Has anybody been ....

kasijab

to Alaska in June?

We are booked on the 12th June sailing from Vancouver on Century. Being in June I assumed it would not be too cold ...and yes, I do appreciate there are glaciers and icebergs so it will not be over warm either. But reading around other places they are saying to pack thermals etc ...

Has anybody actually been at this time that can advise me as to what it will really be like? Any help would be appreciated

It is best to pack layers; the temperature can fluctuate quite a bit and whether or not the sun is out makes a big difference (as well as whether or not there is rain and how windy it is). On average in places like Sitka and Juneau the average temperatures during June during day time are in the 50s and at nighttime in the 40s. I did my Alaska cruise in May. At times it was very chilly and I had to wear a jacket and multiple layers underneath; at other times I was fine in a t-shirt.

It is best to pack layers; the temperature can fluctuate quite a bit and whether or not the sun is out makes a big difference (as well as whether or not there is rain and how windy it is). On average in places like Sitka and Juneau the average temperatures during June during day time are in the 50s and at nighttime in the 40s. I did my Alaska cruise in May. At times it was very chilly and I had to wear a jacket and multiple layers underneath; at other times I was fine in a t-shirt.

Good advice for June, July, or August for that matter. We cruised twice in July and found temperatures running everywhere from 80+ degrees down to low 50's. In Alaska in the summer one must always do layers and be prepared for just about any temperature (as well as rain, rain, and possibly more rain).

We went in June a few years ago. At some ports, I had hats, gloves, scarf, and coat! We did the cruisetour and it was 92 in Fairbanks the days we were there! Not only did we get sunburnt, but we were extremely grateful for air conditioning!

One year we were in Alaska in June and it rained EVERY day and did not get above 60 degrees. Another time, it was in the high 70's and beautiful. Prepare for cold and dress in layers so you can dress down if you have to, Alaska weather can change in 60 seconds! Have fun!

to Alaska in June?

We are booked on the 12th June sailing from Vancouver on Century. Being in June I assumed it would not be too cold ...and yes, I do appreciate there are glaciers and icebergs so it will not be over warm either. But reading around other places they are saying to pack thermals etc ...

Has anybody actually been at this time that can advise me as to what it will really be like? Any help would be appreciated

Alaska in June was our 1st cruise(9 yrs ago). Wore jeans, blouse & a pullover sweater during the day. By noon the sweater came off. Needed a heavy jacket for visiting the glaciers. Bring insect repellent. Use weather tracking website to chart the weather for your ports. Also it tends to rain so a waterproof jacket is a plus. I used a Lands End winter jacket with a zip in/out lining.Take a jacket with a lot of pockets-if you do helicopter sightseeing you will not be permitted to bring handbags, camera bags. Everything (wallet, camera,etc goes into your pockets.

Have awonderful trip

Carole

Archived