Halong Bay - One Night or Two??

freddie

We will be spending time in Hanoi and Halong Bay as part of our trip to Vietnam and Cambodia in November and are trying to sort out the Halong Bay segment. The key question is whether we should do a 2-day/1-night or 3-day/2-night junk experience. The information on the various websites suggest that on the 2-night trip, the second day is spent on a "day boat" rather than on the luxury junk. That raises a couple of questions: First, is that "day boat" shared by many junks or just used by the small junk we plan to use? Second, wouldn't it be more pleasant to stay on the luxury junk for the second day?

We are looking at several junks but think we'd like to go with one of the smaller, luxury junks such as Halong Violet, which has only 6 cabins, all of which are quite large. Another option, at the suggestion of the always knowledgeable Greatam, would be to go on the Halong Princess, which has only one cabin!!

We've long waited for the opportunity to visit Halong Bay (since the first time I saw the movie, "Indochine") and would like to enjoy it at some leisure. Thus, the notion of doing the 2-night trip. However, we would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from previous visitors to Halong Bay regarding the options.

Cheers, Fred

Hi Fred,

We were in Vietnam in November on a land trip and did an overnight on the Red Dragon (Indochina Junk ). I had picked them based on recommendations on Tripadvisor, and we were very pleased with the whole experience.

Indochina Junk has several junks and they go to an area of Halong Bay that only they use (they have exclusive use of an island where there is a large cave, and a beach for swimming and kayaking.) Our junk had 5 cabins, for 11 people, but only 8 people on board for our trip (3 other couples - whose company we really enjoyed!) At night, you are anchored in a bay with a few of their other junks, so it's quiet and secluded.

We too debated doing 1 or 2 nights, but since I had so many other places that I wanted to fit in during our 3 weeks in VN and Cambodia, we settled for 1 night in HB. Afterwards, we agreed that it was a good length, and that another day might have been too much of the same. However, two advantages for going for 2 nights is 1) it's a 3.5 hour drive each way between Hanoi & Halong Bay, which makes for a lot of driving in 2 days (you leave around 8 the first morning, are on board for lunch by ~ 1 p.m. and disembark the following day by noon...then back in Hanoi around 4 - 4:30 p.m. and 2) you'll have extra time to relax with an extra day, if that's important to you.

Indochina Junks offers both 1 and 2 night itineraries on different boats (of different sizes), so no need to change boats after day1 if you've booked the 2 night trip. I booked our trip through a travel agent who helped me with some other bookings in VN, but you can also book directly, or through your hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

We are heading to Halong Bay in Feb this year. One of the recommendations for a luxurious experience at Halong Bay from the Fodors forum and our agent was Halong Violet Junk like you Freddie.

Iwill let you when I get back if the experience matched up to the reviews. We have booked a suite on Halong Violet.Due to our time in Hanoi we only booked 1 night.

Here is an interesting review of the experience on Halong Violet

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/flotillas-in-the-mist-20100311-q1eo.html

Miriam

We had a full day onboard, and 4pm it got very foggy which is normal. So we were very happy to get back to our ship.

I wouldnt stay there not 1 night, borring and cold, nothing do to at all. Its dark outside and nothing to see.:confused:

• 1 month later...

Hi Fred,

I promised you a reply of our trip after returning. We haven't finished our Asia trip but have finished the Vietnam portion.

Halong Bay was amazing even though it was foggy. The itinerary you get from your agent is actually different from the one provided. A highlight of the trip was the Cave Dinner- they recently found a cave and have dinner in it for their guests of all of their boats. However it is there we noticed that the other boats were paying less for items such as soda and wine (a few dollars less). However, that part was amazing and the food was great.

Our whole trip on the Halong Violet had amazing food- we wanted to steal the chef. Where they are a real disappointment was on the luxury and basic hygiene end. They would take a dirty towel off the ground and then refold it and put it back on the clean towels. Considering it was a new boat there was lots of rusting and overall did not appear to well maintained.

We had an additional problem in that our third bed- was made for a 70 pound asian person and not a North American (the bed broke two times). They ended up resolving this by providing a hard mattress on the floor. Our agent considering the event was able to get us a refund of $75 dollars but we were upset that they didn't let us know in advance they could not really accommodate a third person- we would have purchased another cabin.

If you are staying in Hanoi before or after I recommend staying the Sofitel Metropole- that was amazing hotel and really showed how luxury should be with all their touches.

Susan M's point about the long drive from Hanoi figures for her land-trip, but you'll be berthed/moored in Halong Bay, not far from the junks.

Our time in port precluded an overnite - overnite junks are hired 12 noon thru 11am - and we're glad it did.

We hired a day junk for 6 hours for $80 split between 8 of us (ample room for 20+), brilliant experience. Others did the same for 4 hours for $60 the boat. Pay on return to the pier. This was all on-spec, not pre-booked, set up when we arived the previous pm.

2-hour cruises are a waste of time - you have to cross the open water of Halong Bay to reach the karsts, 2 hours will only get you to the karsts & not amongst them. 8 hour day cruises are possible, and they cover pretty-well the same itinerary as overnite boats.

