Disappointing going from 7 night cruises to a 5 night?

Name Of The Game

OK the Valor is out. Cruise and airfare to FLL is over $1700, which is higher than even the Legend and Freedom, and that's before the shuttle to Miami.

Looks like it will either have to be the Legend or Inspiration. We're glad that Jen will be off the Legend. We liked the layout of that ship but have to say the food and service was not as good as on other ships. Of course we wouldn't have the same exact personnel serving us so it could be different, just saying...

Thanks for your replies.

We were looking at a 7 nighter but additional expenses came into play so we decided to go down on the days since we have done it before and go for a closer port with the possibility of driving if air fare doesn't cooperate. It will still be great just to hear that horn and see those clear waters !!!

Our 2009 car just turned 10k miles. We don't like to drive much particularly in strange cities and would be nervous making it a stressful beginning/end to a vacation.

The $330 airfare to FLL is high to us because we paid $280 last year. I know flights will go up even more with the gas prices this year. Maybe we should just pick one of the cruises to Tampa now and lock in the low airfare while we can... :confused:

You can use sidestep.com to track the fares. It will let you know when they go down so that you can book it. I am using USA3000 to fly into Florida and the fares for them and Continental really bounced around over the 2 months I tracked it. Good luck. At least you can focus on soemthing other than all of this snow!!

Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked at sidestep and the only nonstop fares were United and Continental (and the two are merged now). It was actually $20.00 more PP than booking directly with Continental. I'm pretty sure we'll end up flying out of Tampa, just deciding between the Legend and Inspiration.

Ouch.

5 nights is way short and for me, flying costs so much that I'd want to make it worth the $$ I had to shell out to get to Fl.

can you book a B2B??

(Sailing out of Tampa is very nice :))

Ya, try to tack on a 3 nighter on the cheap before or after your 5 night. We have done this before and it's fun, plus you can usually get an inside for one of those 3 nighters for like 150-199.

We did a 7 day Disney cruise 9/2007, a 3 day CCL 3/2010 and a 5 day CCL 8/2010. We are doing a CCL 4 day next month. The 3 day was too short (just when you're gettin' into it...it's over), but the 5 day really was not too short and felt much like a 7 day.

Ya, try to tack on a 3 nighter on the cheap before or after your 5 night. We have done this before and it's fun, plus you can usually get an inside for one of those 3 nighters for like 150-199.

Wish we could but 7 days is the most we can cruise because we fly in the day before making it 8 nights already. Have to get home to work/pets.

We're snowed in at Cleveland so looking for opinions for our next cruise.

Our first five cruises were 7 nights. They seemed long in a good way.

Last year we found a deal for the 6 night Freedom. We were a bit concerned that the 6 night would feel much shorter but it really didn't and we loved it. In fact, the Freedom was probably our favorite ship/cruise.

Looking into the fall of this year the only reasonable airfare is to Tampa, which seems to limit our choices to the Legend and Inspiration. (We've been on the Legend before) Right now the airfare to Ft Lauderdale is so much higher that the 6 night Freedom ends up costing the same/more than the 7 night Legend.

We can take the 5 night Inspiration for $400 less total than either of the other two. For those who have sailed 7 nights and then dropped down to 5, did the time just fly by? $400 seems like a big difference. However, we only cruise once a year and don't want to regret our choice.

Opinions please?

Have you considered flying from Pittsburgh? Depending where you are in Cleveland it could be as little as a two hour drive.

We've had a lot of success with finding airfare under $200 r/t to MIA/FLL from PIT. I usually book one-way to be able to switch airlines and airports based on price and convenience. Our next trip has us flying into MIA on American non-stop and out of FLL on Airtran. QLS will take us to the FLL airport after our cruise for $13 per passenger ($15 if less than 6).

You might also look at New Orleans. For some reason airfare from PIT to New Orleans always seems reasonable.

Good luck with your planning.

Hi Neighbor, I totally get your snow frustrations. I am a clevelander too.

Regarding your post: My first cruise was 7 days, LOVED IT! My second cruise was 5 days only because we got married and wanted the most affordable cruise for all our guest (47 people joined us):D

However, I did feel the difference in the days, I wil be honest, it was heartbreaking but we dealed with it. In my opinion if cruising means that much to you (like it does to me), I would go with the 5 day for the cheaper cost.

Just think how I am feeling, we just booked our Kids first cruise it is only 4 days:eek:!!!! I wanted to see how they would do on a shorter lenght cruise..they are 12 and 8 and the price was unbeatable.

Happy sailing

Maybe check in to a rental car from TPA to Mia/FLL one way and see if it makes any sense to do that it would be about a 3 hour drive give or take then you could spend the night in TPA if it is cheaper and drive over that morning if you are set on a 7 day :)

Gas on that would be about $30 so total of about $80 with the car.

Might look into an open jaw flight in that case. One way back from MIA might not be as much as the flight coming down.

We're snowed in at Cleveland so looking for opinions for our next cruise.

Our first five cruises were 7 nights. They seemed long in a good way.

Last year we found a deal for the 6 night Freedom. We were a bit concerned that the 6 night would feel much shorter but it really didn't and we loved it. In fact, the Freedom was probably our favorite ship/cruise.

Looking into the fall of this year the only reasonable airfare is to Tampa, which seems to limit our choices to the Legend and Inspiration. (We've been on the Legend before) Right now the airfare to Ft Lauderdale is so much higher that the 6 night Freedom ends up costing the same/more than the 7 night Legend.

We can take the 5 night Inspiration for $400 less total than either of the other two. For those who have sailed 7 nights and then dropped down to 5, did the time just fly by? $400 seems like a big difference. However, we only cruise once a year and don't want to regret our choice.

Opinions please?

try a 2 night to the bahamas and you will really hate it LOL

Well I'm on the West Coast but we are taking a 5 day and mho any cruise is a good cruise. Why don't you come into town a few days earlier to extend you vacation? Thats what we are doing, but San Diego has a bunch of stuff to do. Same as Miami or which ever port your going out of.

Archived