beginners scuba diving

ms1badtk

For your own safety I would take a diving class from a certified instructor in your home state. There is no way a 1 hour class from a island or cruise operator can prepare you for any emergency that you may encounter when diving.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1294216

A DISCOVERY from a sanctioned training organization (typically PADI) is done under close supervision at beginner depths, and can actually count as part of the required training for a certification class. I recommend a Discovery, by a sanctioned training organization, b4 taking the full class to ensure diving is right for you . . .

We did a discover scuba dive in Grand Cayman through Sunset House and it was fantastic. The instructor was was very thorough in his 1 hour course and gave us a test before he took us out. This was a private trip and there were only 4 of us. Our instructor never let us out of his sight. One lady was having a difficult time so he helped her every step of the way. Because of her difficulties, we probably weren't able to go out as far as I would have liked, but this guy was all about safety. This was a shore dive and we were able to get a good feel for if we like scuba diving or not, which is exactly what discover trips are about.

I did the Beginners SCUBA 2 yrs ago in Cozumel and yes it is PADI and they are very thorough and safety concious.I am happy to say that I enjoyed it and finally last week was able totake the course while on vacation last week in the Dominican Republic so in Apr I'll be able to do the cert. Dive

To answer your original question, I took my kids to Eden Rock in Grand Cayman for a "discover scuba" excursion. It's about a 10 minute walk from the tender pier. Very professional outfit and nice diving right from shore. I would highly recommend them. I've also seen Sunset House recommended here many times. They're just a little further down the road; I think you'll need a cab to get to them but I'm not 100% sure about that part.

Great diving & staff. Going with them again next cruise. Usually not crazy crowed either. Just FYI, if you are sure you want to get certified, you can take the book work required online thru PADI, and finish your certification at Eden Rock (Or any PADI dive shop I'd imagine). Just coordinate if with them or who ever you choose.

Archived