What to do near port?

navybaby1113

I was wondering the same thing....because we have done the stringray tour twice now and would like something different. The only thing is to head to 7 mile beach right out of the port (walking distance) and take the beauty of the Cayman Islands in. My understanding is that there are several rental spots along the shore with waverunners, parasailing, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling, equipment and LOTS of food.

• 3 weeks later...

When we went a few years back, there was a lot to see and do just walking around right off the ship. We also took a little tour around the town on the trolley, which was nice seeing the local sites.

I was wondering the same thing....because we have done the stringray tour twice now and would like something different. The only thing is to head to 7 mile beach right out of the port (walking distance) and take the beauty of the Cayman Islands in. My understanding is that there are several rental spots along the shore with waverunners, parasailing, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling, equipment and LOTS of food.

There's a place very close by with lots of FREE food- the SHIP!!!

HERE IS NOTHING to do near port. it is a gray, depressing port. The worst on the trip! boring and bland. Heres my review...

http://ultimateparkreview.blogspot.com/2010/12/part-3-of-florida-to-central-america.html

It definaly aint no Roatan or Belize!!! Thats for sure. In fact my wife says she hopes we never go there again and if we are on a ship that ports there we will just stay on board.

HERE IS NOTHING to do near port. it is a gray, depressing port. The worst on the trip! boring and bland. Heres my review...

http://ultimateparkreview.blogspot.com/2010/12/part-3-of-florida-to-central-america.html

It definaly aint no Roatan or Belize!!! Thats for sure. In fact my wife says she hopes we never go there again and if we are on a ship that ports there we will just stay on board.

I don't think I've heard that about GC. Most people love it for it's gorgeous beaches.

Wow. We had the exact opposite experience. On our honeymoon cruise, DH and I loved the "gray depressing port" and the "mainstream excursions" so much that we went back for a land stay and then eventually bought a vacation home there.

Did you go to the national museum? That's right downtown, if you were looking for historical stuff.

There's also lots of cute shops (yes, the pirate stores are cheezy...that's the point) and good restaurants (other than the chains). There's free snorkelling within walking distance, and great free beaches a short taxi ride away.

And those mainstream excursions are some of the best experiences in the caribbean...Stingray City is world famous for being one of the best spots to safely interact with wild stingrays. There's also the Turtle Farm, dolphin encounters, a car museum, a great botanical garden, the Pedro St. James historical site, and a ton of other great spots to visit.

And, on top of that, even wandering the island on your own, you're not going to get shot or pestered by beach vendors or drug dealers, you can safely drink the water and eat the food, and almost everyone accepts US currency. The only negative is that it's a little pricey. That's *way* better than a lot of the usual cruise ship stops...

I tend to agree with Chasm4u as far as walking around in the town...however, if you enjoy snorkeling there are a couple of good sites within a very short walk of the tender dock. Eden Rock to the right and Cali to the left. Otherwise, you need to get away from town.

As a retired Navy guy who raised 2 "navy babies" (actually the Queen Bee raised them cause I was deployed most of the time:(), I like your screen name.

Not a very good review, we have been 5 times to the island staying a week at a time and always find things to do we haven't done on previous trips. The island is colorful and fun, great people,food and beaches. Near port is the Cayman craft market with handmade treats, especially Miss Ivy.

We've been to Grand Cayman several times. We are always thrilled to find it's a port on our cruise. It's a favorite of our whole family. Everytime we go, we are able to do something different. I agree with the poster who said you don't have to worry about (1) the food or the water (2) getting shot (3) getting pestered by vendors. This is a beautiful island. I've never heard it described as "gray and depressing" before. We've gone on the same type of excursions on other Caribbean islands and have found that the equipment is newer, better, more sanitary. The taxi's don't look as if they are on their last leg and have fabulous air-conditioning. Flies aren't flying around INSIDE the shelves where food and treats are being sold. If I were ever to buy a vacation home, I'd pay the extra money for it to be on Grand Cayman. You'll love the island and they are right...it's not Belize or Roatan, which is a thumbs up for me!

