Best thing you ever found snorkling

Randus62

P8110190.jpg

What I remember from my first ever snorkeling adventure is this crab, which I disturbed while snorkeling in the Bahamas. Just a crab, you say? Yeah, well, they can move pretty quick when they want to and, when he started coming towards me, I discovered that I can move pretty quick in the water, as well!

Since I've only been snorkeling 3 times, and 1 was with Stuart Cove (we saw lots of reef sharks, but not counting that, since that was the point of the excursion), mine aren't exciting.

I have 2 things, both were at CoCoCay (RCCL's private Bahama Island). The first time I ever went, my DH and I saw a Manta Ray swim near us. This was in '04. Then, in Oct. '09, my DS and I were snorkeling, and when we turned around, we realized we were being swarmed by jellyfish. There was a school of Sgt. Majors with us, and they were swimming ahead of us and eating the jellyfish in our way. We got out of there without being stung, which to us, was amazing. I have a pic of it on a different computer. Will try to post it tomorrow if I can find it.

Great thread!! My turn!

We're in Bermuda where there's a quite a bit of snorkelling and scuba .... as well as house-break-ins and other thefts. These two latters usually get thrown into sea from cliff-top to try to hide evidence.

Long ago I had my moped stolen .... 6 weeks later I attended the weekly scuba diver's get-together and a policeman member there asked me if I'd had my bike stolen just before. I said yes, he said he's found it! The next week found me and a couple of buddies to a spot under the Admiralty Park cliff where I found my stolen bike. We put it upright and wheeled it along the sand bed back! Didn't have a camera - it was quite a sight!

Another time I went on a scuba diving excursion to North Rock and we found a full scuba tank. we had fun letting the air out of it - playing with it. A few days later at the get-together at the dive club my buddy mentioned it and a guy there screamed that it could have been his tank!! He was out there 2 years before on his boat and it got capsized in rough sea and he went back later to retrieve things that went overboard, but could not find his tank!

My hushand saw a cash register while snorkelling - apparently if was from a break-in and got thrown into sea after money was removed from it.

Believe it or not, 30+ years ago when we were newlyweds my DH actually found his gold wedding band that must have slipped off his finger earlier in his snorkling day. He was with a friend, not me at the time, and the two of them searched for quite some time time when he realized it had slipped off, realizing it was a rather hopeless search as the water was deep there near a reef off the south Florida coast. Lo and behold, as they were about to call it a day his friend saw a glint coming from a rock formation and it was DH's ring! An absolutely amazing FIND!

I'd say that was a "God thang".......

My daughter had a sterling ring so not valuable, but had lots of sentimental value to her and I. We were at our lake home; she was swimming and lost it in the lake. Needless to say, both of us were sad. We snorkeled for hours looking for it but couldn't find it. Weeks later, I had nothing better to do, so got in and started looking. All of a sudden a boat went by and was giving me quite a rocking in the water, as well as the weeds on the bottom of the lake. When a weed moved, I saw a glint of silver, waited for more movement and sure enough there was the ring, sitting on top of a rock which was covered in green mossy stuff. Took me several trys to retrieve it, but I got it!!!

My daughter had a sterling ring so not valuable, but had lots of sentimental value to her and I. We were at our lake home; she was swimming and lost it in the lake. Needless to say, both of us were sad. We snorkeled for hours looking for it but couldn't find it. Weeks later, I had nothing better to do, so got in and started looking. All of a sudden a boat went by and was giving me quite a rocking in the water, as well as the weeds on the bottom of the lake. When a weed moved, I saw a glint of silver, waited for more movement and sure enough there was the ring, sitting on top of a rock which was covered in green mossy stuff. Took me several trys to retrieve it, but I got it!!!

Great story!

That whale shark picture makes me jealous as heck!! Those are incredibly rare to see let alone photograph!

We saw four that day in Utila. One came up beside our boat, one I missed completely because I didn't get in the water in time, one was at depth and was hard to make out in my photo

Utila_21032009439_2.jpg

The one pictured above was coming up under us as I got in...have a couple more shots, as well:

Utila_21032009440.jpg

Utila_21032009442.jpg

Utila_21032009443.jpg

Definitely a trip of a lifetime!!!

