Backpack for Excursions?

burlybear

Hi Everyone,

I really appreciate all the great advice from all the experienced cruisers here. We will be going on our first cruise (Carnival Dream, Jan 22) and I just was wondering about stuff to bring on excursions. I would like to possibly carry a backpack (with sunscreen and water bottles and such) but I am not sure how feasible this is on certain excursions - like the cave tubing. What do any of you do or recommend??

Thanks!

A backpack would be fine. Official excursions will have some way for you to store your belongings...Either a locker, it can be stored on the tour bus/van...etc...

It is advisable to keep anything of value on you though (money, ID, credit card...etc). You can buy little waterproof pouches that can be slung around your neck or fastened to swim wear for water activities.

Enjoy!

Bring whatever you're comfortable carrying....I try not to bring anything too large, or I end up being the "pack mule"....not much fun!

If you're on an official tour, you can leave most things in the transportation. Don't bring more than you'll need....and what you'll need will vary depending on what you're doing! Just play it by ear! A tote can work well, too.

Thanks! :) Yeah I am trying to be relaxed and laid back - but I am definitely the sort of person who likes to plan everything in advance. I definitely don't want to end up carrying to much, but unfortunately my husband will burn to a crisp unless we constantly put sunscreen on him, so its more for the necessities.

If you end up at a beach on any excursions, sand will get into that back-pack. I usually bring a simple, plastic-like beach tote. Then I know I can rinse it out really well with water, and my cameras/electronics are safe from getting sand in them for the next 6 months.

I do, however, carry a back-pack with me to get thru airports, and as my carry-on for the cruise.

We always take some sort of back pack. For land excursions we usually take our full sized 2 compartment pack and for tubing or water excursions we take our smaller one strap pack that's just big enough for a large water bottle, sun screen, and a few other needs.

A small backpack's a good idea, but -- as others have said -- don't put your valuables in it. It's not all that secure. It's fine for towels, sunscreen, and snacks, but keep your ID, credit card and other important items on your person.

Our last trip, I took a very small and lightweight back pack. It was very useful having 2 or 3 different zipper pockets, and there was a mesh pocket for bottled water which was great to have...very little chance of leakage.

More often than not, I had the packpack slung over just one shoulder (and across my chest), so as others have mentioned, a tote would work fine too.

OP- please come over to the roll call board and join the group. We are already talking about meet and greets...

I learned this a long time ago. I buy the small drawstring back packs and everyone carries their own. Each one would contain for example a beach towel, a water bottle, change of clothes/shoes depending on the excursion...

If they are big enough to go to school and carry a back pack they are big enough to carry their own stuff on an excursion.

I got four at Shoe Show made by Nike for our upcoming Dream cruise. They have a cross through pocket on the front perfect for bottled water and then 2 secure pockets on the inside and are just large enough for what we need, change of clothes/shoes and a towel.

Also bring "waterproof" baggies for your goodies. I use one personally when I snorkel for my cash, room keys and a single credit card. You can get them anywhere or google from Amazon. I don't trust the waterproof camera bags but I trust the ones for Kindle on the beach or for cash and cards while snorkeling, etc are great. Over the last 10-yrs, I've had some leak. Have fun.

I always carry a backpack (High Sierra) with me when I am in port. DH also has a backpack that has a padded section for camera gear and another section for general items.

In Europe I put little locks on the zippers and carried my valuables in a leg safe. Never had a problem. Going to a beach is a different if your entire party goes into the water etc. They do have security bags that lock around a tree etc.

Edit - You can see our backpackstraps in the photo taken at Victoria Falls, Zambia. Our backpacks go everywhere!

I bought a daypack made by Magellan that also has wheels and collapsable T handle, it doubles as a carry-on when flying. Works great! The main drawback is it is a bit heavy, and it's uncomfortable to actually carry it as a backpack. I usually carry it around by the handle on top or extend the handle an roll it. It will hold more than you'll probably want to lug around, which is a mixed blessing. As has been mentioned, I tend to stuff it full and it winds up weighing 25 pounds (esp if I take my old 35mm camera equip.)

Good luck with whatever you chose, and have a great cruise!

JHC

Archived