Alaska - Evening Dressing in a Colder Climate?

Wannaknow

We are newbies, both to Oceania & Alaska. Since we live in CA & I am freezing now in this low 60's climate, I am wondering if people wear winter-type (sweaters - turtlenecks - warmer) clothes in dressing for dinner?

Even though we will be there 6/29 - 7/11/11, I have trouble imagining wearing summer-type clothes in that type of climate.

Will I be out-of-place in black & turtleneck sweaters etc.

Would appreciate your learned comments:)

You can wear whatever you like in the dining venues at dinner except cutoffs and jeans (no flip flops or sneakers at dinner). The men need a collar on their shirt or polo but that's all that is required. If you are comfortable in warmer clothes than by all means wear turtlenecks. Neither my husband nor I ever dressed up.

I have never been to Alaska but from what I heard the weather in summer can be foggy, damp and cold. However, I wish you sunshine on your voyage and have a great time.

On our Norway cruise I wore short sleeve top sometimes or a light weight sweater to dinner

They do have heat on inside the ship when it is freezing out:D

I do not think Alaska gets down to 32F in the summer but who knows... we were in Svalbard mid summer & it was very cool

Been to Alaska three times: 1984, 2004 & 2006. Will be going again this year in August round trip out of SF. The cruise in 2004 was one of the hottest

summers in decades...91 degrees F in Skagway and even hotter in the Yukon.

My suggestion is to check the weather in the ports you're going to visit. Try weatherUnderground, or WeatherBug if you use Firefox.You will get at least a weeks forecast. Based on the weather projections, we will pack accordingly.

If you have ponchos, do pack them. We always do. Unless it's an unusual season, it will rain.

As far as dress on board, the previous posters have covered it.

Hope this helps.

I have been to AK twice during June/July. Both times I packed like I was going to Antarctica and both times it was sunny and in the 70s most of the time. However, you should feel free to take with you anything YOU think will make you comfortable!

In my mind, Alaska will be cold. I guess I realize it could be a lot warmer than I expect. How in the world does anyone pack for a 12 day cruise in Alaska considering these climate variations with today's airline restrictions????:confused:

In my mind, Alaska will be cold. I guess I realize it could be a lot warmer than I expect. How in the world does anyone pack for a 12 day cruise in Alaska considering these climate variations with today's airline restrictions????:confused:

Simple- layers!;)

We went from 90 F in France to 29 F or less near the North pole without a problem

1 suitcase each ...same as we always take no matter where we cruise

Layers, lightweight jackets

I doubt you will have really cold temps ...take a rain jacket that will help insulate you against the breeze

Some things, it's just not worth taking chances on! We went in August and froze!!! If you spend a lot of time on your balcony or on deck, you will need earmuffs and gloves. A scarf would be a bonus! When you are sailing in waters that cold, or walking around on ground that is frozen, you can't help being cold. We used fleece items from Lands End. They are really light weight and no need to worry about wrinkling. They don't take up much room in the luggage and when layered wth a light weight rain jacket (that protects from the wind) you should be okay. Enjoy!!

We went from 90 F in France to 29 F or less near the North pole without a problem

1 suitcase each ...same as we always take no matter where we cruise

Layers, lightweight jackets

I doubt you will have really cold temps ...take a rain jacket that will help insulate you against the breeze

Thank you everyone - I really appreciate your information..

LHT28 - dare I ask what you take in your 1 suitcase? We take 3 bags each on a weekend trip. I really can't imagine how you do it. Our cruise is 12 days?????

Thank you everyone - I really appreciate your information..

LHT28 - dare I ask what you take in your 1 suitcase? We take 3 bags each on a weekend trip. I really can't imagine how you do it. Our cruise is 12 days?????

Try doing a trip by motorcycle ..you learn very quick how to pack light :D

We went for a month long cruise

You will find you do not need to take it all

Mix & match, washable works fine

Lyn

You are my hero, Lyn!! I will never learn how to pack light!! Just returned from a 5 day Caribbean and had to pay to check the extra bag!

