RCI not allowing passengers to bring wine onboard?

wwinfl91

Do you think RCI should allow passengers to bring their own wine with them?  

847 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RCI should allow passengers to bring their own wine with them?

• Yes Passengers should be allowed to bring their own wine with them
    • NO RCI not allow passengers to bring wine onboard.90
    • To tell the truth I don't really care.

[quote name='worldsbestcandles']We have yet to hear of anybody (if anyone- too many pages to remeber back to) having alcohol taken from them at embarkation... I will keep watching this post to hear what happens as my cruise draws closer...

My friends and I were joking last night about a wine themed cruise... do they have those? Probably a 3 or 4 day leaving from CA with different vineyards represented on there? That would be great.... you could even have them scetioned into themes by red, white, the sideways cruise (no merlot served aboard...;) ), etc...

They have these international events at hotels for wine tastings, why not on a cruise... you could taste and then drink what you like and not have to drive anywhere... order wine onboard and have it shipped home direct... it would be great...:D any takers?[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are many of those offered all over the world. We did one last year for our anniversary and my birthday (4 days apart), that actually was a hotel barge that went up the Rhone River. They had wine paired with gourmet lunches and dinners, 3-4 different wines offered with each meal. It was all inclusive, even the wine tours of the area. Great time!!

Cheers!

[quote name='wwinfl91']Well we are finally back from our Transatlantic on the Jewel and our week in London. We boarded the Jewel in Ft Lauderdale on May 1 with 2 3 liter boxes of wine in one of our carry-on's and 2 bottles of wine in another carry-on. We had no problems getting any of it on the ship. We purchased some rum in Bermuda and brought it back on the ship and to our cabin in a backpack with no problems.

In Portugal and Spain we also purchased wine and brought the bottles back on the ship in our backpack.

Our room steward had brought us some wine glasses the second day on the cruise and we used them throughout the cruise to enjoy the wine we brought on board on our balcony or in the cabin.

We also tried several of the wines the ship sells in the dining room with dinner. We tried several of the Reislings and a couple of the white zinfandels they offered. One of the Reislings we enjoyed while the other was a little less sweet than we like.

All in all the "fears" that RCI was imposing rules on bringing wine abroad their ships seems to have been greatly exagerated. Now we did not openly bring any of the wine "openly" on the ship, which we have done before on both HAL and Princess. I did see people bring back on board wine and no one at the dock seemed to mind.

I was glad to see that this thread has survived my absence and is still active and that we are approaching 81% against the RCI stated policy.

Keep voting and keep talking about wine.

Have a great next cruise.[/QUOTE]

Wonderful to hear you had a great cruise! And thank you so much for the wine update. I am also very happy to hear you had no problems with the carry on wines. I am so much more comfortable with the hand carry on board of the wines, rather than having to worry about packing them in the checked luggage.
I am down to less than 2 weeks before I board the Mariner with my "precious cargo"!!

Cheers!

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=navy][b]I am interested in a wine package....is it "ok" to purchase the wine package and not share around the dinner table...is it not alittle awkward?...rude....or acceptable? And....do I understand the package correctly? I may not finish the bottle and either take the bottle back to the cabin.... or re-cork it for another meal...ie lunch or the next night's dinner...I am a solo wine drinker of the 2 of us...[/b][/color][/font]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#000080]Beth O[/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='tonyo'][font=Comic Sans MS][color=navy][b]I am interested in a wine package....is it "ok" to purchase the wine package and not share around the dinner table...is it not alittle awkward?...rude....or acceptable? And....do I understand the package correctly? I may not finish the bottle and either take the bottle back to the cabin.... or re-cork it for another meal...ie lunch or the next night's dinner...I am a solo wine drinker of the 2 of us...[/b][/color][/font]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#000080]Beth O[/color][/font][/b][/QUOTE]

If you are seated with family or friends, then you might want to share (personal choice). If you are seated with strangers (that is the 2 of you are cruising alone), then you are absolutely [B]not[/B] expected to share the bottle around the table. If anyone has a problem with this or assumes that it's community wine, that's their problem (not yours). Simply tell your waiter that you need only one glass for your wine and that you would like the unfinished bottle held for you for the next evening or that you will take it with you to your cabin. End of discussion. Nothing rude about that at all.

beachchick

[quote name='wwinfl91']Well we are finally back from our Transatlantic on the Jewel

What are your impressions of the Jewel, we booked for Mar '06, 8 day Caribbean! Love to hear about the ship!

