Celebrity Tours in Europe , how are they?

jbranch

We are on the Solstice May 26,2011 from Barcelona visiting Rome, Naples , Athens , Mykonos, Santorini, Ephesus and Valetta. Has anyone taken the Celebrity tours of these ports ? We are having a hard time deciding which tour of Rome to take.Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes. I did a similar cruise last May on the Solstice.

Santorini - We did the volcano hike. It was okay, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would have rather spent my time there walking around.

Ephesus - We did the House of the Virgin Mary and the ruins. It was well worth it.

Athens - We did the Acropolis and a quick city bus tour of highlights.

Naples - I have been on my own to Pompeii (worth seeing) and on this past cruise we did the Amalfi Coast by land and sea. It was an all day tour, but well worth it.

Mykonos - We did the tour of the ruins and then spent the last half of the day walking around the town. It was worth it as well.

Rome - Have been there on my own a couple of times. So much to see. The Vatican is a must.

You are going to some great places. This was one of my favorite cruises.

I have done similar on Century and Equinox. They were great cruises.

In terms of the ports - my thoughts are below

Rome - great place to visit. It is c1 hour on a coach or a train trip. there are very few cabs @ the port - so to get the train, you would need to walk or take the port shuttle, to the gates and then walk along to the train station. The train is doable but risky, due to the distance you will be travelling. I would probably take an organised tour, as you are covered for any delay in your return and you can see many things in a short space of time

Naples - the port is huge. We have been twice. The first trip we did a cruise tour - seeing capri and pompei - it was a long trip but really worth while. would recommend it.

the second time, we went out alone and got a cab to the station and then got the train to visit the other site to see - Herculaneum - it was spectacular - well worth the visit and easy enough to do yourself - really quite cheaply - but it was very hot, would suggest you go very early and then you are before the heat and before the tours tend to get there

Athens - been twice. Fab. both times we have done our own thing - their is a train/tram station about 25 mins walk from the port - altho it was a little tricky to find at first, would recommend you getting a map. then the train/tram is Euro 1 to athens and you can get off, right at the bottom of the acropolis - they are very frequent - so would recommend doing your own thing.

Mykonos - very cute - nice for a wander around but not much there. Think there is a tour you can take to another island with some ruins and these were recommended to us by our table mates - so worth thining about

Santorini - fab. Very lovely. You have to tender in, from the ship in the volcanic crater - you can still see small signs of the cruise ship (Louis lines?) which went down around 2 years ago. You can then take a cable car up or ride a donkey up or walk the winding path up - it is a long way but well worth it. Best to go early, before the donkeys are plying their trade as they are a bit scary when they go past. The town is lovely, some nice shops but lovely for a walk round

Ephesus - port is quite nice. you can walk about to a small island, with a small castle on it. Ephesus is well worth a trip - we took the cruise tour which left early - we got there before the big rush and were there early - which is much better for the heat, as there is very little shade available - really worth the trip tho

hope this is helpful - have a great cruise and enjoy these wonderful ports

we used Celebrity tours on both our Eastern & Western medit cruises & had all but one excellent guide (the one in Florence talked way too much & we had little time to shop...great leather there!).

the guide for Rome was one of the best--our tour was Imperial Rome. Saw quite a bit with minimal lines to get in... a nice lunch was included..it is a long ride so going with the ship's tour worked out well--they make 1 comfort stop on the way..

For Turkey-- to Ephesus, make sure you get on the first tour bus as it does get crowded as time goes on--but what am amazing place.. you can leave the tour & skip the carpet sales pitch at the end it you prefer (it is interesting but very long)... after the tour we had a great lunch at the hotel that used to be a stop for caravans..right near the big market..

also had great guides for the Naple's Pompei tour, enjoyed Oia tour in Santorini (which is very hilly & crowded) & just did our own thing on Mykonos--loved it!

have a great time!!

We are on the Solstice May 26,2011 from Barcelona visiting Rome, Naples , Athens , Mykonos, Santorini, Ephesus and Valetta. Has anyone taken the Celebrity tours of these ports ? We are having a hard time deciding which tour of Rome to take.Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mykonos & Santorini can be done on your own. Take the ferry to Delos from Mykonos.

Athens- contact George the Famous Taxi Driver(google him) he was fabulous.He will build a tour just for you.

Ephesus-what ever you do see the Terrace Houses ( there is an extra charge fo them but very worth it).

Rome- the port is a good hour+ from Rome

Naples- Do the Amalfi coast and Pompeii

Carole

Archived