West Caribbean: What's more important? Ports or Ship?

ronmaple

Hi! This is my first posting on Cruise Critic, and I hope you all can help me. I am STUCK between booking a cruise on the Carnival Legend or Valor, OR booking one on Royal Caribbean Liberty of Seas. We are traveling with 11 and 14-year-old boys. The 14 year old is very sporty and gets bored REALLY easily. My conundrum: I'm convinced that RC is the right ship for us, BUT that cruise does not include Roatan and Grand Cayman, two top destinations on our list. The RC cruise includes Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize. Should I even CARE about the ports, really? What do tweens care about? If they're not happy, we're not happy. HALP! I need to move on with my life and BOOK something! :rolleyes: Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

If one cruise ship is going to the ports I prefer, I sail that ship. Can always sail the other ship another time. Or conversely, choose the ship of preference and go to the ports of preference another time.

There are plenty of activities for teens on both RC and Carnival.

Belize. We were there in November and if you're not doing a ship sponsored tour (which we did to the ruins) I'm not sure there is much else to do there besides shop or drink. You can check out the Belize board on this site for other options and opinions. Note Belize is a tender port--the ship anchors and you will get to shore on a smaller boat.

Grand Cayman has beautiful beaches, and a Stingray City excursion is interesting. Also a tender port.

I hear you about Roatan. We were also just there and found it very nice. We booked a day pass at Foster's beach and enjoyed it very much. The ziplining excursions we went past here looked really great too so I think I'd do that next time.

Enjoy your cruise--whichever you choose.

Why not book a Royal Caribbean ship that goes to the ports you want to go with? You are not restricted to only the cruises you mentioned - RCI has plenty of ships that sail to the ports you mentioned (especially Cayman Islands).

I choose ports over ship personally. The only way I would choose a ship over ports is if I have already been to every port available (which hasn't happened yet) or if I have a lot of seas days to where I will be spending a substantial amount of time during the day on the ship.

Is there anyway to find a ship that you like with the ports you want to visit?

Anyway, I hope it works out and have fun planning your vacation!

Thanks so much for your thoughts. They are IMMENSELY HELPFUL! Unfortunately, RC doesn't have the "dream itinerary" ship running on the right dates for us. BUT, I wonder if I should return to the Carnival idea. They DO have the itinerary. If the ship isn't such a big deal. Oh dear. Well, thanks again! All new comments welcome!

we did the carnival valor itinerary with GC and Roatan last year. It was great. I don't really know what they have for the teens though. I think you should ask questions about the programs carnivals offers. No matter what I'm sure they will have fun.

We have been on the Valor before when our children were teenagers. They were never bored. Our spring cruise this year will be on the Valor again. I read that it will be in dry dock the end of this month. I don't know what they are doing during those 2 weeks. According to some reviews, the Valor does have a water slide now. Looking at Liberty of the Sea, it is a 5 star ship and the Valor is a 4 star ship. If we could afford the Liberty of the Sea, we would go on it. I believe I read it has a skating rink and rock climibing wall. We have only been on one Royal Caribbean ship and the food was not as good as Carnival. We love Cozumel and Belize but have no desire to ever go back to Costa Maya. If you go to Belize, check out Bannister Beach with coralbreeze tours. Roatan and Cozumel are two of our favorite port. With the money you save going on Carnival, you could spend more on excursions. I think your children will love either cruise you decide on. We are Carnival fans!!! Hope this helps.

We went on the Valor in the summer of 2009. We did the Roatan, Cozumel, etc. cruise. It was excellent. We had two young adults that were never bored! I do not think your teens will be bored. We were impressed with the Valor. It had been 7 years since we did a Carnival Cruise, and we both really felt it had improved! It was great!

Wow! ! Late last night, we booked the Valor, and I woke up this morning, logged in, and saw your responses! How reaffirming! You all helped me SO much. Thank you! We have the perfect itinerary and we will be on a "fun" ship that we could actually afford! :D

Archived