will NCL ever return to South America?

rjm11

does Cartagena count? or are you looking for several ports of call in S.A.?

i have one booked that goes to Cartagena,Colombia its for only one day from 8am-3pm.its the only stop in S.A.i dont know of any cruises offered by NCL present or future that have any other stops in S.A. i think you may have to try a different line

while Cartegena is South America, I was thinking of the Buenos Aires/Santiago round-the-horn ones they did until last year on the Sun. Several lines offer them, but I really like NCL, and from what I remember of their itinerary it included Falkland Island, which I want as well.

anyone else heard anything hopeful?

I too would love to do the 'round the Horn cruise with NCL, and was very disappointed when they dropped the itinerary. I asked the NCL cruise consultant about this last year on the Jade after the "future cruise" presentation, and she said that she had no info about any return to South America, and said that when NCL pulls out of a market, they don't typically return for at least two years (if at all).

while Cartegena is South America, I was thinking of the Buenos Aires/Santiago round-the-horn ones they did until last year on the Sun. Several lines offer them, but I really like NCL, and from what I remember of their itinerary it included Falkland Island, which I want as well.

anyone else heard anything hopeful?

Just a guess but I'd say no. The high cost of airfare made it difficult for NCL to cruise at full capacity.

Enjoy

Just a guess but I'd say no. The high cost of airfare made it difficult for NCL to cruise at full capacity.

Enjoy

On our SA trip aboard the Sun last year, the ship was full. Our airfare to Buenos Aires and returning from Santiago, was cheaper than anything I can get to Europe right now. I would love to round the horn once again. It was a spectacular cruise for 14 nights. I hope NCL will return to SA once again.

The trip around the horn WAS going to be the next cruise DH and I were about to start planning. That was until we found out that NCL no longer will be offering this itinerary. Sure wish they would put this South American route back on their schedule!

We did this cruise in March/April 2010 ...in fact we were the LAST one. MANY of us had gotten it for a real steal in January 2009 when they had a buy one get one half price sale. I think the previous poster was right when he said NCL had trouble filling the ships at a price point they wanted UNTIL they announced they were pulling out. As I recall, our stern balcony (9077) cost us right around $800 per person total and by a month or two before the cruise, insides were selling for $1200 or so per person BEFORE taxes and port charges.....and oh yeah, we got an OBC too. Anyway, I feel sure it was a financial decision on NCL's part...just like it appears moving Sun away from Port Canaveral is in 2012 which I also hate.

Depending on how long you are willing to wait then you can cross your fingers and hope the Round the Horn appears on NCL's roster in 2013 or 2014 or you can pick another line and go sooner. We got lucky, we had been discussing it and quite frankly hadn't planned on going until this year, but when the sale came up we realized we needed to grab it....so glad we did. It was a great trip - great mix of ports and sea days. I highly recommend one that calls at the Falklands - our stop there was one of many highlights of our trip but it was the day we really KNEW we were close to the South Pole...brrrrr.

I also loved SA! The Celebrity Infinity practically mirrored our itinerary ... But no Falklands! Those I spoke with in port were pleased on Infinity, as I has been on X Summit previously.

I agree, the Falklands was special. However, sometimes that port gets cancelled due to weather, as I've read in some reviews.

On a side note, we met a couple college-aged girls who paid less than $500 each for their cruise. They needed to go from Santiago to BA. Said it was cheaper than flying. They had plenty of time on their hands and they got well fed for 2 weeks too! So it looks like there were bargain basement prices available. (Not for us, we splurged on an aft AC which was heaven AND I was lucky that my excursion to Antarctica was a go! Incredible!)

Archived