Factual Documentation regarding TSA Scanners

klfrodo

http://www.acr.org/homepagecategories/news/acrnewscenter/statementonairportfullbodyscanners.aspx

I found this page at one of the hospitals I was recently working at.

You may ask, who is ACR. ACR is the accrediting body who tests and accredits radiologists, radiology technologists, physicists and advises the FDA on safety and limitations.

Then of course, you'll always have those like my father in law. "Why let facts get in the way of a good story".

There are many sides to this story. As a cancer patient I can tell you that these scans invade privacy in a way they should not.

Please,,, I work in the industry and you're blowing smoke.

I'm sorry you have/had cancer. However, that has nothing to do with the story or the scare tactics people are trying to use.

Once again, the article above is factual. You can't get cancer from the Millimeter Wave system because it's nothing more than a baby MRI. An MRI does not use radiation. An MRI uses RF (Radio Frequency) technology and software magic to display an image.

The Back Scatter technology does use radiation but it is so minimal that it's insignificant.

If folks want to drink the Kool-Aid fine. Have a tall glass, just don't try to spout your fear mongering against scientific facts.

Please,,, I work in the industry and you're blowing smoke.

I'm sorry you have/had cancer. However, that has nothing to do with the story or the scare tactics people are trying to use.

Once again, the article above is factual. You can't get cancer from the Millimeter Wave system because it's nothing more than a baby MRI. An MRI does not use radiation. An MRI uses RF (Radio Frequency) technology and software magic to display an image.

The Back Scatter technology does use radiation but it is so minimal that it's insignificant.

If folks want to drink the Kool-Aid fine. Have a tall glass, just don't try to spout your fear mongering against scientific facts.

I am not talking about getting cancer. I have it. I am talking about the invasion of privacy when you have medical devices like ports etc.You seem to misunderstand my statement and perhaps I was not clear enough. Why are you so angry? Relax.:D

http://www.acr.org/homepagecategories/news/acrnewscenter/statementonairportfullbodyscanners.aspx

I found this page at one of the hospitals I was recently working at.

You may ask, who is ACR. ACR is the accrediting body who tests and accredits radiologists, radiology technologists, physicists and advises the FDA on safety and limitations.

Then of course, you'll always have those like my father in law. "Why let facts get in the way of a good story".

Thanks for posting this -- have been looking for something like it when people start spouting off nonsense about the radiation exposure.

I am not talking about getting cancer. I have it. I am talking about the invasion of privacy when you have medical devices like ports etc.You seem to misunderstand my statement and perhaps I was not clear enough. Why are you so angry? Relax.:D

You are correct. I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were saying the additional radiation exposure lead to or may have lead to your current bout with cancer. For that misunderstanding, I apologize.

Why was I angry? I had just gotten finished reading the other thread about someone wanting to vent about TSA scanners. All of the misinformation, all of the rhetoric, all of the fear mongering is mind boggeling.

Not wanting to do something because of a privacy issue (even though I don't agree) is one issue. Not doing something based on ignorance of the facts are another.

Archived