Santa Monica

NANCYR2

Tying together other comments in this thread, Santa Monica hotels run the full range from rather seedy places to 5-star properties. So you really need to provide a price range or look on Expedia, Orbitz, etc. to get an idea of what's available. Definitely avoid the bottom of the price range; if you are on a tight budget there are better areas to suggest.

Also, SM is great, but is a poor location if you are focusing on Universal and Hollywood. A rental car will be both an asset (getting around easily) and a liability (traffic and parking). I believe there are several tours that go from the SM-area hotels and visit Hollywood....Universal is out of the way however.

I wouldn't stay in Santa Monica in a hotel. If you want to be close to Santa Monica, then stay at the Ritz Carlton in Marina del Rey. Great location and the Sunday brunch is over the top.

If money's no object . . .

On the westside of Los Angeles, I would stay at the Bel-Air Hotel, which is in the hills north of UCLA. Unique and special place.

If you want to be closer to San Pedro or Long Beach ports, then I'd stay at the new Terranea Resort on the Palos Verdes peninsula, on the site formerly occupied by Marineland. Spectacular.

Regardless of the price range, I would avoid any hotel in downtown Los Angeles or near LAX.

We stayed at Cal Mar hotel. It was within walking distance to the Third Street Promenade and walking distance to the beach. We did not have a car but I think it was about a thirty minute drive from the port to Cal Mar. It is not a fancy place. They look like 1960's furniture but clean and the location was fantastic. We had a one bedroom apartment.

Archived