RCI not allowing passengers to bring wine onboard?

wwinfl91

Do you think RCI should allow passengers to bring their own wine with them?  

847 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RCI should allow passengers to bring their own wine with them?

• Yes Passengers should be allowed to bring their own wine with them
    • NO RCI not allow passengers to bring wine onboard.90
    • To tell the truth I don't really care.

Beachchick,

That's interestign what you said about the winery on the big island... because I had some family and friends just go there and they said it was pretty much just the island wine (like Pineapple wine, etc...) and it wasn't very good. Plus, we have such limited time in port I want to spend it seeing things and not trying to find a wine store so I have enough wine for 4 days at sea... we are still trying to decide if we are renting cars the two days we aren't doing excursions. I guess I'd rather buy in HNL where I have been before, rather than spending time on Maui and the Big Island looking for wineries...

We are probably going to buy stuff in HNL, but I may have my family there check to see how much wine is because things get marked up a lot out there just because they are on the islands and all. We're still figuring out what to do...

WBC

I'm afraid I wasn't clear here. I wasn't referring to the wine made at the wineries on the Big Island or Maui. I was referring to the selection of wines from mainland US, Europe, and Australia that are available in the wine shops, liquor stores, and even groceries. The selection in the stores has really improved over the last decade.

We've been to the wineries on the island, but not for the wine per se. There are lots of pineapple and other fruit wines, as well as some grape wines, but none of them appeal to us. They are (at least for us) a novelty thing to taste just because it's fun to do.

beachchick

I'm afraid I wasn't clear here. I wasn't referring to the wine made at the wineries on the Big Island or Maui. I was referring to the selection of wines from mainland US, Europe, and Australia that are available in the wine shops, liquor stores, and even groceries. The selection in the stores has really improved over the last decade.

We've been to the wineries on the island, but not for the wine per se. There are lots of pineapple and other fruit wines, as well as some grape wines, but none of them appeal to us. They are (at least for us) a novelty thing to taste just because it's fun to do.

beachchick

I agree...

Just to reassure you, Safeway and Foodland in Lahaina both had full aisles of wine from all over the world. Just exactly what you'd expect to see in any large mainland store. Some pretty high end, lots of in-between, and the usual inexpensive ones. The island made wines are sold more for the tourists (apparently Maui Blanc is very popular for a take home goodie). Of course the island wines are available there, just as our stores here sell a huge variety of Central Coast wines. I would expect the local wines to be available, but they are only a tiny fraction of the overall selection.

Really, you do not need to worry about availability and selection in any major port. The Safeway in Honolulu had a very good selection last time we were on Oahu (about 2 years ago). You will have no problem finding wine in Honolulu. If you are renting a car, ask for directions to Safeway or one of the other large groceries, or to a large wine/liquor store. If you are taking a taxi, tell the driver what you want and ask him/her to either wait or drop you (taxis are no trouble to find). I don't know what's in the Ala Moana center by way of wine/liquor stores, but the center is huge and easy to get to. Perhaps Spleen or another Oahu local knows?

Prices can be somewhat higher than we are used to, but again we live in wine country and are used to great deals. For example, I picked up a couple of bottles of Central Coast wine that normally retails for about $18, which we can get on special for $10-$12. On Maui, they were shelf price $22, but on special for $15. Not a bad deal. (I've no idea how much our local wines sell for in, for example, Des Moines.) Just look for what's on special first. We've found excellent deals on proven wines that way.

Yes, all you need is the proper aloha spirit and you will be ohana in no time. The islands will always take care of family.:D

beachchick

Archived