Question On Sixth Month Passport Validity Rule

BobolGrobol

OK, I am an idiot and *just* checked my DD's passport. It is not expired, but it will have just slightly less than six months validity when we disembark.

We sail on 1/30 (Conquest Eastern), disembark on 2/6 and her passport expires 6/26/11. Not a huge amount of time, but still not technically six months validity.

Does anyone know if this will still fly? We do have her birth certificate if need be, but I really prefer the passport. Silly me for not checking sooner and getting it renewed. Guess what the first thing is I'll be doing when we get back. :)

Thanks for any advice/experiences...

Cheers,

Ang

Since its not required, you will be ok. Some countries you cannot fly with it, but you will be ok for the cruise. I saw mine would be within 6 months, and bite the bullet and renewed it, but I had time to plan ahead.

Just go with it and renew it when you get home.

OK, I am an idiot and *just* checked my DD's passport. It is not expired, but it will have just slightly less than six months validity when we disembark.

We sail on 1/30 (Conquest Eastern), disembark on 2/6 and her passport expires 6/26/11. Not a huge amount of time, but still not technically six months validity.

Does anyone know if this will still fly? We do have her birth certificate if need be, but I really prefer the passport. Silly me for not checking sooner and getting it renewed. Guess what the first thing is I'll be doing when we get back. :)

Thanks for any advice/experiences...

Cheers,

Ang

It's fine since you don't need a passport anyway :)

A passport serves two purposes: it allows you entry into a foreign country, and it allows re-entry into the United States.

All of the Caribbean island nations have eliminated the requirement that US citizens have a passport to enter their countries, so a passport is not needed.

The six-month rule is imposed by some countries that DO require a passport. The thinking is that, if you overstay your planned visit, either deliberately or for unexpected reasons, such as a hospital stay, you will not have passport/immigration issues to worry about.

AFAIK, you can return to the US with a valid US passport up until the very day that it expires. I suspect that, if you arrived home with a passport that expired yesterday, the immigration official would, at most, raise his/her eyebrows and remind you to get it renewed before your next trip.

The only time, on a Caribbean cruise, that you would NEED a passport, is if you had to fly home before the cruise ended. In that case, a birth certificate is not sufficient. However, since the US does not impose a six-month rule, you would be okay.

Paul

You really don't need a passport??? I just told my friend to get one RUSHED because we're cruising Feb 20 and she doesn't have one.. we're going to Belize, Cozumel, Isla Roatan, and Grand Cayman. Belize is not an island.. do they require a passport?

You really don't need a passport??? I just told my friend to get one RUSHED because we're cruising Feb 20 and she doesn't have one.. we're going to Belize, Cozumel, Isla Roatan, and Grand Cayman. Belize is not an island.. do they require a passport?

If your friend is a US citizen, the cruise begins and ends at the same port, and it only goes to the ports you listed, then NO. No passport required. It is considered a "closed-loop" cruise. She only needs a certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Archived