a cruise at another time .

It is a matter of personal preference ,good luck no matter what you decide and happy cruising .

Scotslizzy

We fly out to out to our cruise on 21 Jan and have booked through Celebrity. I know is to cheaper to do all your own arrangements but just for the peace of mind that if something goes wrong with the flights then Celebrity can make other arrangements for you and God forbid the weather does not allow us to travel then wecan get our money back or a cruise at another time .

It is a matter of personal preference ,good luck no matter what you decide and happy cruising .

Scotslizzy

This is our attitude as well. It paid off for us on one cruise when we were detained by immigration in Miami for 2 1/2 hours following our flight from the UK. The Celebrity rep was still there waiting for us and had us in a van to our hotel within minutes. Her welcome helped us overcome an extremely distressing incident and helped put our holiday back on track.

Sue

We are flying out ouf Heathrow on the 11/2/2011 on American Airlines Flight No AA 57 which leaves at 09:45. We have an overnight stacy in HIlton Maina Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. On the return We fly out from Ft Lauderdale at 20:30 on the 22/2/2011 once again with American Airlines Flight No AA56. We have the use of a day room at the Wyndham Miami Airport Hotel.

All this was booked via our TA and as first time cruisers wanted to focus on enjoying the ship etc rather than the hassle of sorting out flights etc.

Be aware that if you book your flights through celebrity and the return flight is before 18:00 you will be transported straight to the airport and potentially have to hang around for anything upto 6 our or more!!. We chose the later flight which whilst it cost an extra £110 we get the use of the hotel in Miami.

Hope this Helps

Steve

Hi we sail 23rd April on constilation from ft lauderdale fly London heathrow to Miami with BA.And next door have only just booked the same cruise and are flying Delta Heathrow to Miami we all fly out day before staying in Hilton marina ft lauderdale.

Brian

In 2005 we flew from Manchester via Atlanta and met another couple on the same flight!!! When we checked in at Man we were told that Atlanta had a lot of snow and we might not get our onward flight to Jacksonville. I rang my father (in England) and asked him to book "two" rooms just in case we were snowed in, he did and gave us the details. Our friends rang the Celebrity number and they were told "if you can't get here for 4pm tomorrow let us know"!!! They didn't know what to do next!!

We were booked on the last flight out to Jax at 10pm. When they annouced the airport was closed at 9.30pm and no hotels available we just took a taxi to our prebooked hotel. Next morning taxi back to airport and first flight out!!!

To this day we are still close friends and they said I was more use than Celebrity's emergancy number. They would have helped IF they couldn't reach the ship. But no help in finding accomodation in ATL. Celebrity would also not pay the nights hotel as they already had a room in Jax.

When they arrived in Jax they waited for the transport to the ship.We jumped into a taxi and we boarded two hours before them as the coach had to fill up from a few flights. On the way home they shared a taxi with us. They have always booked there own flights since!!!!

Just make sure you have a good insurance policy for independent travellers....Depending on age SAGA is a good one!!!!!

Whichever way you do it....Enjoy!!!!

Scotslizzy

I agree. I've done my own flights and had Celebrity arrange them too. It just depends how I feel at the time. I've found it cheaper for Celebrity to do it when doing one-way for a Transatlantic, but I've saved quite a bit doing it myself at other times when a return flight is involved. Lazyness set in this time. In addition, to get the good flight prices I have to book at least three months in advance and pay for it in full, no refund if I cancel and with my circumstances it is sometimes better for me to just pay the small deposit to Celebrity for the whole thing and if I do need to cancel then I don't lose a bundle on the flight or need to sort it out through travel insurance.

I take seascot's point about the transfers. It can be a pain waiting for Mr and Mrs Disorganised to sort arrive and priority debarkation goes out of the window on the way back, but I will just go with the flow knowing they'll get me to the hotel/airport. Hilton Fll Marina is right next to where the ships arrive so I intend just hopping in a cab when I'm ready to leave on the morning of the cruise. On the subject of the custom air request, I had occasion to change my flight arrival day for my cruise in June and they said there would be a fee at which point I mentioned I was with Captains Club and they confirmed the fee wouldn't apply. Not sure if that was the £150 fee or not.

