Has anyone actually enjoyed the Guggenheim museum?

Jo and Rob

I assume you are referring to the Bilbao museum.

Yes, I enjoy the collection. If you are not "into" modern art (and the Bilbao collection seems to be a bit more experimental than the other Guggenheims) I can see why it would leave you cold.

http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/collections/collection-online/show-list/museum/?search=Guggenheim+Museum+Bilbao gives you a sampling of many of the major pieces.

I am not into modern art or abstract. To me the outside of the museum (Bilbao) was more interesting as was the setting of it. Some displays in the museum were closed which was a bit cheeky as there was no discount for this and no mention of it till we were inside. My OH is into art but he did not seem overly impressed. He, like me, found the museum from the outside quite impressive.

We spent 3 nights in Bilbao and naturally paid the entrance fee to see the art inside. Like most others, I was more interested in the architecture inside than the art in the walls or the sculptures. Our hotel was a 15 minute walk from the Guggenheim so I would go back during different times of the day and photograph the exterior from many different angles and lighting conditions.

Archived