New York Departure vs Miami

barb-ottawa

We have done two NCL cruises, both departed from Miami. We are looking at possibly booking a Gem/Jewel cruise in late March from New York and we're wondering about the differences we should expect in the two ports. Being in March, I would expect the weather out of New York to obviously be chilly, but I'm assuming it warms up pretty quickly. We would be flying into Newark which I understand is not too far from the port. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

I would fly to Miami.

Leaving from NYC in March means that about half the cruise will most likely be somewhere between chilly and truly cold. In addition, the ports are limited to a 1/2 day at Port Canaveral, Nassau (not one of my favorite places) and NCL's private island.

In addition, I have found that the Miami piers are usually better organized than NYC making embarkation and deembarkation less of a hassle.

Finally, although Newark is not that far from the pier, it is an expensive taxi ride and there is no easy way to get their by public transportation.

We'll be taking our 4th cruise from NYC and couldn't be happier knowing we don't have to deal with the airlines.

Sure, the first day or two may be chilly, but you're on vacation! You can enjoy those at sea days lounging around reading, napping, drinking, dancing, gambling, eating, etc.

We live in CT and our first cruise from NYC was on HAL's Noordam and we liked it so much, we've sailed the Gem twice and we're only 27 days from sailing the Jewel. The drive to the cruise terminal in Manhattan was very easy as opposed to worrying about:

The flight being cancelled

The flight being late

Our bags being over 50 pounds

Having a second bag charge to pay

Our luggage never making it to FL

And

The absolute ZOO that Ft.Lauderdale airport is the day you're fiying back home.

We did that three times (sailing from Ft.Lauderdale) and even though I absolutely love FL, would love to live in FL (hear that lottery fairy?) the day you disembark and head to the airport with thousands of other passengers from all the other ships........it can be a little stressful. When we sailed from NYC, we had a nice simple one hour and 45 min drive back home.

So all I can say is, give a try from NYC and I bet you'll enjoy it as much as we have.

We can drive to NY in 5 hours so we don't have to fly. We find it very easy to cruise from NY and are leaving on a 10 Eastern Caribbean next week. We found the port to be very organized and efficient in NY and the customs process on return is easy. Customs at Miami is a gruesome process--just as bad as TSA screening at airports.

I would fly to Miami.

Leaving from NYC in March means that about half the cruise will most likely be somewhere between chilly and truly cold. In addition, the ports are limited to a 1/2 day at Port Canaveral, Nassau (not one of my favorite places) and NCL's private island.

In addition, I have found that the Miami piers are usually better organized than NYC making embarkation and deembarkation less of a hassle.

Finally, although Newark is not that far from the pier, it is an expensive taxi ride and there is no easy way to get their by public transportation.

This is all true

Did not see where you would be flying FROM.

Folks that can drive to NY - easy choice.

Otherwise, I would normally say fly to Miami.

Valid point!!

We can drive to NY in 5 hours so we don't have to fly. We find it very easy to cruise from NY and are leaving on a 10 Eastern Caribbean next week. We found the port to be very organized and efficient in NY and the customs process on return is easy. Customs at Miami is a gruesome process--just as bad as TSA screening at airports.

Your cruise is for 10 days...that makes losing a day and a half on each end due to cold weather a bit more tolerable.

If you arrive into Newark, you can easily take the airtrain (free) from the terminal to a NJ Transit NE Corridor train (~ $10 per person) right to NYC Penn station, and take a taxi for $10 to the pier.

While cruising from FL is definitely my preference itinerary-wise, spending what amounts to one whole vacation day traveling to FL and back makes the NY/NJ ship departures very appealing.

If you can sail, say May-September, there are other lines/ships besides NCL from NYC too.

We chose to sail from NYC because the flights to Florida in March are too expensive (our schools are on spring break). I refuse to pay more for a 3 hour flight than I do for a 7 day cruise! We tried booking the flight really early this year and they were still more than $500pp. We also love NYC, and are looking forward to having a few days to catch Broadway shows before we depart on the Jewel.

If you arrive into Newark, you can easily take the airtrain (free) from the terminal to a NJ Transit NE Corridor train (~ $10 per person) right to NYC Penn station, and take a taxi for $10 to the pier.

I checked as I was just checking the schedules for 1/22 for our CTN on Jewel.

One way fare from Newark airport to NY Penn is $12.50 per person.

I think the main advantage of departing from a Northeast port is if you live within driving distance. That can offset the extra sailing time and/or chilly weather. If you have to fly anyway, I'd choose Florida as a departure point.

We got a decent price from Super Shuttle from Newark to the port. Spent the night at a hotel near Newark (free airport shuttles) and just went back there to get the shuttle. They would not pick up at the hotel. Simple. Check in for the Jewel was not better or worse than checking in at Miami.

Well, it was a little longer....the Jewel had NORO virus and they were cleaning extra so we got on a little late. However, were offered a free upgrade to outside cabin so NO complaints!

It was a 10 day Canadian itinerary 2 years ago in Oct.

I envy those people who can drive to the pier. Unfortunately flights from Canada to Miami/Ft Lauderdale are usually more than the cruise cost. New Jersey was a little cheaper, but I'm not excited about New York in March and the itinerary is not too appealing. Oh well, gonna have to pay the price for Miami, but just hate to pay more to get there than to cruise! Thanks for your comments.

I'll let you know if there are any appreciable pros and cons after I get back. Sailing the Gem out next week of NYC...all of my previous departures have been FL, save one out of Galveston, TX...I have to fly to pretty much any port regardless.

Happy Cruising! cheers2.gif

Archived