Dinner dress customs

CarlsbadSally

Hi Sally,

I never saw anything less than smart casual, by this I mean...

women... nice capri's and a sweater set type outfit

men.. dockers and a collared polo type shirt

that would probably be your minimum ..and then you can add in nicer outfits.

NO JEANS

You will be on a warm weather cruise..I would suggest a few tasteful sundresses and skirts. I would bring a coordinating cardigan because the ship can be cool.

I also saw several men in suits and women in cocktail dresses periodically but they were in the minority.

K.

Ditto the country club casual dress style. On our Journey cruise they did not turn away men in jeans but khakis and a collared shirt for the men and ladies slacks and a nice top or dresses are perfectly appropriate. The ambiance in the dining venues did not suffer at all from our comfortable attire.

Have a wonderful cruise.

that would probably be your minimum ..and then you can add in nicer outfits.

And on our cruise, "nicer outfits" went as far as long evening dresses for women and white dinner jackets with black tie for men for one party in Prime C one evening.

Sue

You are on the same cruise as us. We tend to dress to the smarter end - I usually wear a dress or trousers and evening top each night unless we are going to the deck buffet which happens once or twice a trip. What I did notice that whilst there was quite a diverse range of dress at dinner, especially in the specialities where we tend to eat a lot, I would say if you think of it as a linear progression from jean/t shirts to ball gowns, Azamara sees a much more concentrated range with no one in the very casual jeans and virtually everyone in the quite smart casual up to cocktail dresses. This differs from Celebrity when apart from on formal night the range is much more from very casual even jeans and shorts to some smart casual but none above that

I think on Azamara you see more smarter dress each night because there is not a formal night and every night is special night for some passengers who are dining in Prime C/Aqualina where the standard of dress was higher than in Murano or Tuscan Grill.

As others have said collared shirts for men and nice tops for ladies/dress/skirts is the norm across this range

See you soon

Sally,

We're also on your cruise and neither of us will be bringing anything even vaguely dressy. John will have one jacket which he will probably never wear. I will sport not a sequin nor spangle. Our style could best be described as aging preppy, although we're only in our 60s. Our khakis have never gone out of style. If dressing to the "smarter end" is not for you, come have dinner with us.;)

Toni

Just to clarify evening top for me is a smart overshirt/blouse as opposed to a day top which is at the T shirt end

As I say on Azamara it is a mix such that no one feels out of place unless they have opted to wear their tiara or their beach shorts to dinner

On an AZ Eastern Med cruise I wore a printed, cotton sateen skirt topped with a tee (gasp) in the MDR. I felt good and was treated nicely. My personal guage is to imagine myself interacting with waitstaff: do I feel comfortable, or awkwardly underdressed?

I have dressed "smart casual" on three different cruise lines, including Azamara, and dressed the same on each. Typically for me it is a pair of black slacks with a nice blouse or top (but not formal dressier tops).

Alice

Thanks everyone. I have a tendency to overdress, but it sounds like there is enough range that we will all be comfortable. Look forward to meeting with those of you on the Jan. 30 sailing.

Don't worry about feeling "overdressed". We like to dress for dinner and had the same concerns before our cruise but it was fine. We are certainly taking our cocktail dresses [for me] and lounge suits [for him] for our next cruise.

Sue

Thanks everyone. I have a tendency to overdress, but it sounds like there is enough range that we will all be comfortable. Look forward to meeting with those of you on the Jan. 30 sailing.

I also like to overdress and it makes me feel good after a tiring day sightseeing. Enjoy. Az accomodates all/

Just thought of something else to add...

I felt very comfortable with what I packed as being appropriate for the dining room on Azamara, but I didn't pack anything a step up that would be appropriate for a cocktail or semi formal event.

and then it happened....:eek:

An invitation to have dinner with the Captain

While I was still dressed nicely as were the other 6 guests,

If I was at home and had access to my closet. I would have dressed up much more

So, be prepared for the unexpected.

Archived