Discounted Lower Deck Cabins

jeepchick444

hi all,,,,can anyone give info on deck levels 1 and 2,,,,,my daughter would like to book a discounted interior cabin on one of these levels and not sure how they are??? is there any negative to being down so low on the ship,,,,my husband and i usually book decks 8/9/10 so we are no help,,,,thanks!! :confused:

Carnival doesnt discount lower decks... maybe you just mean that its a cheaper rate than higher decks?

A little less convenient to the buffet and other venues, more elevator time.

The cabins are exactly the same as other in the same type category. I inside or OV is pretty standard.

Midship on the lowest deck is what we normally prefer. Best location. Very quiet, Less rolling and rocking (motion is less apparent), and needless to say, more affordable than the exact same cabin but on a higher deck.

Unless being just a few steps from a specific venue is important to them (some people like to be close to pools, restaurants, or bars), it doesn't really make much sense to spend extra on an inside cabin on a higher deck.

For the most part, the decks closer to the water line experience less "motion" than the upper decks, which is one reason why we like them.

Also, as long as you don't select/get assigned a room right below a heavy traffic area in the galley, the lower decks are pretty quiet. No worries about being over/under loud night time activities if you're trying to sleep. There are some reports about noise from galley equipment though. Check the "Cabin Selection Page" for reports about particular rooms.

But, firefly333 is right about being farther away from some of the action. I don't mind waiting a minute or two for elevators, or I take the stairs, but if you think they would be going up/down a lot to the pools or other areas, it might not be a good match.

hi all,,,,can anyone give info on deck levels 1 and 2,,,,,my daughter would like to book a discounted interior cabin on one of these levels and not sure how they are??? is there any negative to being down so low on the ship,,,,my husband and i usually book decks 8/9/10 so we are no help,,,,thanks!! :confused:

Any particular ship or class of ships? Is she looking for a 1A or cat 4? Solo or two people?

This thread may be helpful if she is interested in a 1A:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=839087&highlight=

Also she may want to consider a porthole (PT) cabin - a view at an interior price. There are several threads re those.

I love the lowest deck possible... It's quiet and you really don't feel the motion as much.. Another plus is that when we return from our days out no long lines waiting for the elevator we just walk up one flight and we are on our deck.. Another plus they are less expensive and it allows for more than one vacation per year...:D

Decks one and two are the cheapested deck we always think of them as Steerage. If you don't mind rooms with no or almost no winders and you don't mind going under a wave here and tehre go for it. They could pay me to stay there. But to each his or her own.

.... and you don't mind going under a wave here and tehre go for it...

:confused:HUH? :confused:

Considering that the Riviera deck is 60 feet above the water line, those must be some huge waves! (yes, the seas gets choppy once in a while, but I haven't experienced yet a wave break or even wash over my window, not even remotely! )

The misconception that lower decks are worse is a carryover from the days of the Transatlantic Ocean Liners of the early 1900's when first class passengers were on the higher decks and second & third class passengers were on the lower decks. Somehow, there are people who are STILL stuck with that antiquated mentality....

This is only my opinion.

Decks one and two don't have much fresh air, therefore they are kind of stinky at times.

Vibrations from the engine, and anchors will can felt there.

Nothing that would ruin a cruise for sure!

We've been on the lower decks many times and the cabins are just as clean; decorated the same way; and have an elevator just as close as the ones on a higher deck! Your DD might be on that elevator another minute. That's it! For all the money saved, it's a great way to go. Hope she enjoys.

Just avoid the very back of the ship, and you should be fine. A little less convenient to the buffet, but a lot convenient to the main dinning room and a lot convenient to on/off the ship.

To the person who said "under a wave here and tehre", have you ever been low deck before? Or you just gave people suggestions based on your imagination?

Never noticed an odd "smell", and never really heard engine noise, either. And if you select a spot midships, you won't hear anchor noises during docking operations. And yes, coming back from port is definitely a breeze if you save just enough energy to walk up one or two flights of stairs. No long elevator lines those days!

The highest deck I cruise on was 10 and it was about 230 per person (and there were 5 of us)...give or take a few dollars more than my Sil paid foe the Rivera deck and our rooms were identical and when returned from our day out we had to wait up to 20 minutes for an elevator. I say don't knock it till you try it.... And as I mentioned my earlier post I can vacation more than once a year by staying in "steerage"..

Decks one and two are the cheapested deck we always think of them as Steerage. If you don't mind rooms with no or almost no winders and you don't mind going under a wave here and tehre go for it. They could pay me to stay there. But to each his or her own.

:D So do we...and we book those rooms, great value!...hubby jokes that instead of giving us the life jackets in the closet we will have oars :p

It really depends on what's more important to you. To answer your question, there will be no waves crashing all around you. The cabins are high enough above water level. I sailed twice in a lower level inside cabin and it was just fine (no loud crazy engine noise). We sprung for a balcony for our honeymoon and have never booked anything other than that since. We prefer to be higher up (empress through lido) as well. Don't mind spending extra for it. However, if you are trying to be budget minded then book the lower level inside. You get the same fun and will have more money in your pocket.

For the most part, the decks closer to the water line experience less "motion" than the upper decks, which is one reason why we like them.

Also, as long as you don't select/get assigned a room right below a heavy traffic area in the galley, the lower decks are pretty quiet. No worries about being over/under loud night time activities if you're trying to sleep. There are some reports about noise from galley equipment though. Check the "Cabin Selection Page" for reports about particular rooms.

But, firefly333 is right about being farther away from some of the action. I don't mind waiting a minute or two for elevators, or I take the stairs, but if you think they would be going up/down a lot to the pools or other areas, it might not be a good match.

Where are the heavy traffic areas in the galley? We are in 2435 next week on The Dream and have only recently discovered that being below the galley could be an issue, so I'm now worried. I have read posts saying not all staterooms below the galley get the noise, but I can't find where those particular locations might be.

I've been on 12 cruises, main deck, balcony and higher deck. I never used the balcony so did not do that again. As far as elevators go, here's the story:

If you are on a mid level, you will still need elevators to go all the way up. Being on a lower deck makes it very easy when you embark the ship in ports, no waiting, walk up one or two levels and you're at your cabin. No matter where you are on the ship you will have to either go up or down, so what's the difference??????

I think the main issue is inside or outside. Some people become a little disoriented without outside light coming into the cabin. I always take ocean view but otherwise I'm sure whatever you take will be just fine.

Archived