When some husbands are oggling (sp) other women's beauty, mine is envying the husbands with the fewest bags.... "Why can't you be like that blonde over there - she only has 1 bag......"

Let's see if I can learn before Australia, that will be the real test. Never been away for a month before.

Lynn, You're right about the motorcycle trips. My husband and I travel on the bikes in summer, and anywhere from a weekend to a 3-week trip can be packed in one bike bag each! It's just a matter of prioritizing, and of being willing to do laundry if needed!

We also take only one bag on a cruise. Our first cruise we travelled with friends and took a bag and a suit bag each. My friend didn't want to lose luggage, so she made us carry everything on (this was before current airline policies). We had a short transfer in the St. Louis airport, only going about four gates with about 30 minutes between flights. But we learned when we got there we were at one end of the concourse, and four gates away was at the opposite end of the airport!!!:eek: We ran, with our two (heavy) bags from one end of the airport to the other. We made the plane but it was NOT fun. After that experience we learned to travel with ONE bag each!:) We've never regretted it for a minute!

Kay

We, too, manage with one bag each but they are largish bags. I think a 26" and a 28". Blessed be the genius who put wheels on suitcases, however, or else we'd be in trouble.

Does it count that I also take a computer bag for laptop and whatever else I can stuff in it as my carry on? Because I would never qualify for "only one bag" if I were limited to carry-on.

The problem for me is shoes ... I want at least two pair of walking shoes on a trip plus at least one reasonable sort of "dress" shoe for dinners. Even if there are no formal nights on a cruise, I still don't want to wear my clodhoppers in to dinner!

We also take 1 small carry on with meds, camera & laptop

My 26" suitcase (like Mura) has wheels (AWD) what a blessing that was

We took 20in ones before I got the larger one a couple of years ago

Now we have a bike trip this summer so I will have to re-learn how to pack in a small bag that fit in the sidecase of the bike :eek:

Laundry is key to packing light for longer trips

I put out all the things I think I need then come back a day later & try to fit it in the suitcase ...then I pare it down from there

I do not need 20 tops...do I ?

Lyn

I've found that regardless of the outside climate (Alaska, Caribbean, Northern Europe), the dining room temperatures in all cruises I've been on have been pretty similar. Obviously everyone is different, but I tend to be most comfortable in long sleeves or a light sweater or jacket in those rooms.

From speaking with friends, Alaska has ever changing climate. When we went, we did layers - waterproof windbreaker and sweater, short-sleeved shirts, hat and gloves and a warm scarf/shawl type thing. It worked. Friends packed like that and froze - temperatures were much cooler than when we went. Your turtleneck would be a good idea, as would the black. Think layers, a pair of gloves and something to cover your head (the deck can get cool near the glaciers), a waterproof jacket since it rains a great deal and mix-and-match outfits.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Alaska, if it helps. People often perceive or plan for Alaska based on their preconceived notions about it being a desolate wasteland of blizzard snow 11.5 months out of the year. Those who do actually come visit are often shocked at how beautiful and varied it is.

My advice for a summer cruise would be to pack a few shorts, a lightweight rain jacket, and a hat of some sort. (bonus if the hat has foldable flaps that can flip down over your ears) Maybe a sweatshirt or such too. That will cover you for the weather extremes for that time of year. But your main clothing to pack should probably be lightweight long sleeve pants and short sleeve or lightweight long sleeve shirts, especially those where the sleeves can be rolled up for versatility. A lot of ExOfficio's summer/fall clothing works well in Alaska. (one of my favorites)

You won't need actual snow/winter gear in the summer, unless you plan on playing IN a glacier or such. (walking on glaciers can be cool, but not arctic)

Wildblue, so you live in Alaska! You're right about the preconceived notions. I just can't imagine me in Alaska in short sleeves and shorts. I'm cold here in SoCal. However, I will pack some warm-weather clothes & keep abreast of the weather in the ports we are visiting via computer.

