HAL - never again.

VIKINGO

After abt. 60 cruises with different companies, the most with RCCL (41), I

did "Amsterdam" Singapore - Sydney - San Diego.

1: HAL can take a deposit of 60 USD per day, for me 1.800 USD. They

took 4.200 US. I got the money back after abt. 8 days. No explanation,

no excuse received

2: Medical bills for another passenger, (cabin 7040), on my bill (cabin

1949). Explanation: "Same name". My name J.A. Knutsen, the other

passenger: L.S. Knutsson. No excuse received.

3: For 35 days I had to sleep with ear-plugs because of noice from engine

and screws. 2 nights in cabin on other deck. After 1 week HAL pro-

mised me another cabin - nothing happend.

I asked to move to other deck and pay the extra cost. Answer: "Yes"

Nothing happend

After complaining to the captain during a meeting I received a letter

from Seattle (head office) the day before arriving San Diego with an excuse. Not good enough. (But no emailadr. etc so that I could send a reply)

How did you book your cruise: personal travel agent, direct with HAL, online with another agency, other?

Reason I ask is because I always wonder I wonder if some of those "discount" places end up selling some of the "bad" cabins, that can happen on any ship.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Seems appropriate to leave unhappy with HAL. They did not win you over and that is their loss.

Were you in a cabin which you chose, or one which was assigned to you on a guarantee? Surely after 60 cruises you must know that cabins in some areas, such as down low and far aft, are prone to engine and prop noise, and steps can be taken by you to avoid such areas when booking.

"Upon embarkation, we will seek an initial authorization on your card(s) for USD $60 per person for each day of your cruise. For cruises longer than 25 days, the hold is USD$30.00 per person, per day. (Please note, this authorization will not be placed against your credit or debit card(s) until the day of sailing.) At the end of your cruise, you will receive a final statement, and your card(s) will be charged only for the actual amount of your purchases. Refunds for purchases of onboard products and services will be credited to your onboard account whether purchased prior to or during your cruise."

I will be going on my first cruise with HAL, so its not like I'm a HAL expert, but this information in clearly stated in the online check in. Ignorance of policies is not HAL's fault. And anyway, its just a hold, and up to you if you acually spend that much or not. HAL has likely been fleeced many times by people not paying for what they charge to their room. Who can blame them?

As for the mistaken medical bill, obviously the problem was found and resolved. It's a mistake, what explanation would have satisfied you? Mistakes happen.

I'm sorry the noise bothered you, having had a room directly above the engine on a cruise, I know what you are talking about. However, I brought earplugs in case any noise kept me from sleeping. In my case, it did not. It acually made it interesting hearing the noise a ship makes and it kept me from sleeping in late when we pulled into ports early in the morning and they applied 'full reverse thrusters'. I wanted to be awake anyway and not miss a minute of my cruise. Sorry they could not move you. You don't say what explanation 'headquarters' gave, only that it wasn't good enough. Maybe you were too mad by this time to accept any apology or explanation?

We had a bad experience with our Vancouver pre-cruise package cruise several years ago.I wrote a letter to HAL detailing all problems-- within a week we received a lovely letter in return that would give us some perks on the next cruise. What we were given was adequate for our inconveniences.

If you ask nicely ( and complain nicely) I find that all companies are more than happy to help you out. And if you find a company that NEVER makes a mistake-- let me know -- I would like to buy massive amounts of their stock.

Sadly, the ones who swear that they will NEVER, NEVER, EVER - under any circumstances - EVER come back to a particular cruise line, ALWAYS, ALWAYS come back. And then they complain endlessly about the same things every single time.

If they are so untruthful about returning, I can only wonder how truthful they are about the original problems.......................

$60 x 35 days = $2100. For 2 passengers that would be $4200. Were there two of you? The amount of the hold is usually shown when you checkin online and register your credit card. I never notice our hold. It is always off the card by the time we return home. OP's incorrect hold, if it was incorrect, was corrected within a few days.

Items on the wrong account happen anywhere. We've had this happen a couple of times on HAL and it has always been easily and pleasantly resolved.

As to mixing up J.A. Knutson and L. S. Knuttsen, that's easy. I do lots of genealogy which means reading lots of transcribed names and transcribing others myself. It is sometimes very difficult to read a cursive or even hand printed name accurately.

This problem was resolved and OP didn't have to pay the medical bill, so I don't see the problem.

no excuse received

60 x 35 = 2100. It looks like they blocked your card for for two pax (and at the wrong daily rate). They should have blocked it for $1050 (30 x 35). You say you "got the money back", but with a card block there is no charge against the card. How did you know how much they blocked the card for?

Is not the explanation the excuse? That shouldn't have happened, but it does seem like a 'logical' mistake.

