Booking a Cruise in September....With Kids/Teens

CruiseAdict218

Would you take your child(ren)/teen(s) out of school for a cruise, even though it just started? Please share opinions :D

Possible Cruises: On-board the Sapphire Princess

Seattle to Vancouver - 1 Day Cruise

California Coastal: Vancouver to Los Angeles - 5 Day Cruise

Altogether Missing 5 Days

The bigger problem is that this cruise is illegal. You are boarding in Seattle and getting off in LA. Passenger Vessel Services Act prohibits Princess from carrying passengers from one US port to another unless thy go to a distant foriegn port. This cruise will not meet that requirement.

The bigger problem is that this cruise is illegal. You are boarding in Seattle and getting off in LA. Passenger Vessel Services Act prohibits Princess from carrying passengers from one US port to another unless thy go to a distant foriegn port. This cruise will not meet that requirement.

Never thought about it thought b/c it was two separate cruises it would be fine

No, I would not take children of school age (or grandchildren) out of school to cruise. I know some people do, but the kids don't want to miss school either. They have lots of homework every night as they are in the GATE program.

Oh okay b/c this cruise is illegal I probably wont sail in september but thanks anyway and what is the GATE program?

We traveled a lot with our two sons during the school year until they were in middle school. Once they reached that point, our school-year-cruising came to a very quick stop. One our very favorite cruises was in September, so I understand you wanting to go then.

When the kids entered high school, missing just one day of school was really hard on them. As much as they enjoyed cruising, they would beg us not to go during the school year. They were high-achievers in AP classes and just one missed day would put a lot of extra pressure on them to catch up.

We put up with school break cruising for years. They did well enough in HS to get into a good college and now that we're finally free to cruise during the school year we can't because of the cost of their college education! :(

Now that I've said that...I'm wondering if maybe it's better to encourage them to miss school and not get into a good college? lol

Oh okay b/c this cruise is illegal I probably wont sail in september but thanks anyway and what is the GATE program?

Sorry, just saw this after my last post. GATE is Gifted and Talented Education and both of our sons were in it from the very first testing at school and still, we took them out of elementary school with no ill affects. In fact, I had teachers that encouraged us to take them on trips. They learned SO much from the traveling we did and at that age, never fell behind in their studies.

Some school districts have really gotten tough on missing school unless a kid is sick. I know in California, the state pays each school district a certain amount based on attendance: student per day. So each day a kid is out means less $ for each school.

We did take our daughter out for a week for a cruise when she was in kindergarten. Asked her teacher for her homework packet -- yes, homework in kindergarten. Some other parent did it for a trip to NYC so I had some leverage there. But I wouldn't take her out now that she's in eighth grade and has Algebra and honors Science and English. Fortunately our Hawaiian cruise fit in perfectly with the three week winter break.

And I was thinking the same about those two cruises and the PVSA. It may even be illegal on two different Princess ships, but it definitely is on the same ship.

Taking your child out of school once they are past 3rd grade makes it very hard for them to catch up. Plus when they get back, they are tired from the trip and have to make up work and try to get back in the swing. It also sends the message loud and clear to them and the teachers that you do not value their education.

And I was thinking the same about those two cruises and the PVSA. It may even be illegal on two different Princess ships' date=' but it definitely is on the same ship.[/quote']

You can take two different Princess ships and its legal. We had both booked with Princess before but had to cancel it on just the reverse itineary.

Some school districts have really gotten tough on missing school unless a kid is sick. I know in California' date=' the state pays each school district a certain amount based on attendance: student per day. So each day a kid is out means less $ for each school. [/i']

We did take our daughter out for a week for a cruise when she was in kindergarten. Asked her teacher for her homework packet -- yes, homework in kindergarten. Some other parent did it for a trip to NYC so I had some leverage there. But I wouldn't take her out now that she's in eighth grade and has Algebra and honors Science and English. Fortunately our Hawaiian cruise fit in perfectly with the three week winter break.

And I was thinking the same about those two cruises and the PVSA. It may even be illegal on two different Princess ships, but it definitely is on the same ship.

