self serve laundry facilities on Eclipse

CPCruisers

Who doesn't savor the sight of plus size granny panties drying on a balcony when returning to your "luxury" cruise ship after a busy day in port? Ahhh, makes me feel homesick! :D

My husband would probably not mind the sight of the "scantily-clad-female-formal-night-captain's-table" undergarments, from that other thread, drying out on the balcony.

You will do it until they decide to remove your clothes and throw them in the trash or throw you off the ship for violating ship safety policies. Be aware that the outside areas of the ship including balconies are under video surveillance 24 hours a day.

LOL, there would be a lot of people walking around the ship naked.:rolleyes:

Can you imagine if everyone decides to hang their laundry in clotheslines on their balconies? BTW, last year on the Silhouette we saw a balcony with someone's laundry. Don't know how to attach pictures, hope it works:

If everyone hung their laundry on the balconies it would send a strong message for self service laundries.:)

There are self service laundries on the Celebrity ships for the staff, why not the passengers?????

I don't want self service laundries...we are on vacation. We can do all our laundry for the price of one meal at murano. Frankly we're just not that strapped for money that we have to do our own laundry on a cruise.

Okay, someone is going to have to explain to me how hanging laundry on the veranda is a fire hazard...are you afraid the laundry is going to spontaneously combust in the sun?

I don't believe anyone should hang their laundry out to dry. I'd be worried it would blow away besides the fact that it just looks tacky. But, a fire hazard? Isn't that stretch? :cool:

I don't want self service laundries...we are on vacation. We can do all our laundry for the price of one meal at murano. Frankly we're just not that strapped for money that we have to do our own laundry on a cruise.

ghstudio, good to know who we can go to for a loan.:D

Okay, someone is going to have to explain to me how hanging laundry on the veranda is a fire hazard...are you afraid the laundry is going to spontaneously combust in the sun?

I don't believe anyone should hang their laundry out to dry. I'd be worried it would blow away besides the fact that it just looks tacky. But, a fire hazard? Isn't that stretch? :cool:

Cigarette butts could ignite the items.

Danger is when some idiot throws a lit cigarette over the railing thinking it will fall into the water. The fact is that it is unlikely to fall direct into the water but rather will be drawn back towards the ship and could land on a veranda. Normally this would be no major issue since there are not combustibles out on the veranda - but if someone has unattended laundry there.

I've walked onto my veranda and seen a cigarette butt sitting on the floor. I've also found cigarette burns on the veranda floors and tables although I have no idea if they were made by a prior occupant of the cabin or by someone throwing a butt overboard. And all this occurs despite Celebrity's no smoking on verandas policy.

Okay, that's the streetttcccchhhh... There is a chance that a lit cigarette butt will land on laundry that is significantly dry enough to catch on fire although by definition laundry would be damp and not readily combustible. So if I leave a wrap on the lounger and forget to bring it in before dinner I could be responsible for a fire starting on the veranda and causing loss of life at sea....hmmm.

I think there might be a greater chance of a metor strike or pirates attacking the ship.

The bigger issue as a fire hazard is those smoking in banned or non designated areas. I would be more worried about poluting the ocean with overboard clothing articles (and looking tacky).

Cigarette butts could ignite the items.

Danger is when some idiot throws a lit cigarette over the railing thinking it will fall into the water. The fact is that it is unlikely to fall direct into the water but rather will be drawn back towards the ship and could land on a veranda. Normally this would be no major issue since there are not combustibles out on the veranda - but if someone has unattended laundry there.

I've walked onto my veranda and seen a cigarette butt sitting on the floor. I've also found cigarette burns on the veranda floors and tables although I have no idea if they were made by a prior occupant of the cabin or by someone throwing a butt overboard. And all this occurs despite Celebrity's no smoking on verandas policy.

Cigarette butts!!!! heaven forbid, is smoking still allowed, don't these people know smoking is bad for their health..... and my washing.:D

Okay, that's the streetttcccchhhh... There is a chance that a lit cigarette butt will land on laundry that is significantly dry enough to catch on fire although by definition laundry would be damp and not readily combustible. So if I leave a wrap on the lounger and forget to bring it in before dinner I could be responsible for a fire starting on the veranda and causing loss of life at sea....hmmm.

I think there might be a greater chance of a metor strike or pirates attacking the ship.

The bigger issue as a fire hazard is those smoking in banned or non designated areas. I would be more worried about poluting the ocean with overboard clothing articles (and looking tacky).

No laundry on a line is not always damp...in fact the idea of putting it on the line is to dry it....and if it's dry, it's now combustible. I know, fires can only happen on princess.....