Nothing happend

from Seattle (head office) the day before arriving San Diego with an excuse. Not good enough. (But no emailadr. etc so that I could send a reply)

In 2004/05 I spent 21 days on the Amsterdam in room 1952 and never heard anything from the engines and screws (except when docking); however, things can change. You say you spent 2 nights in another room on another deck. Why couldn't you stay in that room? What was the excuse from Seattle that wasn't "good enough"?

After reading your post, I agree with your thread title: "HAL - Never Again" is a promise you should keep to yourself. There are many other cruise lines to choose from. I hope you discover one that you find satisfying.

As with all travel, each travel experience is unique containing good and not so good elements. I would never base my future plans on just one experience. The exception is long distance plane travel, I know I am going to hate it and I am rarely surprised to find otherwise. Unfortunately being an Aussie everywhere is a long way from here.

Any day at sea is a good day for me. I think the real issue here is not the problems that the passenger experienced, they would be annoying but that the complaints system let him down in the way these issues were resolved.

Pre authorisation of your cc is clearly stated in the policy and in any case you only get charged for what you use.

Incorrect charge on your account..fair enough was a mistake you found it and it was corrected.

Noisy cabin...more serious..if they promised you another cabin and that did not happen then of course you have every right to complain and be annoyed. I am confused did they move you once?

There are cabins that are less comfortable than others I strongly urge people to post cabin numbers and thoughts so that people have information they can base their choice of cabin on..me I travel with earplugs and herbal sleeping tablets...gets me through most noise issues.:)

If the OP is a fan of much larger RCCL ships, perhaps the normal ship noises of a smaller ship like the Amsterdam came as a surprise. Smaller ships are like train travel -- the clickety-clacks are part of the travel experience. Larger ships can envelope a passenger more in an unreal cocoon which lets you pretend you are in a land-based resort complex instead of a floating self-contained hollow metal box on the high seas.

no excuse received

It is a hold - not a deposit and nothing is charged to your account so there is not any money to return. And it is disclosed when you file the credit card with HAL

It's a simple mistake. You know how bad doctor's handwritings can be. ;)

Nothing happend

It's a ship... it makes noises and moves up and down in water... and after so many cruises surely you know where the noisy cabins could be. :rolleyes:

They sent you a letter, on HAL letterhead. It has an adress that you can respond too... and most likely a telephone number... and a name.

from Seattle (head office) the day before arriving San Diego with an excuse. Not good enough.

Why would you complain to the Captain?

He doesn't handle credit card charges - That's for the folks at the Front Desk and the Guest Relations Manager who is in charge of the Front Desk staff

He doesn't handle charges in the ship's Infirmary - That's the Ship's Doctor.

He didn't design the ship, he didn't assign you to that cabin and he didn't promise you a new cabin - he can't be blamed if the propulsion system is a bit noisy...

Your issues should have gone to the Hotel Manager - Not the Captain.

Why would you complain to the Captain?

He doesn't handle credit card charges - That's for the folks at the Front Desk and the Guest Relations Manager who is in charge of the Front Desk staff

He doesn't handle charges in the ship's Infirmary - That's the Ship's Doctor.

He didn't design the ship, he didn't assign you to that cabin and he didn't promise you a new cabin - he can't be blamed if the propulsion system is a bit noisy...

Your issues should have gone to the Hotel Manager - Not the Captain.

In the old days Captains were rarley seen on ships, they now are more visible. On the Zaandam I personally commented to the Captain about problems with the stabalizers. They are just another employee who happen to be in charge of the ship, these people have every right to bring it to the Captains attention if they wish to do so.

I was on the same cruise as the op altho we got on in Seattle. I thought it was wonderful, excellent food and service. We were on the same end of the ship, room 3418, but two decks above him. Ship engine or prop noise was never a problem. We definitely will sail with HAL again, preferably on the Amsterdam. Incidentally, I am wondering how he received a letter from HAL headquarters in Seattle a couple of days before we arrived in San Diego. I didn't notice any mail buoys between Honolulu and San Diego.

Incidentally, I am wondering how he received a letter from HAL headquarters in Seattle a couple of days before we arrived in San Diego. I didn't notice any mail buoys between Honolulu and San Diego.

Don't need 'em... HAL has electronics now. ;)

Personally, I have only had one really big issue once on a HAL cruise. I spoke to the Hotel Manager who had the problem investigated, rectified and gave us a very nice compensation. I didn't let it ruin my cruise and was very appreciative of her assistance.

I would always go to the Hotel Manager first.

and only 6 posts I wonder how he decided to condemn an entire cruise line due to his misunderstanding of the credit card hold and the need to contact the captain over billing issues and noise. I hope he will answer the questions about how the cabin was chosen and how he booked the cruise.

Archived