Just got my first call from the Upgrade Fairy..

traysd123

This is my 5th cruise and the first time they actually called me..

I am in a 8A balcony on the Empress deck-Carnival Spirit-9 day cruise.

They offered me a Suite on the same deck plus VIP boarding for an extra $700. While, as a single mom (and yes, they did play that card) I would LOVE that suite.. that is just way too much money, so i sadly had to decline..

DANG IT!! What do you guys think of that upgrade offer?

They offered me a Suite on the same deck plus VIP boarding for an extra $700. While, as a single mom (and yes, they did play that card) I would LOVE that suite.. that is just way too much money, so i sadly had to decline..

DANG IT!! What do you guys think of that upgrade offer?[/quote

so so. I would have passed as well. The OS on the the Spirit is nice but IMO not an extra $700 nice.

DANG IT!! What do you guys think of that upgrade offer?

The VIP comes with all suites (and all of us platinum get it anyway) .. nothing extra was offered. sounds like a hard sell if they implied differently.

Traveling are myself, and my 2 children ages 4 and 5. They offered us the suite plus the VIP and made sure to tell me that the vip boarding was NOT for the other people we booked the cruise with, just us.. but those OTHER people are my parents, so that wasn't the best way to sell me on the idea of VIP..lol, they had originally offered travel insurance with the deal, of which i already purchased, so the original offer was $780, down to $700 w/out the insurance. He kept saying "it has a bathtub for the kids" and "double sinks", and really played up the kid thing.. when in reality, I am already in a nice balcony room and can use that $700 to have fun! Wouldn't it be nice if they called and said "Hello Maam, we see you are traveling with 2 small children, and we'd love to upgrade you to a suite just because we love you".. a girl can dream right?

On my second cruise we booked an inside room and when the doors open and we were able to go to our rooms our room key didnt work. Well here comes another couple saying its their room and their key worked. So we went to the desk and they said we got upgraded to an oceanview...which was obstructed but you could still see alot! Thought it was kind of odd that they didnt tell us tho. But it was free so no complaints lol

When the Upgrade Fairy calls does your caller ID say "Carnival Cruise Line" or something like "out of area" or "caller unknown"? Just wondering if they've ever called me and I never answered. :rolleyes:

I got a call from a 305 area code and knowing that Carnival is based out of Miami, I knew it was them and had to answer.

Thanks everyone for your replies.. I felt a little bad, a suite would have been nice.. but this is our first balcony and I am happy with that!

Firefly: They knew I wasn't platinum, so they used that to entice me..they do their research :)

Julie: When they called, it was a 305 area code, and i work in real estate so i had no idea, as it could have been a client. I thought it was funny, at first he asked for Tracy or Jason, i laughed and said "this is Tracy, and Jason is 5 if you want to talk to him" he laughed and said he had a 5 yr old too and no thank you..lol

Andrew: It doesn't surprise me that they offer it at different rates to different people, they definitely check you out before they call you, they knew who i was booked with (family and friends and their room numbers), they find out all about you to give you reasons to upgrade :)

TennGirl: That would have been a great surprise!

I did take advantage of his call to ask a few questions about the layout of my room i booked, he was a really nice guy..

Seguincruiser: They will be spoiled, they always are, i am a sucker for those smiles!

Upgrade fairys don't charge any extra money. It is a surprise free gift.

The suites are not that great anyway. I had one for my birthday. They look great in the photos but the reality is "DUH". The beds were hard so I had to sleep on the sofa. They are not worth the extra money. VIP is no big deal either. I am a VIP. The free wash is only the clothes you can fit in a paper bag. You get your wash back in a similar paper bag with your wrinkled washed clothes. You get some lousy snacks that they call petie fours sp. the oderves sp are so lousy you can't even eat them.

They give you a free photo frame. "WHOOPY" '"DUH". Early embarkation is no big deal. Early disembarkation is best to carry your own luggage so you don't have to wait until 8:30 OR 8:45 a.m. to get your luggage from their platfom storage room.

I will be cruising soon on the Carnival Spirit. I plan to pack lite so I can leave with my luggage in hand with the other early birds.

I do like the Carnival Spirit. Have a lot of fun. Take soap to wash your kid's clothes. I noticed you are on a nine day cruise. Have lots of fun with your two kids. There is a safety lock on the top of the balcony door. Don't let your kids get on top of the balcony chairs to get near the rail.

All three of you can fit on the twin beds attached together to make a king size bed. I would do that for fun for the kids.

I think the Upgrade Fairy and Upsell Fairy are 2 different things - I think you got the Upsell Fairy which do exactly as implied, try to sell you a different cabin.

I actually got a call from the Upgrade Fairy today, that upgraded 2 out of 3 of our cabins from deck 1 and 2 to deck 6 (where our 8B cabin is) at no charge, plus a $70 OBC for the 2 upgrades and $40 for us. I think that was an early saver price protection thing, but still! I'm not complaining! :)

Carnival did blow up my phone for about 5 hours yesterday though, and it wasn't my PVP as I have her direct line saved in my phone. I'm thinking it was the UpSell Fairy, but they never bothered to leave a message.

julie, i had a call from carnival but never answered the phone it was a odd phone number, but when we were checking in we were told we had been upgraded from a ocean view to a balcony and 3 levels up, it was obstructed but i didn't mind that, it was free. It wasn't until I returned home from the cruise and checking my phone messages that I realized that carnival had indeed left a message telling me of the upgrade.so if it's a free upgrade i guess it doesn't matter if you answer the phone or not.

Do people get offered an upgrade from an inside cabin to a balcony ever? Can you get an upgrade call even if you booked with an online travel company?

Well, first, recognize the difference between and "upgrade" and an "upsell".

Upgrade doesn't cost you a dime...and they can upgrade you to any cabin. Upsell means you are buying the room...and that can be almost any kind of accommodation. I suppose the suites are the last to sell and they get offered for upSELL a lot.

I wouldn't pay it. I always book the cabin I want to be in and am perfectly happy with a standard balcony room....

On the other hand, if they upGRADED me to a suite or Premium balcony..at no cost to myself, I'd take it...

Ah, well as I said, this was the first time i received a call from them, so i apologize, it definitely was the UPSELL fairy.. I wish it had been the UPGRADE fairy :)

Lucy: Thanks for the tip on the balcony lock..i do admit that freaks me out to think about! And we just may all sleep in the big bed, my kids would LOVE that, a big slumber party every night!

Firemonkey: That is awesome!! I am amazed that they would call you for 5 hrs on one day, and then call you the next day again, just to give you a FREE upgrade.. THAT is customer service!

Eboni: That is definitely the way to start a vacation.. I bet you were doing some kinda dance about that upgrade!

G'ma: I am definitely happy with the room I picked..but like you said, if they wanted to GIVE me a suite, they wouldn't have to twist my arm :)

Afcj1 and Glendale: $700 is alotta moolah for 2 sinks and a tub, and it will definitely be better used having fun!!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and the tips.. I LOVE this site!!

We have been upgraded twice. The first time was from OV guarantee to a balcony. We found out about this at the pier. The second time it was from a porthole cabin to an OV. We found out about this the day before from a phone call from Carnival. There was no charge either time. You just never know!

Archived