[quote name='tonyo'][font=Comic Sans MS][color=navy][b]I am interested in a wine package....is it "ok" to purchase the wine package and not share around the dinner table...is it not alittle awkward?...rude....or acceptable? And....do I understand the package correctly? I may not finish the bottle and either take the bottle back to the cabin.... or re-cork it for another meal...ie lunch or the next night's dinner...I am a solo wine drinker of the 2 of us...[/b][/color][/font]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#000080]Beth O[/color][/font][/b][/QUOTE]

I may feel awkward, but it is completely acceptable if you elect not to share. Wine is not cheap, and that is money you have saved for, and reserved for yourself. It is part of your vacation allowance.

On the other hand, each situation is different. On many cruises, I have purchased (or brought in) bottles of wine and once getting familiar with whom at my table may be wine lovers, I will offer to share a taste. "A taste" consists of what you would expect at a wine tasting, which is generally a one ounce pour, (in most glasses about an inch). If they like it, then it is your option or not to pour them a full glass.
Now it will snowball (usually) in this situation, (and actually become quite fun), and your table mates will recipicate with either the next bottle for that night, or one for the following night. It will sometimes become a great experience to share in other's personal wine tastes.

I would be honored to share a table (and my wine) with you!

Cheers!

To piggyback on Island Lady's post, we had 2 bottles of wine "left over" that we brought on to last year's Voyager cruise. We had an aft Junior Suite. Our tablemates were so fantastic that on the last night, we invited them over for a "party" in our cabin to enjoy both bottles, right before dinner. We ordered fruit and cheese platters from room service (no charge, except tip). Funny- 8 platters for only 3 pax in the cabin- guess they thought we didn't eat all week!

We had a lovely time and our tablemates enjoyed the wine.

This year, we have an E2 with a small balcony (but on the hump)- no room for fancy entertaining. Kids are in an inside across the hall a few. Plus, we're taking DS who is 19 and he already stated he will help us with the fine wines- he's already acquired a teste for them. FYI- on RCCL, 18-21 y.o can purchase wine and beer (and drink it) as well as gamble. So- we're legal. Hey, it's International Waters and nothing he probably didn't already do in college. He's a good kid.

As for offering wine at the table, we lucked out on our last Princess cruise. Our tablemates didn't show until the 3rd night. We already had half a bottle of wine left over from the night before - not enough to go around.
One couple were schnorers (Yiddish word, loosely translated- freeloaders) and we weren't going to share our nice wine with them anyway. Turns out that every time they were at the table, we only had half a bottle left anyway.

Island Lady....yes I remember the bump! Ageless....

Enjoy your sailing on Mariner, wish I were back on already. As you can see, we fell in love with the ship and re-booked for next May!:)

[quote name='ricsue']Island Lady....yes I remember the bump! Ageless....

Enjoy your sailing on Mariner, wish I were back on already. As you can see, we fell in love with the ship and re-booked for next May!:)[/QUOTE]

Good for you!! :D

This will be my first time on the Mariner, and most likely will get hooked too!
"Reel me in"!!

Cheers!

Hey to the Champage posters....

Had a Celebration Luncheon Thursday last in honor of DD#1 graduation and degree. Ordered up the Vueve Cliquot (OMG spelling?) and really liked it alot.

Thanks to all who commented on it's enjoyment.

Not sure I liked it better than the Cremant, which is so like my fav Chard, but I did like it just as well for it's lighter than Cremant clean taste. :)

I love this thread!

[quote name='FinelyCruising']Hey to the Champage posters....

Had a Celebration Luncheon Thursday last in honor of DD#1 graduation and degree. Ordered up the Vueve Cliquot (OMG spelling?) and really liked it alot.

Thanks to all who commented on it's enjoyment.

Not sure I liked it better than the Cremant, which is so like my fav Chard, but I did like it just as well for it's lighter than Cremant clean taste. :)

I love this thread![/QUOTE]

You go girl!!! :D :D

Congrats on DD's graduation (you must be one proud Momma, and well deserving of such!). :)

I would say it is time for Momma to buy a bottle for herself this weekend, chill it down, and toast the fine job that you have done! You deserve it!