Ummm, not really a stretch at all. I read the entire official report of a ship that caught fire at sea, leading to many injuries and one fatality. IIRC it was caused by a cigarette butt that landed on a balcony, where the doors had been left open and the curtains were billowing out. I saw the pictures--it was really nasty. Clothes on the balcony really could lead to a fire. I agree that the chances are slim, but personally I prefer to make the odds as much in my favor as possible.

I think there might be a greater chance of a metor strike or pirates attacking the ship....

Actually a cigarette butt thrown over the rail and being pulled back onto a veranda was cited as the cause of a major fire, resulting in a death, on the Star Princess in 2006.

Cigarette butts!!!! heaven forbid, is smoking still allowed, don't these people know smoking is bad for their health..... and my washing.:D

No smoking isn't allowed on verandas but people break safety rules and damage happens. Some people throw cigarette buts over their rail and, not to name names, some state that they intend to break other safety rules....

Actually a cigarette butt thrown over the rail and being pulled back onto a veranda was cited as the cause of a major fire, resulting in a death, on the Star Princess in 2006.

No smoking isn't allowed on verandas but people break safety rules and damage happens. Some people throw cigarette buts over their rail and, not to name names, some state that they intend to break other safety rules....

If smoking was banned (lets face it, it is a health hazard) then there would be no need for "hanging your laundry" on the balcony rules.

Princess ships have self service laundries, they didn't cause the fire, cigarettes did.

Hanging laundry on balconies DOES NOT CAUSE FIRES, CIGARETTES DO!!!!!

If smoking was banned (lets face it, it is a health hazard) then there would be no need for "hanging your laundry" on the balcony rules.

Princess ships have self service laundries, they didn't cause the fire, cigarettes did.

Hanging laundry on balconies DOES NOT CAUSE FIRES, CIGARETTES DO!!!!!

Okay, I'm having a problem with your logic:

1) Cigarettes are banned, therefore no one should be allowed to smoke.

2) Hanging laundry on the balcony is banned, but you think YOU should be allowed to do it anyway. ??????

Okay, I'm having a problem with your logic:

1) Cigarettes are banned, therefore no one should be allowed to smoke.

2) Hanging laundry on the balcony is banned, but you think YOU should be allowed to do it anyway. ??????

If people didn't smoke on the balconies then there would be no need for a rule about hanging your washing securely on the balcony.:)

I do believe smoking on a ship should be banned, smoking is banned in many places around the world. Why should I be subjected to second-hand smoke anywhere on the ship. My washing does not intrude on anyone else's privacy or comfort.

Ummm, not really a stretch at all. I read the entire official report of a ship that caught fire at sea, leading to many injuries and one fatality. IIRC it was caused by a cigarette butt that landed on a balcony, where the doors had been left open and the curtains were billowing out. I saw the pictures--it was really nasty. Clothes on the balcony really could lead to a fire. I agree that the chances are slim, but personally I prefer to make the odds as much in my favor as possible.

Actually a cigarette butt thrown over the rail and being pulled back onto a veranda was cited as the cause of a major fire, resulting in a death, on the Star Princess in 2006

I think it's appropriate to post a few photos of that tragedy in which a person lost his life due to a heart attack during the evacuation to the upper decks (fortunately not off the ship). Imagine what it would be like to have a cruise ended this way due to someone breaking the rules and tossing a cigarette overboard compounded by our breaking the rules and drying laundry on our balcony.

41193.jpg

fires-on-cruise-ships.jpg

0.jpg

If people didn't smoke on the balconies then there would be no need for a rule about hanging your washing securely on the balcony.

Or maybe the ban has nothing to do with possible fire risk, but the cruise line is trying to avoid their multi-million dollar cruise ship from looking like a subsidized tenement building. :rolleyes:

Or maybe the ban has nothing to do with possible fire risk, but the cruise line is trying to avoid their multi-million dollar cruise ship from looking like a subsidized tenement building. :rolleyes:

Yet, they have a simple solution in self service laundries and choose not to use them.:rolleyes:

Yet, they have a simple solution in self service laundries and choose not to use them.:rolleyes:

Or budget to have your laundry done since they don't, and you can't. What is $50 more after you have already paid $$$$$ to be on the ship? You know when booking that they don't, so why is it a problem?

Or budget to have your laundry done since they don't, and you can't. What is $50 more after you have already paid $$$$$ to be on the ship? You know when booking that they don't, so why is it a problem?

boogs, it isn't a problem to me, I prefer to do my own washing, I have given Celebrity a go and they did an inferior job with my laundry.

Why are you so upset, do we all have to think the way you do?????

boogs, it isn't a problem to me, I prefer to do my own washing, I have given Celebrity a go and they did an inferior job with my laundry.

Why are you so upset, do we all have to think the way you do?????

Not upset. Just curious as to why it is such a problem for the few of you.

Archived