Europe river cruise need ideas/suggestions

cruise8x+

We are thinking about trying a European river cruise, can anyone suggest a good port to start/end in?I would love to go to Prauge included in this trip. Any suggestions as to the cruiseline to go with. Has anyone recieved the companian goes free deal? How are the excursions that are part of the package? We would like to know which city is good to fly in/out of as well, we are from Chicago and would love to do a 10-14 night sometime this spring or fall. Thanks in advance for your help.

We are looking also for 2012 but have narrowed it down to Scenic Tours & AMA

Scenic is more inclusive & have balcony cabins

AMA has 2 new ships with twin balcony ...part outside & part French balcony

We are looking Amsterdam to Budapest but they do have other cruise options

There are some spaces left on Scenic with some fly free or other discounts

Prices seem comparable in all the cruise lines so it is a matter of personal preferences

I am sure you will get lots of opinions here

Good luck in your research ;)

We did Budapest to Prague with AMA - and were very pleased. Two days in Budapest (not nearly enough time...) - a 7 night cruise - and then overland to Prague.

If you repost on the River and Canal line you might get more info.

You can also visit http://www.thepreismans.com as this is an indepth review of this itinerary. We enjoyed their review so much that we booked the same cruise!!

We did 7 night France Burgundy to Provence with Uniworld..LOVED IT! Classy high end ship. I thought I would go crazy without a balcony but it was a lovely (lowest cost) cabin. Large by cruise ship standards, fine linens and larger than typical bathroom. Wine included with dinner a very nice touch - food was very good. Would highly recommend this line and the river cruise experience. :)

• 4 weeks later...

We have recently booked a 7 night cruise on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland. I have seen some of this area before on car trips and found it beautiful. We'll see Strasbourg, a storybook town, and the stretch of the Rhine that has 40 castles in 40 miles. We booked the SS Antoinette on Uniworld. It's new (launching in March) and has balcony cabins. Excursions and wine with meals are included, a nice touch.

We have cruised about twenty times on ocean cruises and chartered yachts. This will be our first river cruise. I hear river cruising is the best.

YOu could have your vacation with Europe Cruise and Shore-Excursions... In our case, We have our http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/Athens-Shore-Excursions-s/102.htm in Greece.. and me and my wife was pleased by the majestic forum at Corinth.. I can't believe this has been part of a tv show.. it's really huge to look or finished the challenge...

I've cruised with Uniworld from Paris to the beaches of Normandy and back to Paris. It was a GREAT trip. I loved Uniworld and the excursions included were great. In July I'm cruising with AMA. I think AMA and Uniworld are comparable. For my first cruise I thought going in and out of Paris would be a good option. I never had a desire to see Paris but we LOVED Paris. I wish we had flown in 1 day earlier and stayed at a hotel before the cruise.

River cruising is the greatest!!! I don't think you can go wrong with one.

• 3 weeks later...

We too are looking at a River Cruise...Our TA suggested Uniworld and Viking. After reading some members comments about Viking and Uniworld it seems Uniworld gets the better review.

This will be our first river cruise (though we have been on 14 ocean cruises...mostly Celebrity) and it will be our 50th so we want it to be special.

• 4 weeks later...
We have recently booked a 7 night cruise on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland. I have seen some of this area before on car trips and found it beautiful. We'll see Strasbourg, a storybook town, and the stretch of the Rhine that has 40 castles in 40 miles. We booked the SS Antoinette on Uniworld. It's new (launching in March) and has balcony cabins. Excursions and wine with meals are included, a nice touch.

We have cruised about twenty times on ocean cruises and chartered yachts. This will be our first river cruise. I hear river cruising is the best.

We plan to be on the SS Antoinette on May 22. This will be out third cruise on Uniworld. Each has been a delightful experience.

The Danube- Linz to the Black Sea - Brilliant itinarary Fly into Vienna return from Bucharest.

The Volga- St Petersburg to Moscow or reverse. The best river cruise we did.

The vessel was an old Russian river cruiser the crew were from the military the Cruise Director was ex KGB or so it seemed.Our cruise companions made the cruise .We had a ball breaking all of the "official " rules, there will never be another cruise like it, that is another story.

The Danube - Budapest to Linz flying back from Munich, we sailed this last year.Belgrade-Novi Sad-Bratislava- Melk- Mohacs very relaxing.

Not all river cruises are extensions of the sea cruise vessels ,some are less endowed with amenities but as you are asshore every day and viewing the scenary as you sail by they are not missed.

Vikling and Uniworls are well known in the USA however there are several smaller compnaies just as good cruising around Europe.In the UK we have Travelshphere who run rivrer cruises utilising Dutch vessels or Croisi Europe ships , ther web page is worth a visit.

One day there will be river cruising in the USA ,why not.

Archived