Layover activities in Toronto

mountainhouse

We'll be in Toronto for 5 hours on the way to CPH and 4 on the way back. Might use Starwood points for the Sheraton on one of those. I don't think we'll have the energy to head into the city center. Any other suggestions? Things to see near the airport, or good restaurants at the airport?

Which terminal will you be connecting through? Terminal one or Terminal Three or both. ( There is no longer a Terminal two, it was torn down ). The food choices are different in each. You would not have enough time to leave the airport for any local activities. For connections in the airport look at the appropriate videos for what you are doing. http://gtaa.com/en/travellers/connecting/connection_options__/

For some Terminal One photos look at this link. http://travel.webshots.com/album/579517573rMdzFD?start=0

In my opinion the better food choices are in Terminal Three. In Terminal One, in Pier F which services the American and International flights, the best choice is probably at the Molson Pub. On the domestic side in Pier E, the best food is likely at Casey's. Prices are a little higher than they would be outside of the airport but not outrageous. In Terminal Three the best food is outside security on the departures level with several choices. The best in my opinion is the Swiss Chalet restaurant. Connected to Terminal 3 is the Sheraton Gateway which has a restaurant as well but I have no experience with it.

Hope this helps

Two weeks ago, on our way to Miami, it took us an hour from check-in to when we cleared security. That includes clearing American Customs and border protction. US customs was busy but had something like 10 agents on duty. On your return trip back to the USA, allow at least an hour for this process. I have seen US customs with just a few agents on duty and have taken an hour just for that stage of getting to the gate. This past Sunday night, it only took us maybe 30 mins from the aircraft to process through Canadian Customs, and maybe 15 mins more to collect our baggage. To get to Terminal 3 you will use the LINK train. Both terminal one and the LINK train terminal are connected to the parking garage. From baggage claim on arrivals you go up one level and across the bridge to the garage then bear left to enter the LINK train termnal.

Toronto has so much to see and is a wonderful city for touring but five hours wouldn't be enough time for any sort of touring. The airport is out in the suburbs with little to see nearby. You'd never be able to see much and get back through security in time to catch your connecting flight. As others have already said, find a nice lounge and make yourselves comfortable.

2P.P1

4-5 hrs really isn't much time, especially if you have to clear customs at any point. That being said, there is a convention center near the airport and it might be worth seeing if anything interesting is on. http://www.internationalcentre.com/

When I have that big a layover, I've gone to a couple local restaurants off site as well as simply hang out in the bar at the Airport Sheraton.

Archived