Me: I already have 2 bottles of champagne chilled and waiting to be smuggled aboard for my cruise this Sunday on the Mariner. Lots to celebrate next week myself!

Cheers!

FC, my french sucks, so I refer to the champagne that you just consumed, and it is a very good one, as the Widow Cliquot. Since it has the widow's picture on most of the bottles. The Yellow is a very nice vintage brut. It is expensive, but not too expensive, and it is a very good real champagne. The Cremant is not real champagne since it is not from either Reims or Epernay in France the only place on the planet that champagne is allowed to come from. I do hope you are aware that Champagne/Sparkling wine is an easy addiction to acquire, and it is more expensive than drinking Chardonnay. Just a friendly warning. The widow, also, makes a Demi Sec version that is in a silver champagne colored bottle. It is hard to find in my part of the country, but it is every bit the equal to the Cremant, if you are looking for something a little less dry ie slightly sweet, of course it costs about 50% more than the Cremant. I think I may have mentioned this in this thread, but it was a while ago. We met a charming English couple on our first RCI cruise in 1996, and have become good friends and travel buddies with them. Anyway, the second night before dinner was my DW and my anniversary. So, they invited us to the champagne bar, where 6 of us consumed 3 or 4 bottles of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, etc. They are champagne fanatics. So, about a year later they came to visit us for a couple of weeks, and we had the Widow (about 6 bottles between 8 of us), and then we drank champagne at a prodigious rate off and on over the next 2 weeks. So, for several years afterwards we and our regular local friends have sought the perfect champagne. IE once you start this addiction it feeds on itself. I honestly think that there is nothing I can consume with less of a hangover than champagne. I know many people say that champagne leads to a bad hangover, but not for me. We don't drink champagne as often these days, as I really love a good Zinfandel or a good Amarone, but I always have a case of Cremant and a few good bruts in my cellar.

jc

Professor jc--

Probably the only thing I know about the bubblies is that you can't call it Champagne unless it came from the right place.;)

I have a new reason to celebrate...we just bought a boat, and of couse she will be named and toasted to and christened (well sort of) ....so decisons...decisions...:D

Island lady--

You have yourself one fantastic good time on your cruise, and Cheers! yourself.

[quote name='FinelyCruising']Professor jc--

Probably the only thing I know about the bubblies is that you can't call it Champagne unless it came from the right place.;)

I have a new reason to celebrate...we just bought a boat, and of couse she will be named and toasted to and christened (well sort of) ....so decisons...decisions...:D

Island lady--

You have yourself one fantastic good time on your cruise, and Cheers! yourself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!! :D

I am so very much looking forward to it!!

Cheers!

Sorry it took me awhile to get back on your request for comments on the Jewel.

We did a 14 day transatlantic on the Jewel that left May 1 from Ft Lauderdale and ended on May 15 in Harwich England. We stopped in Bermuda for an overnight stay, did 5 days across the Atlantic to Lisbon, then stopped in Vigo, Spain, Le Havre, France and Zeebrugge Belgium.

The ship is beautiful and we enjoyed the cruise very much. We got lucky and got upgraded from an outside cabin to one of the hump balcony cabins. We had decided against paying more for a balcony cabin because we didn't think we would use it on a transatlantic cruise (i.e. too cold, rough, etc.). As it turned out we were able to and did use the balcony everyday except for one day during our Atlantic crossing when we had 60+ MPH winds and 35 to 40 foot waves. By the way the ship handled the rough seas very well and we had no sea sickness problems at all.

The ship is pretty well arranged although the concentration of elevators around the hump of the ship, there were 6 of them there, made it a crowded area at times. Our cabin was right off this area but we were on the other side of the ship from the elevators so the crowds at the elevators didn't ever bother us. The cabins have very good sound proofing. We never heard anything from anyone on either side of us or above us. The cabins had sufficient room for all our clothes and luggage (under the bed) and the small refrigerator did a good job of chilling our wine.

