Oceania Get Stingy

les221b

Being one to always try to see all sides of an issue, I'm trying to figure out if there is a reason for O to change this policy, other than simply saving a few pennies?

Personally, I get more enjoyment by giving our points away to someone else at the end of the cruise. The satisfaction of this almost trivial random act of kindness is worth much more than any souvenier we could have received.

Personally, I get more enjoyment by giving our points away to someone else at the end of the cruise. The satisfaction of this almost trivial random act of kindness is worth much more than any souvenier we could have received.
That's exactly how I got many of my (now worthless) 23 Big O points! Some lovely stranger doing a random act of kindness. I was very surprised & grateful. But foolishly, I did not cash them in, hoping for a better future gimme. How's that for paying it forward! LOL.

That's exactly how I got many of my (now worthless) 23 Big O points! Some lovely stranger doing a random act of kindness. I was very surprised & grateful. But foolishly, I did not cash them in, hoping for a better future gimme. How's that for paying it forward! LOL.

I would still bring them along, just in case.....:D

Being one to always try to see all sides of an issue, I'm trying to figure out if there is a reason for O to change this policy, other than simply saving a few pennies?

The cruise director did give a reason:

I don't know whether this actually happened or if it was only a possibility, but the concern was that someone might come on board with 500 points hoarded over a few years of cruises and clean out the stock of prizes, leaving no prizes available for anyone else. If this really was their justification, a better solution would have been to limit either the number of points which could be carried over to something like 25, or to place a time limit on the carryover period, such as one year.

Les

The cruise director did give a reason:

I don't know whether this actually happened or if it was only a possibility, but the concern was that someone might come on board with 500 points hoarded over a few years of cruises and clean out the stock of prizes, leaving no prizes available for anyone else.

Les

This is a pretty hypothetical situation and thus a lame excuse (if true). Who would have 500 points and if they did why would they "hoard" them just to buy the same stuff that they could have bought to start with. It's not like you can buy a free cruise with 500 points :D

There are any number of better solutions for this, as you and wripro have already suggested.

and a logical one, to void carry over of accumulated Big O points. However, I simply cannot understand what it could be. Surely the dollars saved in unredeemed points cannot be but a blip on a financial statement, if they need to be noted at all.

To my mind, this simple act dimishes, albeit oh so modestly, the incentive to participate in activities, the incentive to be a frequent cruiser, and the incentive to eventually wear or carry the O logo.

My personal carry over of 6, count 'em 6 Big O points will now be part of my legacy of collectibles for my grandchildren.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived