Oosterdam to Australia

spencercoop

I don't think this has been announced yet, but I may be wrong. It looks like the Oosterdam will start sailing from Sydney on Oct 24, 2012.

You can check out the port schedule to see which days the Oosterdam will be in Sydney.

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/14594/Passenger_Vessel_Schedule_12_January_2011.pdf

Oh I hope so!

Looks like you are right . . .now we have another HAL ship to choose from without needing to endure long flights both ways!:D

Great news for you, but bad news for us Californians because it means we are loosing another ship.

Great news for you, but bad news for us Californians because it means we are loosing another ship.

LOL, true, but you might get one of the new fancy ones to choose from instead. Only downside, it won't be a HAL ship.

I always feel as though 'you guys' get all the good cruises!:p

Guess it's probably just because you are so far away with 'greener grass' and all:D

It looks like the Zaandam will only cruise in Australia during the 2011 season & the Oosterdam will cruise here during the 2012 season with the Volendam.

I don't think this has been announced yet, but I may be wrong. It looks like the Oosterdam will start sailing from Sydney on Oct 24, 2012.

You can check out the port schedule to see which days the Oosterdam will be in Sydney.

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/14594/Passenger_Vessel_Schedule_12_January_2011.pdf

It does concern me that RCC pulled out of California. I have hear rumors (and they are only rumors) that all cruise ships will pull out of California because of strict green initiatives. I love having the option to just drive to the port of embarkation rather than flying. I'm sad if this is true!

This would be fantastic!!!

I hope it happens!!!

A few years ago, I saw the Zuiderdam listed as coming to Australia on the same website. It never happened....

Would love the Oosterdam to be down under! it is one of our favourite ships!!!

:D:D:D

This would be fantastic!!!

I hope it happens!!!

A few years ago, I saw the Zuiderdam listed as coming to Australia on the same website. It never happened....

Would love the Oosterdam to be down under! it is one of our favourite ships!!!

Which one did you prefer, the Oosterdam or Brilliance of the Seas, which is a sister ship to the Radiance of the Seas, which is due here later this year?

Which one did you prefer, the Oosterdam or Brilliance of the Seas, which is a sister ship to the Radiance of the Seas, which is due here later this year?

Without a doubt, the Oosterdam!!!

We had a much grander room on the Brilliance than we had on either of our Oosterdam cruises, but the Oosterdam is quieter, and less "crass".... We appreciate the positive features of both lines but prefer HAL over RCI...

I do not think that we will cruise on the Brilliance again anytime soon, but never say never, particularly if it/or similar is joining the ranks of the very few ships that visit our shores down under!!!

Without a doubt, the Oosterdam!!!

We had a much grander room on the Brilliance than we had on either of our Oosterdam cruises, but the Oosterdam is quieter, and less "crass".... We appreciate the positive features of both lines but prefer HAL over RCI...

I do not think that we will cruise on the Brilliance again anytime soon, but never say never, particularly if it/or similar is joining the ranks of the very few ships that visit our shores down under!!!

That is good to know. We might start to see a lot better pricing for cruising.:D:D:D

FWIW CCL is also moving a West Coast ship Downunder next year:

Carnival Cruise Lines is set to move their Carnival Spirit vessel to Australia in 2012. This is the cruise company’s last ship based in San Diego, and they don’t plan to send it back. Carnival Australia chief executive Ann Sherry confirmed the move, saying that the ship will add another dimension to Australian cruises.

http://news.carrentals.co.uk/carnival-cruise-lines-moving-last-san-diego-ship-to-sydney-34232910.html

That is great news for Australia, we need some good news.

How does it compare to the Volendam and Zaandam?

The Oosterdam is a Vista class ship, and is much larger than the Volendam/Zaandam sisters. However, cabins in the same category are smaller.

The deckplans are different, but the ship has the same public rooms. There's an additional public room, the Northern Lights Disco, leaving the Crows Nest as a quiet evening lounge.

More importantly, the food and service is all HAL. The atmosphere will feel familiar to HAL patrons. Decor is of a similar style. That is, the ship will have wood and brass, and feel like a traditional. It also has the full wrap-around Promenade Deck, which is standard with HAL.

The Oosterdam is a Vista class ship, and is much larger than the Volendam/Zaandam sisters. However, cabins in the same category are smaller.

The deckplans are different, but the ship has the same public rooms. There's an additional public room, the Northern Lights Disco, leaving the Crows Nest as a quiet evening lounge.

More importantly, the food and service is all HAL. The atmosphere will feel familiar to HAL patrons. Decor is of a similar style. That is, the ship will have wood and brass, and feel like a traditional. It also has the full wrap-around Promenade Deck, which is standard with HAL.

As a family of 4 will we feel more like squashed in then the Volendam. We were very happy with our outside cabin on the Volendam. The only problem with the Volendam we couldn't get a balcony cabin as they don't cater for 4 people. Does the Oosterdam have balcony cabins for 4 people? We don't want a suite, too much money.

I would not trust the Ports website more then 2 - 3 years out, as the lines sometimes just book spaces with what every ship, so my guest it will be the Volendam & / or Zaandam & / or Amsterdam.

For example last year I thought the Oosterdam was coming down under, but it was space for the Volendam, Zaandam and Amsterdam.

Archived