I'm putting together a better and longer review of the whole cruise which I will post on the RCL thread when I get it completed. Our only other experience with RCL was on the Enchantment a few years ago on a 7 day Caribbean cruise and while the cruise wasn't a total failure we weren't impressed with either the ship or the food. We were impressed by both the ship and the food on this cruise.

If you like sandwiches, hamburgers, good onion rings, and chili for lunch instead of doing the dining room or the buffet find the Sea View Cafe on deck 12 at the stern of the ship. We had heard about it on the board and tried it out and found it to be a great place to get a late snack after a long shore excursion or for a great lunch place during sea days.

Hope this helps you in looking forward to your cruise on the Jewel.

Keep the thread going. It is obvious that 81% want to be able to bring their own wine onboard. Are you listening RCCL.

Have a great next cruise.

Hi all,
Nice to know the RCI rep said you can bring wine (my DH drinks some german beer in a big bottle so I am sure he will be happy to know he can bring that) Is the corkage fee just if you drink it in the dining room? They don't charge that if you are drinking in your room (how can they know??) Also, I am flying to Orlando, is it better to bring wine/beer in carry on or checked luggage?
Thanks
Melissa

[quote name='melissa593']Hi all,
Nice to know the RCI rep said you can bring wine (my DH drinks some german beer in a big bottle so I am sure he will be happy to know he can bring that) Is the corkage fee just if you drink it in the dining room? They don't charge that if you are drinking in your room (how can they know??) Also, I am flying to Orlando, is it better to bring wine/beer in carry on or checked luggage?
Thanks
Melissa[/QUOTE]

Definately in carry on..IMHO. I don't want to be heart sick to see my luggage come off the carriers at the airport dripping my nice red wine that is all over my nice clean clothes!

Even if you put the bottles in plastic wrap/bubble wrap...those broken bottles are sharp and will tear through it.

I use a nice rolling carry on bag, and have never had any trouble at the airports at check in or security. Some that have looked, have admired! :)

Cheers!

win--looking forward to your review. We took enjoyed this ship more than just about any other and the Seaview is just great.

jc--I have one PWC which we have had for two seasons, this will be our third. BUT I grew up on boats and it always wanted more than the PWC, for fishing and floating. Will keep the PWC for the time being and will take it with us again in August when we vacation down in Cape May. We take it right into the ocean on calm days, otherwise throughout the waters that lead into Delaware Bay depending on the seas. Have had great fun with it on the Hudson, and have been very surprised at the light traffic on the river where we launch, so it has been pleasurable and safe.

We purchased this new boat after several boat shows/years of looking and deciding, a 22 ft Center Console Sailfish which meets our needs for the next 3.6 years when the average boat owner either bails out or buys other/bigger/different. If I could have afforded a 41' Silverton, I'd have died and gone to heaven, but here on earth this one we now have will suit me just fine. It is a fishing boat with aerated baitwells and rod holders galore, and this particular model, unlike other manufacturerers in this size class has a center console which affords a head. KEY for me and the girls! Nice amenites and finishes compared to others, and features as nicely as some others like Boston Whaler, Edgewater and Scout...so overall a nice boat with all the goodies and good value.

We will be keeping it in Sea Bright NJ, and the beach is right across the street from the marina, so it is sure to be a good summer. For reference, it is just below Sandy Hook and just oustide of Amrbose Channel, which is the major highway for the ships entering into NY harbor from the Atlantic. Fish are supposed to be large and just jump right into the boats! :D

We'll see.:rolleyes:

FC, that is cool. What brand is your PWC? We have a 98 Yamaha xl1200 and a 1994 Seadoo XP... which you might notice is really similar to my name in this and all other forums.... xp cdoo j k :D Now I know who to go visit for a fishing trip in Joisey! I am all about your 41 Silverton, let me know when you need crew when you get it. I am all about air conditioning! :D

jc

jc- we too have a Yamaha XLT 1200 a 2003. Our boat has a Yamaha engine so I am pleased since I like the Yamaha engine. We thought we would want to tow the kids ands in this state in order to do that you must have a three seater and reverse. (You also must have completed the Public Boating Course and passed the test just to operate) We never have towed however. We have ridden with three, but the ride is much better with two, much, much better solo.

Sorry to say, the Silverton may take quite a bit longer....;)

Archived