If I was to skip a port, which is better to skip?

j603

My son and I are booked on the Liberty the week of Feb 26th. We are definitely doing an excursion in Cozumel, but I am torn on the other ports of Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. I am toying with idea of the Turtle Farm in GC and the River Tubing in OR? But I would like to also just have a down day too. Which is more of a must do, or better put which has better beaches for cheap?

Any help is greatly appreciated.:)

It seems to me that you are looking at a beach day as your "down time". If that is not right then my advice may not make much sense.

Grand Cayman can be rather expensive wherever you go. the turtle farm, is just that a farm that raises turtles for food. IMO it is not worth the effort to get there. The other two things in GC that are "biggies" are a trip to the town of Hell, and swimming with the sting rays. I would arrange a sting ray excursion, not through the ship but privately. IMO you can't go wrong.

Dunns river falls are supposed to be very nice and should not be missed when you are in Jamaica. That leaves Cozumel.

I would change my plans and make Cozumel a beach day. You can go to one of the many beaches for a small cost and enjoy a lot of food and drink. I do not think much of Cozumel other than as a beach stop.

So if it were me I would make Cozumel the down time day.

Don't let the picture fool you it is a couple of miles.

Perhaps you are confusing Montego Bay and Ocho Rios.

The Margaritaville in Ocho Rios is next to the pier.

The Margaritaville in Montego Bay is downtown, several miles from the pier.

While Dunns River Falls was nice, I would probably never get off ship at Jamaica again. We found the locals to be rude and constantly trying to sell stuff. When we refused nicely, they would call names and follow us. We really disliked that, especially the souvenir area outside Dunns River Falls. Margaritaville there was nice, but you may not want to take an 11 year old there. When we were there, it was a lot of spring break age teens drinking a lot and grinding on the dance floor. Didnt bother us, but a parent with a child might not feel comfortable there.

Perhaps you are confusing Montego Bay and Ocho Rios.

The Margaritaville in Ocho Rios is next to the pier.

The Margaritaville in Montego Bay is downtown, several miles from the pier.

No I was looking at the ships off seven mile beach on GC.

Personally, I would go with Grand Cayman. Stingray city is a great excursion. You go out into the sea, hop into the clear blue water, and watch as the stingrays swim right by your feet. It's a wonderful scene. You also have 7 mile beach which is definitely better than the beaches in Ocho Rios. Of course, this is just my opinion. When we visited GC there were numerous tour guides to take you to stingray city, we spoke to a woman and she dropped the price a little for us, so don't go with the first person you talk to. The tour group we chose also included snorkeling in the package. Basically, on our way back to land, they stopped the boat and we had a chance to get off and snorkel. Also, while driving back to the ship the driver offered to let anyone off the bus if they wanted to visit the beach. Of course, you would have to take a taxi back to the ship, but it was worth it. If you choose to, you could: swim with the stingrays, snorkel, visit the beach, and do some shopping close to the port.

In Ocho Rios, you go down to the beach and climb up the waterfall. This was one of my best memories from our cruise, but it comes second to Grand Cayman. Although absolutely nothing happened to us, safety wise, we still had that bit of 'be careful' vibe.

Grand Cayman is my favorite port of all time. I love Stingray City and it can be done cheap. Try Moby Dick or NativeWay. They are much cheaper than Carnival. Or just go to Seven Mile Beach. I like Jamaica, but it is not my favorite place. I thought is was beautiful, but if I had to pick just one I would for sure pick GC. But I suggest you have down time on sea days with your son and go to all ports. You can do cheap stuff at an of these ports. Have a great trip.

How old is your son? I am taking my college age son on his first cruise next Jan. and I am doing the same ports. Come back and let us know how it went.

I loved GC both times we went. We did rays reefs and rum with nativeway and had the times of our lives! Both times in Ochos we used Pete Laffete had climbed the falls, sight see, shopped and once river tubed. will never tube again it was gross nasty water. The falls are fun! but I don't plan to do OR again will stay on ship or maybe a bar if we have no kids. never been to Coz so can't comment.

As you can see, everyone loves something different. I have enjoyed all three ports and I am so glad I have been to each.

Jamaica--I would definitely book an excursion. Dunns River Falls is great--but may be hard for a young kid. The main thing about Jamaica is the street begging. It can be intimidating for adults, let alone a child. If you book an all inclusive beach day, no one will be bothering you while you relax on the beach. I loved seeing the island in the distance--smokey blue mountains surrounded by mist and clouds as we pulled up. It reminded me of the Jurassic Park opeining scene. Lovely.

GC-Stingray/snorkle and feeding is awesome. If your little guy is uncomfortable, he can stay on the boat and watch from a distance. Nice beaches here--not a lot of begging from what I have experienced.

Cozumel- This is my favorite port. I feel safe wondering around the shops and the people are friendly! Our favorite thing to do is a beach day at Paradise Beach. We find a taxi (always a big van to transport the 13 of us) and negotiate the cost. He drives us to the beach and stays and waits until we want to leave at the end of the day. We pay for a wrist band, then sit under umbrellas, eat, drink, relax, and or play on the water toys--iceburg and trampoline. Food is delicious and price is right. Clean bathrooms and shower! Wonderful day. We have been three times.

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy all that you do.

Neither if you have never been before!!!:D We loved Ocho Rios, it ended up being our favorite port! We did the river tubing & Dunn's River Falls thru Island Marketing, it was a great deal and an awesome awesome awesome time!!!!!!

http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/RiverTubingDunnsFalls.htm

Have a great time!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Dunns River Falls was wonderful and great fun until you get to the top and they try to trap you in the straw market. The guides warn you about this, but the merchants dress in park uniforms and you can be misled into that place very quickly. This may be scary for your son, it was pretty scary for us. My DH have vowed never to do Jamaica again. Stingray city is awesome! The turtle farm would probably be pretty interesting to a boy.

Ocho Rios was our favorite port and excursions in 5 cruises! We booked an excursion through a very wonderful man who gets great reviews on here and did the river tubing (water wasn't gross at all the day we went) and the guides were great, helping with the children and adults who were nervous. Then we went horseback riding through a part of the town, and down to the beach. We swam in the ocean on the horses and it was the most wonderful thing I have ever done. Loved Jamaica, loved the people and loved the excursion. Don't be afraid, just do your research and book the right people.

My advice for Grand Cayman.....skip hell, the turtle farm, and sightseeing tours. Book beforehand with a reputable guide to take you to swim with the stingrays. We have done this twice. The first time......not so nice. The boat stopped in about 12 ft. of very choppy water and it was very scary! The crew did not help anyone and the captain even complained when one of the kids got back on the boat and splashed him. (Hello, your on a boat in the middle of the ocean!) We could see all the other boats and the people standing in shallow water and they appeared to be having a blast! I had booked the group for 25 of us and we ALL were very disapointed! The next year, we went with another company and it was the most fantastic day for about $30 pp! I told them of my concerns from the year before, and this experience was totally opposite! We were taken out to waist deep water and were attended to by a wonderful crew. We then went to a snorkeling area and had a wonderful time snorkeling! It was great!

Bottom line, life is short and you don't know how many experiences you may have with your son. They grow up so fast and you never know what life may bring. Don't miss either port! You want him to be able to say "I was to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios and had a blast!" Not "I was to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios and saw them from the ship".

We will be swimming with the stingrays for the 3rd time in May with the same great company who took us last year. And when I sent her an email, she called me the very same night.

If I had to choose one port to stay onboard and relax , It would be Grand Cayman .

Yes , nice beach but often overcrowded when multiple ships arrive .

Tendering can be a hassle .

But , if you have never been to any of the ports , don't skip a one.

They all offer a different island experience .

I agree with poster MCC, your itinerary has 3 ports and 3 sea days - that's a nice balance, do you really need another day on the ship? Experience each culture that the different islands offer, it will be a learning experience for your son. BTW, if cost is a factor, remember that you can spend as much, if not more $$$ by staying on the ship, then heading off.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]In Jamaica we did the river tube trip and it was a big letdown probably because we have cave tubed in Belize and Hawaii. Do the falls or zip line if you get off the ship or Jimmy B's in Jamaica. Or to answer your question: Jamaica[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Archived