Phil

Rifters,

Hello if its any help we sailed Equinox 26 November 2010 and had an all in

package with Celebrity we had Virgin Atlantic Flights from Heathrow at

10.20 am ish from memory, and the overnight hotel was the Hilton Marina

Fort Lauderdale. Enjoy Equinox lovely ship.

Mrs Blue Sky

you will be transported straight to the airport and potentially have to hang around for anything upto 6 our or more!!.

Steve

Also bear in mind that this wait will not necessarily be airside in the departure lounge. If the airline does not have other flights during the day the check-in desks may be closed and you have to stand and wait with your luggage.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

We booked with Virgin Cruises yesterday and I have a question - I'm sure it will all become clear eventually but we have yet to receive any paperwork etc.

We will be on a 14 day b2b cruise out of San Juan on the Summit in April. We have never cruised before and have read about the process of putting bags outside the room the night before and having an overnight bag for the things needed in the meantime.

We are flying Virgin - Gatwick to San Juan and I am wondering about the debarkation process. As we are only permitted one bag each in the hold, the overnight bag couldn't be checked. If we have any containers of liquids, they can't go in the cabin, so would not be able to have them in the overnight bag. Virgin are doing the transfers, so I suspect we will not leaving the ship ourselves.

Do anybody know what the process is for such customers? I suspect the only answer is not to have any liquids in the bag.;)

Thanks!

Hi Folks,

We booked with Virgin Cruises yesterday and I have a question - I'm sure it will all become clear eventually but we have yet to receive any paperwork etc.

We will be on a 14 day b2b cruise out of San Juan on the Summit in April. We have never cruised before and have read about the process of putting bags outside the room the night before and having an overnight bag for the things needed in the meantime.

We are flying Virgin - Gatwick to San Juan and I am wondering about the debarkation process. As we are only permitted one bag each in the hold, the overnight bag couldn't be checked. If we have any containers of liquids, they can't go in the cabin, so would not be able to have them in the overnight bag. Virgin are doing the transfers, so I suspect we will not leaving the ship ourselves.

Do anybody know what the process is for such customers? I suspect the only answer is not to have any liquids in the bag.;)

Thanks!

Beth

I believe that you should contact Virgin and ask them the procedure used by them. I think that you will have to take your own luggage through customs when you disembark the ship and you can then take the opportunity to rearrange your luggage [if you wish] before giving up your luggage again for flight check-in.

Our single experience of flying with Virgin was far from satisfactory partly [but not solely] because their weight limit for carry on luggage was so low and so tightly controlled that we had to empty our carry on bags completely to comply. Unless their regulations have changed since then, even using a lightweight nylon bag, you will have great difficulty with keeping you essential overnight requirements within the weight limit.

Sue

Thanks for all the feedback and comments everybody:).

We have just heard that we will be flying British Airways flying direct to/from Heathrow-Miami.

We fly a week today. We booked air with Celebrity and got our flight details about a month before we sail date. Our flight from Heathrow on BA departs at 13.30, arriving Miami at 18.15. We fly to Heathrown from Edinburgh at 9.30, so perhaps this dictates which flight to the States we have been allocated.

It's a bit pricier than if wer had booked direct with BA, but I have the consolation that it is now Celerbrity's responsibility to get me to the ship on time, good to know with the threatened strikes.

I flew Manchester - Heathrow - Miami with BA in December when the flights were booked through Royal Carribbean. The connection at Heathrow was extremely tight as there were some weather delays, but I still made it somehow. On the way back, even though I did the Everglades excursion, I still had to wait about 2 hours for the check-in to open. Then another 3 hour wait before the boarding started. As the departure from MIA was delayed, I missed my connection at LHR, but I was put on another Manchester flight just an hour later.

As there is a possibility that the BA cabin crew are going to strike at Easter, this time I thought I woudn't want to risk it, and arranged my own flights. Flying with Continental from Manchester to Newark and then to Fort Lauderdale. Also, I'm flying in 2 days before the cruise just in case there are any problems.

Archived