For people who usually take 2 bags apiece for a 2 nite weekend trip, this is going to be interesting...

Alaska and Vancouver get the same rap. We have watched people arrive at the airport with fur coats, parkas on etc and the outside temperature is over 75F. Remember when you are looking at temperatures in Canada, our temperature is measured in Celsius not Fahrenheit. We actually spent a day in Glacier Bay in July when it was so warm you did not need a coat. Do take layers and you will find that they keep the ship quite warm so you may not need a turtleneck while dining. If you really feel the cold, then why not invest in a pair of thermal wear which would keep you nice and warm, light to pack, and can be easily changed out of when you are inside the ship.

If you insist on lots of warm clothes consider rolling them or investing in travel plastic bags that you force the air out of to compact your things. We traveled to "The Big Chill", an outdoor ice hockey game in Michigan in early Dec. Down parkas were folded , squeezed and taped with packing tape. Took up very little room,(in one suitcase) were not wrinkled and were happily worn as it was cold and damp. For Aug and Alaska it's a crap shoot:rolleyes:. We will have a fleece each,a cashmere sweater each, light jacket, hats,gloves,plastic ponchos and scarves. No sandals, walking shoes, black flats for evening, couple pr chinos for him,dress slacks and blazer for him (this is how he travels!!!) 2 capris for me, 2 long pants for me, cords and cotton,( no whites), no jeans,, no shorts, 3 or 4 tees, long sleeve and short for each.. Pashima shawl and a couple of dressy tees/tops for dinner and black silk pants. Underwear, pjs and sox..should be able to do this in 1 suitcase for each and he may even be able to do a carry on size. I will try.icon12.gif Since there is a laundry aboard there should be no problemicon4.gif It seems that people always take much more than they need. It may be that you will need to check on High Tea in Victoria @ the Empress(if you go) because that last time I was there they had a dress code. Who knows???

I'm getting such a kick out of this thread..Living in Fla it's cold for us when the temps are in the 60's (F)..Just like some of you who live in Southern. Calif..

We're booked with Friends, on the Regatta April 12 for 14 days..This is our second Oceania cruise as we normally cruise on HAL..

It's an unique itinerary: Williamsburgh/yorktown - Charleston - Bermuda - San Juan -Dom. Rep.- Grand Turk back to Miami..

We're all experienced Sailboaters, & did the same trip years ago in our own boats..We know that going up the Atlantic coast that time of year & then over to Bermuda with lots of sea days in between, it's going to be cold :eek: & perhaps rainy from April 12 to about the 20th.. Since we all enjoy spending our days out on deck, we'll need to dress accordingly..

Therefore, planning on layers for 1/2 the trip, which will include a couple of Turtlenecks, Sweatshirts, Sweaters, slacks/jeans, a fleece jacket, a rain jacket, socks, as well as (don't laugh) a hat, gloves, scarf, & my long silk underware.. Will pack the same for DH..No,he doesn't have or need long underware..:D

Now around April 21, as were passing off the Fla. coast & heading south, it should be warmer to hot, so will need shorts, lightweight tops, sandals, etc..:eek:

My Friend & I have some nice semi-dressy things which we enjoy wearing on HAL (not our formal clothes) on smart casual nights..We plan to bring them for our evenings on board..Both our DH's plan to bring jackets, as they like to dress when we dine in the specialty venues & are often cold in the MDR..

The only problem is I hate doing my own laundry on board a ship & prefer to send it out...However, the prices I've just downloaded seem a bit steep..We're so used to stuffing a bag of laundry for $30 on HAL & sending it out..We usually send it out once a week & everything comes back beautifully laundered & pressed..It looks like I'll have to plan on doing some laundry on board..:(

Also, guess I'll have to pack 3 suitcases as well as our carry-on's..:( To quote "Mura" , my problem is also the shoes..

Cheers...:)Betty

Archived