The Indian option in the MDR.

Nemspy

Going on Splendor again soon and looking forward to more Indian food. Does anyone know if Day 1 on this chart refers to embarkation day or the technical "day 1" of the cruise which is usually the following day? I'm pretty keen on the Chicken Tikka Masala on day 1.

for anybody curious, here's a sample menu for a 7 day cruise...

4dc10725.jpg

all subject to change and such. for longer sailings, the chef will make selections for the additional days.

Actually for me it was exactly like a restaurant would make which was why I liked it so much. Most Indian fare isn't blazingly hot unless you order a curry specifically known for this like a vindaloo.

I love Shrimp Vindaloo!!!!

I will have to ask about this my next cruise. Both my daughter and I love Indian food and I know she would enjoy this! Thanks for the info OP!

Did you end up trying the Indian out? Did it work out for you on Miracle the same way it did for us on Spirit?

Thanks for reminding me to report back on this. Should have done this 6 weeks ago when fresher in my mind.

I did get it one night on the cruise. Choice was veg or chicken and I picked the chicken.

Ordered regular apps and than the Indian stuff came out.

There was about 5 dishes of which some I had no clue what they were.

Was dishes of chicken in some sort of sauce, vegetable stew of some sort, curry, rice and do not remember the other one.

The problem was everything was way to spicy for me so I did not have too much of it. Found out later that I could have asked for mild.

Luckily for me our waiter ordered me an e xtra lamb entre and after a few bites of each dish gave up on it.

Several other people at our table tasted what I had and all thought it was too spicy.

I will try this again but I will definitely order as mild.

thanks for that report about the Indian food, I love it, but dont like it so hot/spicy that I dont taste the food. So I will remember that I can order mild next time on Carnival, and I definitely will try that option next Carnival cruise.:)

My husband and I had the Indian dinner on the Miracle last month. It was so good! We were served 4 small bowls each, one of rice, one of some lentil dish, a chicken dish and a lamb dish. It was spicy but not too spicy. We had to give 24 hr. notice and the only choice we were given was vegetarian or meat. We had the regular appetizer and were too full for dessert. We would do this again too.

My husband and I had the Indian dinner on the Miracle last month. It was so good! We were served 4 small bowls each, one of rice, one of some lentil dish, a chicken dish and a lamb dish. It was spicy but not too spicy. We had to give 24 hr. notice and the only choice we were given was vegetarian or meat. We had the regular appetizer and were too full for dessert. We would do this again too.

Oh so the mystery meat was lamb.icon7.gif

Thanks for reminding me to report back on this. Should have done this 6 weeks ago when fresher in my mind.

I did get it one night on the cruise. Choice was veg or chicken and I picked the chicken.

Ordered regular apps and than the Indian stuff came out.

There was about 5 dishes of which some I had no clue what they were.

Was dishes of chicken in some sort of sauce, vegetable stew of some sort, curry, rice and do not remember the other one.

The problem was everything was way to spicy for me so I did not have too much of it. Found out later that I could have asked for mild.

Luckily for me our waiter ordered me an e xtra lamb entre and after a few bites of each dish gave up on it.

Several other people at our table tasted what I had and all thought it was too spicy.

I will try this again but I will definitely order as mild.

I didn't find what I had overly spicy, but then I'm a spicy food fanatic so I guess it all depends on what you're used to. It's nice that you can order it mild if you like. That's a nice tip for people reading this thread to keep in mind.

We just got back from the 9-day Spirit and had the vegetarian Indian dish from the MDR on night 1 and it was simply AMAZING...one of my very favorite meals from the entire cruise. My vegetarian friend was very disappointed to have missed it. It was very authentic and a nice assortment of different things. I could have had it every night! :)

• 2 weeks later...
We had YTD and it was no problem. You don't have to let them know what time you will arrive, although the chef may appreciate the info.

That's good to know. I want to order the Indian Meal, but wasn't sure if I could with YTD. Did you have to inform the waiter that you ordered the Indian meal? And that's a good idea to give them a heads up about what time I will be dining.

That's good to know. I want to order the Indian Meal, but wasn't sure if I could with YTD. Did you have to inform the waiter that you ordered the Indian meal? And that's a good idea to give them a heads up about what time I will be dining.

At YTD I would let the waiter know when s/he takes our order.

ps---when did you book the Splendor?:mad:

I had the Indian lunches as often as I could while on our Dream cruise this last January. I absolutely LOVED it but found most dishes slightly more salty than I would prefer.

Now that I know we can have Indian choices for dinner, I will probably order them every evening on future cruises. I find the regular food mostly disappointing and bland in the MDR to the point of actually considering not cruising with Carnival again. This is really good news!

I really enjoyed my Indian dish on the Liberty! It was delicious:)

They do Indian food on the Liberty? Awesome. I sail on her in a few weeks.

I needs me some Chicken Tikka, some vindaloo, some butter chicken, some chana masala, etc. Oh man I am going to love this cruise from the food alone I think.

Please tell me it isnt tones down Americanized stuff. I want my forehead to get a little moist from it.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

Anyone following this thread may be in interested in responding to one of John Heald's questions on Facebook today. He asked if people would be interested in having the Indian Vegetarian Dinner from the first night available every night.

Perhaps if people show more support for Indian there ("the beards are listening"), who knows what will happen? :) Isn't it Princess that has a different Indian option on the main menu every night? (Hopefully it's Princess - I don't want to out myself for being disloyal recently and looking at other cruise line menus - lol.)

Anyway, I said heck yes to John's question. That same old - usually solitary - option for vegetarians in the MDR has really been getting me down. I think this next cruise - back on Splendor, because no one in this price range has a great spa that is also fully co-ed so I can enjoy it with my husband - I'm special ordering Indian every night we're not in the steakhouse. :p

• 3 weeks later...
Question for folks who have had Indian Food in MDR - do they serve Naan or Roti with their entrees or only rice??

Someone please answer :-)))

If Naan,Roti is similar to peta bread, the answer is no. Our meal came w/rice. They have different entrees each night which they might have it. You would have to ask.

Tom

They do Indian food on the Liberty? Awesome. I sail on her in a few weeks.

I needs me some Chicken Tikka, some vindaloo, some butter chicken, some chana masala, etc. Oh man I am going to love this cruise from the food alone I think.

Please tell me it isnt tones down Americanized stuff. I want my forehead to get a little moist from it.

Had the chicken and was much too spicy for me. Did not know it at the time but could order the toned down option. Will definitely do that next time.