The place is usually misty - but that only adds to the quiet & eerie experience.

If you're keen to over-nite, at least limit yourself to a single night. One such evening could be a peaceful & relaxing experience, a second just might be boring, and the lack of home-comforts become more apparent.

John Bull

• 3 weeks later...

I am from Vietnam. I recommend to stay one night on boat only. There are a couple of junks to name: Emeraude, Indochina Sails, Jasmine....

One night on junk to experience the bay night is enough because you have been on cruise for some days.

A day boat is operated by a smaller boat where there are no cabin for sleeping, only a dock to behold the scene.

If sleepin on boat, please remember to take the kayaking trip to the rocks on the bays and a swim somewhere turquoise and transparent.

regards

.Huyen

We are world travelers, with travel being one of our passions. Of all the places in the world we have been Halong Bay rates as one of the top five. It was not only the scenery (which was spectacular) but the total experience. We spent 3 days, two nights on the Ginger Junk. Their attention to detail was phenomenal. But this is not at the same level as lets say a 6 star cruise, but just as enjoyable. Most of the ships travel to the same spots but take different routes in the process. So picking the right ship is important. As most leave in the early afternoon, they all so some sightseeing before stopping at one island for a possible swim and hike up to the top to see the overlook of the area. Then with ours it was off to a fish farm and indigenous native tribe, before going to a secluded tour of a cave which opened up to a private enclosed lake. Then almost all pars took in some swimming, and kayaking. The next morning again we set sail for another island where the cave was immense, and took a walking tour through it to see the stalagmites etc. Then a more relaxing sail through the islands before stopping again for a swim. But the best part was the quality of the Food, which was far higher than we expected. All meals were far above the norm, no matter what your preference was. The accomodation was just average, and you cannot compare the accomodation to that of a large cruise ship.

As you probably will not be in that area of the world again, I would not hestitate to spend the extra day sailing around the islands, for an experience you will not forget. We are still talking about it three years later.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments and suggestions. We'd decided to do the 3-day, 2-nite cruise on Halong Violet and then had to change to the 1-night cruise because the 2-nite cruise would have prevented us from taking the train to Sapa to spend a couple of nights. Rats!! Oh well, these travel things usually work out fine in the end. We would prefer to have the chance to visit Sapa (in the mountains north of Hanoi) as well as Halong Bay rather than spend an extra day in Halong and miss Sapa. By the way, xcrunch, the huge cabins on Halong Violet (the newest sister junk to Ginger) are certainly comparable to all but the largest suites on cruise ships, at 43 sq. meters (about 460 sq. ft.). We regret that we will not be able to spend a longer time in Halong Bay but are convinced that the total experience of our Vietnam tour will be quite excellent (followed by 5 nights in Siem Reap and a 7-day cruise on the Mekong River from Siem Reap to Saigon). Cheers, Fred

I took a look at the Violet, quite a beautiful ship with all of the luxury of the large cruise ships. A big difference to the Ginger, but three years ago it was the one of the best on Halong Bay.

Had to make the same decision that you did, and we decided to stay in Halong Bay rather than go to Sapa as it took another day to get there and another day to get back.

But saw the rest of Vietnam in detail and enjoyed it immensely.

Have decided ourselves to go back to Cambodia, Thailand, Myanamar, Malyasia, and Indonesia in May. Can not wait!! Have a great vacation!!

• 1 year later...

Are you planning go to Halong Bay next time?

Halong is famous for beautiful scenery or natural heritage in the world

Are you busy on work or fixed time? The good choice for business man is 01 night on Cruise

But you have you more free time. I think you should arrange time overnight 02 nights on Cruise which help visitor have more exciting experience.

For 01 example, Dragon Pearl Junk 3days have Dinner on Cave on 2nd Day which is one of distinctive feature or high light Tour that receive lot of good feedback and high appreciation feeling.

Come and join favorite activities as kayaking, go fishing, snorkeling or taking Photo on top of sundeck at night or sunset. Have nice trip!!

• 4 weeks later...

In 2010...

Sapa: We spent 2 nights in Sapa (having taken the overnight train to/from Hanoi) which was an experience in itself. We were there about mid-Nov so it was COLD -- really appreciated the fireplace in our hotel lobby. Got hooked on soup noodles for breakfast from our first morning at the hotel in Hanoi. Unfortunately, the rice fields had all been plowed over already but it was still interesting.

Halong Bay: We thought our 1 night on the junk (can't remember the name, but it was immaculate and delightful) was most enjoyable and sufficient. The chef did a spring roll demo on the deck which was wonderful (I volunteered to help). Very relaxing going thru the kracks or whatever they're called, seeing how the boat people live. We stopped at one place to climb steep steps up to a cave (I elected not to go as I'm afraid of heights, but hubby went). It wasn't foggy but rather misty at time but not enough that we couldn't see the gorgeous scenery. Probably depends on time of year.

Enjoy!

Archived