Just got off the Freedom

Let me start by saying the Freedom was a Fantastic!! ship. The food was great as was the entertainment but I do have a problem. We docked at St maarten and this was not our first time there but they have a new taxi stand for all the boaters. The beaches that they will take you to are listed on top of the taxi stand. I asked the gentlemen there who helps you get a cab if we could go to Simpson Bay he said he will ask the taxi driver. Well they refused to take us there claiming the beach was polluted. The taxi drivers on St. Maarten get kick backs for taking people to certain beaches. Only the beaches listed on the taxi stand are they allowed to take you. So fine we went to dawn beach instead nice beach but when it was time to go back to the boat the taxi driver that took us there wouldnt take us back unless there were more people in the cab. They dont make any money on just 2 people. So we were made to sit there and wait until someone was ready to go back to their boat. Just thought I would let anyone know this who is headed to St Maarten soon.

That happened to us in St. Martin to. Getting to town was not a problem, but when we wanted to come back to the ship we couldn't find a taxi that would just take the 2 of us back. We were told that only certain taxi's would take 2 people. We ended up just offering a nice tip to get us back to the ship.

Kinda like what happened to a friend of mine in Egypt. She got a camel ride for what she thought was a reasonable amount of money, but at the end she had to pay again so the handler would make the camel kneel so she could get off. She learned it "pays" to assume nothing! lol

Although cruising is not really world travel..But traveling is not for the tender foot kind of people,, its a big world ..full of preditors...you want to be safer..stay home. You want the glory ....... you have to pay the price or be strong enough to negotiate your way....

Boy, that stinks. You visit a beautiful island destination and you can't even go where you want to. Did Freedom dock right on the pier or did you have to tender?

It docked right on the pier. There is an area where all the taxi's line up and someone that ushers people in the taxis. Just when you think they can't put another person in, there is someone almost on your lap!

Storm I have no idea why you would even comment on my post if your going to say **** like that. your an idiot. dont comment on my posts

Although cruising is not really world travel..But traveling is not for the tender foot kind of people,, its a big world ..full of preditors...you want to be safer..stay home. You want the glory ....... you have to pay the price or be strong enough to negotiate your way....

"Wow"

Archived