What I remember from my first ever snorkeling adventure is this crab, which I disturbed while snorkeling in the Bahamas. Just a crab, you say? Yeah, well, they can move pretty quick when they want to and, when he started coming towards me, I discovered that I can move pretty quick in the water, as well!

Wow...he moved towards you? Usually they will try to go the other way! And yes, they are very fast!

The first time I ever went, my DH and I saw a Manta Ray swim near us. This was in '04. Then, in Oct. '09, my DS and I were snorkeling, and when we turned around, we realized we were being swarmed by jellyfish. There was a school of Sgt. Majors with us, and they were swimming ahead of us and eating the jellyfish in our way. We got out of there without being stung, which to us, was amazing. I have a pic of it on a different computer. Will try to post it tomorrow if I can find it.

Was it really a manta??? They are usually more pelagic than stingrays or even Eaglerays. The jellies might have been harmless comb jellies. I snorkeled with a lot of them just bouncing off my skin in Cancùn. I'll look forward to seeing the pic!

NOTHING to compare to the whale shark - I mean WOW!

But I have seen turtles and octopus.

And I did find a gold anklet once.

Well, like I said, we really went looking for whale sharks, they were in season...so we kept checking for boils and making sure we had a really fast boat!

I've never found anything gold. :(

Long ago I had my moped stolen .... 6 weeks later I attended the weekly scuba diver's get-together and a policeman member there asked me if I'd had my bike stolen just before. I said yes, he said he's found it! The next week found me and a couple of buddies to a spot under the Admiralty Park cliff where I found my stolen bike. We put it upright and wheeled it along the sand bed back! Didn't have a camera - it was quite a sight!

Brilliant! Shame you didn't have a camera for that one!

Great thread!! My turn!

We're in Bermuda where there's a quite a bit of snorkelling and scuba .... as well as house-break-ins and other thefts. These two latters usually get thrown into sea from cliff-top to try to hide evidence.

Another time I went on a scuba diving excursion to North Rock and we found a full scuba tank. we had fun letting the air out of it - playing with it. A few days later at the get-together at the dive club my buddy mentioned it and a guy there screamed that it could have been his tank!! He was out there 2 years before on his boat and it got capsized in rough sea and he went back later to retrieve things that went overboard, but could not find his tank!

My hushand saw a cash register while snorkelling - apparently if was from a break-in and got thrown into sea after money was removed from it.

But did it ever start again?

At Stingray City in Grand Cayman, I started snorkling and looked down to see bills swirling on the bottom. Went down and got it and kept looking and ended up with about 45 dollars. Must have been somebody with money in their swim trunks pocket and forgot about it. Paid for my tour.

At Stingray City in Grand Cayman, I started snorkling and looked down to see bills swirling on the bottom. Went down and got it and kept looking and ended up with about 45 dollars. Must have been somebody with money in their swim trunks pocket and forgot about it. Paid for my tour.

That's a good one!

Awesome find for you!!! I'm jealous!

The first time snorkeling was at Coki Beach in St. Thomas and we actually spotted someones uppers (dentures!!!) on the sandy bottom!!

Good thing I had rented a float belt along with my mask and snorkel as my sister and I were laughing so hard I could have drowned!

While snorkeling off Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman I saw what looked like some sort of leather bound book with metal corners. Looked really interesting but I wasn't able to dive deep enough to get it and DS was off on a wave runner so no help nearby. So I tried to find reference points on the beach and estimate how far out I was etc. with hopes of coming back with DS and having him dive down to get it. Well, you all know how that turned out - never did find it again.

Loved the pictures of the Whale Shark - How cool! Thanks for sharing! I would freak out seeing something that big. I did see a small Barracuda at Great Stirrup Cay. DS thought he saw a small shark there, just beyond the drop-off.

What is the best thing you ever found while snorkling? I found someone elses mask and another time, found a pontoon from a boat.

2 snorkeling adventures, one on Anacapa Island off of California was surrounded by Leopard sharks maybe 15 of them...leisurely paddle out 25 minutes, because sharks became agitated, jet ski paddle back 5 minutes. LOL exhilarating to say the least. 2nd reef in french polynesia, George the box fish who was so friendly, I thought he was coming home with us. Oh, last one Hawaii island of Maui, watching unobservant waders in surf get almost bit by the huge turtle that was feeding below them.

Archived