Best thing you ever found snorkling

Randus62

Well, snorkeling I'd have to say coming across a bunch of puffer fish. First time I had seen them in the "wild", and were very interesting to be around. They were surprisingly curious. Also came across a bunch of Moray Eels in Hawaii, which quite frankly scared the crap out of me. :) No found loot though.

Scuba diving I have found a regulator and tank (good stuff that nobody claimed), and a car (Honda). Found a dive light too. Also spent some time with sea lions and otters, which was very fun.

My husband found a new pair of Bvlgari sunglasses snorkeling in Hawaii. He thought the arm of the glasses was part of a sea urchin, so he dove down to have a closer look. There was nowhere to turn them in, so I now have a GREAT pair of sunglasses worth about $400. I do feel sorry for whoever lost them, though.:(

My wife! Well, sort of...:rolleyes:

On our first date there was a wild pod of spinner dolphins, including baby dolphins, that swam right past/around us about 100 yards off a pristine, deserted beach.

Best thing I have found whilst snorkeling was a gal's driver's license, from Minnesota. She sent me a letter thanking me, after I sent it to her via post.

While scuba diving, that's another story...we make it a point to dive the local spring-fed river here after Spring Break and at the end of the summer...I've found a lot of clothing, some jewelry, a full tackle box, a disassembled gun...quite the variety.

If you mean fish, the coolest thing I've seen whilst snorkeling was a whale shark (but we went looking for them). Whilst diving, the coolest thing...wow...there are too many to name. :)

What a great and fun question!!! Thanks for posting it!!! Our "best" thing was a huge starfish, it was probably 12 inches wide. The funniest thing that ever happened was some kind of sucker fish got ahold of my DS and DH, they came crawling out of the water like crabs, just screaming!! We all laughed so hard. Definately one of those "cruise memories" you never forget! The four of us are scared to death of ocean critters, is anyone else scared when they are snorkling? :eek:

What a great and fun question!!! Thanks for posting it!!! Our "best" thing was a huge starfish, it was probably 12 inches wide. The funniest thing that ever happened was some kind of sucker fish got ahold of my DS and DH, they came crawling out of the water like crabs, just screaming!! We all laughed so hard. Definately one of those "cruise memories" you never forget! The four of us are scared to death of ocean critters, is anyone else scared when they are snorkling? :eek:

Only when the theme from JAWS starts playing in my head.

sea turtles in Kauai. A common sight, I guess, but I was thrilled

When we were staying in Poipu we would walk down to the ocean each morning and watch the sea turtles in the little coves. We never swam with them, but it was awesome enough that both my wife and I now have sea turtle tattoos (our only ones)

Not really "scared" because I know better, but it sure makes your breathing increase when something big swims by in the kelp bed (was sea lions), or when you see a big shark or barracuda nearby.

I was snorkeling around a ledge in Bermuda (always go on my own, to my shore snorkel spots :) ) and almost, ran right into a LONG Man O War. At least 3-4 foot long. Was REAL glad I snorkel with fins, as it allowed me to back peddle in a hurry and get out of there.

I was snorkeling around a ledge in Bermuda (always go on my own, to my shore snorkel spots :) ) and almost, ran right into a LONG Man O War. At least 3-4 foot long. Was REAL glad I snorkel with fins, as it allowed me to back peddle in a hurry and get out of there.

Now THAT would scare me.

That would have been a major ouch!

Not really "scared" because I know better, but it sure makes your breathing increase when something big swims by in the kelp bed (was sea lions), or when you see a big shark or barracuda nearby.

That's why I avoid cold water diving and kelp beds...things coming around corners are kind of freaky!

Sharks and barracuda don't bother me, scary-wise...but I've been in with some big ones. I guess it used to...but not so much anymore. It's more excitement now!

CIMG5438.jpg

Utila_21032009445.jpg

That's why I avoid cold water diving and kelp beds...things coming around corners are kind of freaky!

Sharks and barracuda don't bother me, scary-wise...but I've been in with some big ones. I guess it used to...but not so much anymore. It's more excitement now!

CIMG5438.jpg

Utila_21032009445.jpg

What are those? They look scary!

CIMG5438.jpg

Utila_21032009445.jpg

Great pictures!

What are those? They look scary!

The first photo is my dive master in Cozumel being flanked by a sizable barracuda. He was just being an extra dive buddy...looking for any possible fish that might be using us as cover, I think. The second photo is a whale shark, a juvenile, only 25 feet long...completely harmless to people (well, unless you get hit by the tail, I suppose). A truly maginicent animal, they are!

Great pictures!

Thanks...I'm hoping my new camera and underwater housing (which I just received for Xmas...woo hoo!) will do as well. I think the camera will do fine, as the image quality between the two is comparable on land, so far. This past September, while down in Bonaire (neighboring island to Aruba and Curaçao), my underwater housing for the camera that took the photos was broken (thankfully, on land, so the camera is still good for topside photos), and they no longer make the housing now. :(

The first photo is my dive master in Cozumel being flanked by a sizable barracuda. He was just being an extra dive buddy...looking for any possible fish that might be using us as cover, I think. The second photo is a whale shark, a juvenile, only 25 feet long...completely harmless to people (well, unless you get hit by the tail, I suppose). A truly maginicent animal, they are!

Thanks...I'm hoping my new camera and underwater housing (which I just received for Xmas...woo hoo!) will do as well. I think the camera will do fine, as the image quality between the two is comparable on land, so far. This past September, while down in Bonaire (neighboring island to Aruba and Curaçao), my underwater housing for the camera that took the photos was broken (thankfully, on land, so the camera is still good for topside photos), and they no longer make the housing now. :(

Before our first cruise we got a Cannon underwater camera and love it! Got a great pic of a small stingreay swimming beneath me.

CIMG5438.jpg

Utila_21032009445.jpg

Why is there a "certain" song by Heart running through my head right now? ;)

Now thanks to this thread I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for some neat treasures on our next snorkeling adventure!:D

Before our first cruise we got a Cannon underwater camera and love it! Got a great pic of a small stingreay swimming beneath me.

That's what I ended up getting...a new Canon SD4500IS. The housing is by Ikelite though.

Why is there a "certain" song by Heart running through my head right now? ;)

Now thanks to this thread I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for some neat treasures on our next snorkeling adventure!:D

I love that song...and it always runs through my head when I am in the water and see a barracuda! Always glad to inspire others' love of the sea...I know I am thoroughly infected!!! ;)

Believe it or not, 30+ years ago when we were newlyweds my DH actually found his gold wedding band that must have slipped off his finger earlier in his snorkling day. He was with a friend, not me at the time, and the two of them searched for quite some time time when he realized it had slipped off, realizing it was a rather hopeless search as the water was deep there near a reef off the south Florida coast. Lo and behold, as they were about to call it a day his friend saw a glint coming from a rock formation and it was DH's ring! An absolutely amazing FIND!

Believe it or not, 30+ years ago when we were newlyweds my DH actually found his gold wedding band that must have slipped off his finger earlier in his snorkling day. He was with a friend, not me at the time, and the two of them searched for quite some time time when he realized it had slipped off, realizing it was a rather hopeless search as the water was deep there near a reef off the south Florida coast. Lo and behold, as they were about to call it a day his friend saw a glint coming from a rock formation and it was DH's ring! An absolutely amazing FIND!

That was amazing luck!

Archived