New to RCI - Questions on different topics

Hi! I've sailed twice with Celebrity (Millenium and Solstice). We loved both trips (even though I was quarantined in my stateroom because of a norovirus on that last one).

Now, we want to make a family cruise this time around. By family, I mean I'll have baby-boomer-father-and-mother, Gen X-my-wife-and-I, Geny-brother, and 20 months old Sophie, my daughter. Celebrity seemed to fit less the bill, especially with my daughter, so we thought about RCI. It is said to be more family friendly.

We are aiming at the Allure of the Seas/Oasis in the summer run of Labadee, Jamaica and Cozumel. We've seen pretty much all the rest before, and we really want to enjoy our time on board this time around.

I have a few questions:

a) What difference should I expect between a RCI cruise and a Celebrity cruise? I was told the service on Celebrity was better, as well as the food, but reading the review, not that many people seem to complain.

b) Concierge class. I can't seem to find any mention of it. Does it exist on RCI?

c) Toddlers - Any good review from parents who have been on the Oasis class, with young kids? You can just point me to the review, I've read many, but didn't find much about that aspect.

d) Call me silly, but being Canadian, and from Quebec at that, I don't like to sit directly in the sun around the pool. Are there spots in the shades around the pool, and is getting a few chairs together to make a family HQ complicated? On the Solstice and the Millenium, it was a bit of a pain.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer some or all of the questions, and sorry for my poor english ;)

Hi! I've sailed twice with Celebrity (Millenium and Solstice). We loved both trips (even though I was quarantined in my stateroom because of a norovirus on that last one).

Now, we want to make a family cruise this time around. By family, I mean I'll have baby-boomer-father-and-mother, Gen X-my-wife-and-I, Geny-brother, and 20 months old Sophie, my daughter. Celebrity seemed to fit less the bill, especially with my daughter, so we thought about RCI. It is said to be more family friendly.

We are aiming at the Allure of the Seas/Oasis in the summer run of Labadee, Jamaica and Cozumel. We've seen pretty much all the rest before, and we really want to enjoy our time on board this time around.

I have a few questions:

a) What difference should I expect between a RCI cruise and a Celebrity cruise? I was told the service on Celebrity was better, as well as the food, but reading the review, not that many people seem to complain.

b) Concierge class. I can't seem to find any mention of it. Does it exist on RCI?

c) Toddlers - Any good review from parents who have been on the Oasis class, with young kids? You can just point me to the review, I've read many, but didn't find much about that aspect.

d) Call me silly, but being Canadian, and from Quebec at that, I don't like to sit directly in the sun around the pool. Are there spots in the shades around the pool, and is getting a few chairs together to make a family HQ complicated? On the Solstice and the Millenium, it was a bit of a pain.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer some or all of the questions, and sorry for my poor english ;)

I'm sorry that I don't have useful information for you, but I just had to throw in a comment... your English is almost perfect - I had no reason to suspect it wasn't your mother tongue. No apologies necessary!

No "concierge class" on RCI, but if you book a Grand suite or above, you will get the use of the Concierge lounge.....drinks at cocktail hour, continental breakfast in the a.m. (I'd rather have a REAL breakfast....) and the concierge can assist you with pretty much whatever you might need assistance with!

On Oasis and Allure, they do have "daycare" for the under -3 group...so that might be a nice thing.

Yes...you may be able to find shade...those areas do tend to fill up, especially in the afternoon when everyone realizes how "fried" they're getting! If you get out there early, you should be able to seat everyone in the same area! Just don't be a "chair hog" and hold chairs for folks who won't be showing up for hours!

I think it's hard to compare any other ship to Oasis/Allure...they are in a class by themselves! The service should be great...it always has been, for us! The food....probably not what you're used to on Celebrity, but you will NOT go hungry...that's a fact!

You will have absolutely no problem finding shaded areas on the Oasis/Allure to park yourself for the afternoon - on the far side of the pool deck (15) there is a walkway and almost all the chairs on the outside edge are shaded. There is also my newest happy places on the aquatheatre end - the secret spots on 11, 12 & 14 that have overhangs with sun coverage.

With 6000 on board in December we never had a problem for our group of 6 finding places to sit - some of us sun worshippers and some who like the shade.

I can't help you out vs celebrity as i've only sailed RC but did talk to a few people who had little kids on both the Oasis & Allure and said Royal Tots/Adventure Ocean kids clubs were amazing.

I'd say go for it - you'll have a great time :)

No "concierge class" on RCI, but if you book a Grand suite or above, you will get the use of the Concierge lounge.....drinks at cocktail hour, continental breakfast in the a.m. (I'd rather have a REAL breakfast....)

Once again wrong information. The poster was asking about the Oasis/Allure. Your information about breakfast in the CL is incorrect. There is a breakfast menu that includes made to order eggs, french toast, pancakes. breakfast meats etc. A "real breakfast" is available in the Oasis CL

There is also a nice hot lunch menu available.

Guest maddycat

I've sailed both Celebrity and RCI.......my two favorite cruise lines. Service on RCI is just as good as on Celebrity. I personally think that the food is better on RCI. Pasta is far superior on RCI. On sea days in the MDR there is a wonderful salad bar. The dinner buffet is much better, with many more choices. I also find the entertainment better on RCI.

I've sailed both Celebrity and RCI.......my two favorite cruise lines. Service on RCI is just as good as on Celebrity. I personally think that the food is better on RCI. Pasta is far superior on RCI. On sea days in the MDR there is a wonderful salad bar. The dinner buffet is much better, with many more choices. I also find the entertainment better on RCI.

Hmm, then what would you consider as Celebrity's strong point?

Archived