Southampton today (5 January)

tom_uk

I can't help thinking that it would be fun to be in Southampton today. No less than four ships are leaving on either a world cruise (a circumnavigation) or a grand voyage: Arcadia (world cruise), Balmoral (world cruise), Black Watch (grand voyage) and Queen Elizabeth (world cruise). I know that at one level they're just departures, and in the summer these get pretty routine, but surely there's something special about embarking for and then sailing on a long voyage such as these - there must be a special feeling in the air. Especially on a cold January day.

It would be good if they all left together in line astern, but I see that the Fred Olsen ships are scheduled to leave at 8pm, whereas the other two are leaving earlier. (Saga Ruby is in port, and is also leaving but not on a world cruise/grand voyage.)

I've been having a look at the itineraries. Of them all, the one that appeals most to me is Black Watch's grand voyage around South America: 77 nights, and (as far as I can see) 36 days in port, including multi-day stays at Rio, Buenos Aires and Callao. That would be a wonderful voyage.

Matty - thanks for the update. I'd been looking at Southampton AIS web site, and I hadn't spotted QV all the way down at the QEII terminal by herself.

Wow - 6 ships in one day. I know they're smaller ships, but that must be as many as Southampton can handle at once, isn't it? In fact, I'd guess that in summer, with the big boys in port, the maximum number of ships would less: with a selection drawn from QM2, Ventura, Azura, IoTS, Celebrity Eclipse, plus side-plates of Oriana, Aurora, Oceana, Arcadia, QV, QE, etc, surely there wouldn't be room for more than five?

(The number of passengers would be higher with five of those ships, of course.)

The idea of a longer cruise for part of the World (such as South America over 77 days ) appeals more than just a circumnavigation in 90ish days.

I understand there is one company who do a 365 day world cruise and every evening has a different menu!

The idea of a longer cruise for part of the World (such as South America over 77 days ) appeals more than just a circumnavigation in 90ish days.

There is a satisfaction in doing both types of cruise, a circumnavigation and a 'destination' cruise.

Mike

Also, it's exactly a year until we leave for the world cruise on Oriana. Wonder if there will be as many ships in port in 2012? Already started shopping for it :D

Pat

Have you read my notes and tips on preparing for a World Cruise?

Lots of things you don't think of if you haven't done one before :):)

Mike

Have you read my notes and tips on preparing for a World Cruise?

Lots of things you don't think of if you haven't done one before :):)

Mike

Yes, thankyou Mike. I printed it out before we booked and also used your tips for our trial P&O cruise last October. It was very helpful.

Pat

• 1 month later...

Within two days of departure on Arcadia - we had Force 12 (gusting) and big "uppies and downies" (40ft). I heard that two of the smaller ships had to turn back - dont know what their ultimate fate was - for us we missed the Azores and had a 7 day voyage to Barbados.

Barry

Archived