If you go on a trip and have notified the school in advance, they still get the state money. It is an excused absence. ALL EXCUSED absences still earn money from the State. (I used to work in the Attendance Office and as a secretary for the VP of Attendance.) Otherwise, every time a kid is sick, the school would suffer financially.

Our kids were allowed to travel and had the homework packets up until 5th grade. After that, the attendance policy changes for middle & HS students and is very, very strict.

It also sends the message loud and clear to them and the teachers that you do not value their education.

Just my 2 cents - I disagree with this statement - I believe taking kids out of school for family time teaches them about choices and the cost of doing things; and that parents cannot all take vacation only during children's school breaks - businesses don't run on school schedules.

I believe it teaches the kids about compromise and about doing what you * have * to do in order to do what you * want * to do.

It also teaches them about budgeting and financial management because (once they are older) you can show them pricing and show them how you can choose between a more expensive cruise during peak times vs. a less expensive cruise during non peak times, and discuss the pros/cons and what is required in order to make the choice happen, in terms of extra work and / or extra money, or other factors.

We have two kids, currently 8 and 10, and we've travelled both during school and during school breaks. They have learned that the cost of a vacation during school, (just like time off work), is doing the work before and after, and sometimes during. They understand that there are many many factors involved in deciding vacations, and while they don't know all the details, they know the decision involves the entire family's situation, not just any one individual's.

---------------------

So to the OP - each family's situation is different, and I think you need to make your decision based on what is most appropriate for your family, not what others think.

I think taking kids out of school also depends on how kids do in school. If they struggle, then heavens no don't take them out. However, if they find school easy or excel, by all means. My husband is a teacher and kids are often taken out of school for vacations. He doesnt think it hurts them except for the struggling kids.

I think taking kids out of school also depends on how kids do in school. If they struggle, then heavens no don't take them out. However, if they find school easy or excel, by all means. My husband is a teacher and kids are often taken out of school for vacations. He doesnt think it hurts them except for the struggling kids.

I agree

Very well said. It really does depend on the student.

If you go on a trip and have notified the school in advance, they still get the state money. It is an excused absence. ALL EXCUSED absences still earn money from the State. (I used to work in the Attendance Office and as a secretary for the VP of Attendance.) Otherwise, every time a kid is sick, the school would suffer financially.

Our kids were allowed to travel and had the homework packets up until 5th grade. After that, the attendance policy changes for middle & HS students and is very, very strict.

Maybe. But schools sure act like these are "unexcused absences." With her current school, if a child misses more than four days, they must bring in a note from a doctor.

And I found out that the closest high school, which is a charter one so they can set their own rules, has a rule that if a student misses so many days (I think it was 14 days per semester) for whatever reason, they are drop fail from all of their classes and have to petition to get back in their classes. I was aghast when I heard this. Keeping my fingers crossed that she gets into the magnet school she's applied for.

I think you opened a can of worms by asking the question about the kids out of school but we did do this once but they were both in elementary school. Once they reached junior high aka middle school it was way to difficult for them to take off that much time so we paid the higher prices for when they were out of school.

Maybe. But schools sure act like these are "unexcused absences." With her current school' date=' if a child misses more than four days, they must bring in a note from a doctor.

And I found out that the closest high school, which is a charter one so they can set their own rules, has a rule that if a student misses so many days (I think it was 14 days per semester) for whatever reason, they are drop fail from all of their classes and have to petition to get back in their classes. I was aghast when I heard this. Keeping my fingers crossed that she gets into the magnet school she's applied for.[/quote']

It depends on how the school district enters the absence. If it's excused, the state pays the school district the daily money for that child. If it's not, then no money.

Also, it's up to the school district (not the state) to decide about the maximum allowable absences. 14 absences is pretty lenient. In our district, it's 10 total absences, excused or unexcused, for our middle and high school students only. This is why we only traveled during the school year when our kids were in elementary school.

After those 10 absences, your student's grade drops one letter grade for each day missed after that. So, if your kids have all A's and miss 13 days, they will have all F's. We don't have D letter grades in our district. The OP should check out their school district for their specific rules and decide whether it's worth it or not based on that and their kids' performance in school. ;)

Archived