Looking for Amsterdam to Budapest River Cruise Recommendations for May, 2012

jane1244

Hi! We're new to River Cruising and have been somewhat overwhelmed by all the options out there. We're looking for recommendations for an Amsterdam to Budapest cruise in May of 2012. So far I'm leaning towards Scenictours, Vantage and AMA....... can anyone sway me????? We are a party of 4 who love the history and excitement of the ports of call, the dining experiences and ambience and relaxation of shipboard life...... we're open to all suggestions... thanks!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi! We're new to River Cruising and have been somewhat overwhelmed by all the options out there. We're looking for recommendations for an Amsterdam to Budapest cruise in May of 2012. So far I'm leaning towards Scenictours, Vantage and AMA....... can anyone sway me????? We are a party of 4 who love the history and excitement of the ports of call, the dining experiences and ambience and relaxation of shipboard life...... we're open to all suggestions... thanks!!![/quote

We just booked with a group of friends on Viking Prestige for August 2012 for the same itinerary from Budapest to Amsterdam. This will be our second river cruise with Viking and I can highly recommend them. If you have any questions about Viking, I would be happy to answer them for you.

Regards,

Arlene

May I suggest you look at Vantage. We have done 2 river cruises with them, one in 2007 and one in 2010. IMO, they give the most bang for the buck as far as including excursions and transfers.

The stories and pictures from our trips are on our website http://www.stevekathytravels.com

We will be happy to answer any questions.

Hi there -

I can't speak to one over the other quite yet. Will be on Scenic in early April (their 1st Tulip Time cruise) - and then can compare to AMA.

Vantage isn't one that I will (most likely) ever travel as it is difficult for those of us who live outside the US.

I will be posting about our experiences on Scenic after we return.

Hello,

My daughter and I just did the Magnificent Europe cruise in December with Amawaterways. We had a wonderful time and highly recommend them. We did the opposite itinerary from Budapest to Amsterdam.

Actually we liked it so much that we are going to book the Vietnam and Cambodia trip with them.

Have fun whichever one you choose.

We are about to take our third cruise with Viking. We sailed with them in April 2009 on their "Grand European" cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. We arrived in Amsterdam a few days ahead of the cruise departure and thoroughly enjoyed the city and its sights, Kuekenhof Gardens, Zaanse Schans - a windmill village, the red-light district and the Anne Frank House. There is much to see and do in Amsterdam and you should try to get a head start if you go since what you'll get to see as part of your cruise is limited. Public transportation is easy to use. This was our first cruise with Viking and we subsequently booked our "Imperial Jewels of China" cruisetour which we took last October and are awaiting our "France's Finest" cruise this April. The first cruise was fantastic. The China trip left us a little disenchanted in spots. We had airline ticket issues and a bad stateroom experience aboard the ship in China. Viking was quick to apologize for those problems and make it right upon our return home. And while we had a couple of bad experiences we still enjoyed that trip as well. We're hoping our upcoming trip mirrors our first experience, and I think it will. I think the key to a pleasurable time is to be flexible and have the ability to roll with the punches - most people who get po'd have set their expectations so high no cruise company could deliver, not matter what. I think you'll find most are pretty much the same. One thing that stands out for me is the fact that during the Iceland volcano incident Viking allowed stranded passengers to stay aboard the ship free of charge until they could get home. That's some pretty gracious customer service.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Partyhatsforeveryone....

Thanks for the post to my message.... just wondering if you bought the bevberage packages (alchohol) on your previous cruises and if you thought that it was a better deal than buying wine and beer ashore to bring aboard?? One of our friends doesn't really drink at all but a package has to be purchased for both people in a room. And for 2012, there is no non-alchoholic package available. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Marcia

• 1 month later...
Hi! We're new to River Cruising and have been somewhat overwhelmed by all the options out there. We're looking for recommendations for an Amsterdam to Budapest cruise in May of 2012. So far I'm leaning towards Scenictours, Vantage and AMA....... can anyone sway me????? We are a party of 4 who love the history and excitement of the ports of call, the dining experiences and ambience and relaxation of shipboard life...... we're open to all suggestions... thanks!!!

We were on Vantage River Navigator, Amsterdam to Budapest in May 2007 and enjoyed it tremendously. Smoking only allowed on part of top (outside)deck

Tom:)

• 2 weeks later...

thank you Arlene! We did book with Viking - they had very good reviews from a lot of cruisers! We'll be doing the Am'Dam to Budapest trip on May 20, 2012....... watch for my pictures!!!:)

Hi! We're new to River Cruising and have been somewhat overwhelmed by all the options out there. We're looking for recommendations for an Amsterdam to Budapest cruise in May of 2012. So far I'm leaning towards Scenictours, Vantage and AMA....... can anyone sway me????? We are a party of 4 who love the history and excitement of the ports of call, the dining experiences and ambience and relaxation of shipboard life...... we're open to all suggestions... thanks!!![/quote

We just booked with a group of friends on Viking Prestige for August 2012 for the same itinerary from Budapest to Amsterdam. This will be our second river cruise with Viking and I can highly recommend them. If you have any questions about Viking, I would be happy to answer them for you.

Regards,

Arlene

Hi there -

I can't speak to one over the other quite yet. Will be on Scenic in early April (their 1st Tulip Time cruise) - and then can compare to AMA.

Vantage isn't one that I will (most likely) ever travel as it is difficult for those of us who live outside the US.

I will be posting about our experiences on Scenic after we return.

We look forward to hearing how you like it. We are doing the same in July, Robyn

Archived