I guess to each his own I just dont visit other countries for the same reasons I guess. If I wanted the suff you guys are raving about I would just go to gatlinburg or somthing but as far as beaches well we are not beach people. We are into history an culture adn as far as grand Cayman there i none that we saw.

No we didnt visit the museum, couldnt even find it. we did however see teh fort! lol a cannon a small wall and a bench! very preserved. NOT

Also by Mainstream I wasnt talking excursions I was talkin hard rock cafe, margerettaville and related wastes of time.

on the whole itenerary ofthat trip I would choose Roatan for a home. ;)

I guess what I should have said is.....

"if your a tourist, then yes there is plenty. However if your a traveler adn want somthing a little more deep than a hamburger at Hard Rock and a snorkel tour you wont find it here."

"if your a tourist, then yes there is plenty. However if your a traveler adn want somthing a little more deep than a hamburger at Hard Rock and a snorkel tour you wont find it here."

Agree...it my least favorite port also and super expensive. However, I'm glad it was on my itinerary two years ago when I boarded the ship with a dental problem in Fort Lauderdale. The ship's doctor recommended I see a dentist ASAP, and my choice was Jamaica, Cozumel, or GC. Thank goodness for the modern day medical care on Grand Cayman!

Anytime that you stay near the port and not expore the island your opinion is distorted...

In Belize I did the same thing and hated it there. But when I got back on board and everyone was talking about how great it was, I realized it was my fault for not wanting to book a tour in attempt in saving money for the other ports.

Anytime that you stay near the port and not expore the island your opinion is distorted...

In Belize I did the same thing and hated it there. But when I got back on board and everyone was talking about how great it was, I realized it was my fault for not wanting to book a tour in attempt in saving money for the other ports.

Totally see your point.

If your a so called traveller, what the heck are you doing on a cruise!!! I only travel on cruises to relax and unwind from work, if I want a real adventure like a recent trip to Japan, I averaged walking 10 miles a day to see the sites, travel to several cities via bullet train etc, your travel experience must have told you this? no? I would think as a world traveller you would quit whinning and find something of interest that is local to the culture of the caymans, which are beautiful islands and if you didnt see that then you definitely need to stay in America!:):rolleyes:

And this post is why I pay very little attention to naysayers on CC. The OP sounds like he'd complain about anything and everything given the chance. My experiences in Cayman has always been positive. My mother always used to tell me, "Son, if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

And this post is why I pay very little attention to naysayers on CC. The OP sounds like he'd complain about anything and everything given the chance. My experiences in Cayman has always been positive. My mother always used to tell me, "Son, if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

Actually if you look throughmy blog youll see in the past 3 years I have only written 3 negitive reviews...Grand cayman, Disney studios florida and Ober Gatliburg.

Also I am known by everyone who knows me as the psitive one. *shrugs*

As for the poster before you aksing if I am a travler what am I doing on a cruise. DUH TRAVELING! lol while everyone else goes to the beach we see the islands and go hiking etc. I dont see where your coming from on this one. *shrugs*

Seriously we didnt see any culture or local here. If banks are consider culture than maybe. if the local jewelry stores are local historical sites then MAYBE! lol

Just had more to do in the other ports.

ALSOM to those complainging about me for disagreeing. I am not compaining that we disagree why are you? TO me THAT is the true definatiion of negitive. Your entitled to your opinion and I respect your right to disagree with me. cannot you offer the same dignity and respect for me? thanks

Seriously we didnt see any culture or local here. If banks are consider culture than maybe. if the local jewelry stores are local historical sites then MAYBE! lol

Just had more to do in the other ports.

There's lots of culture there, it's just that you have to leave the port area to find it. The only real cultural/historical attraction within walking distance of the port is the museum...everything else requires a taxi ride or rental car.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there's the Turtle Farm, dolphin encounters, a car museum, a great botanical garden, the Pedro St. James historical site...oh, and the Mastic Trail, which I had forgotten to mention before...and the blowholes...and probably more stuff that I haven't found yet. I'd skip the pirate caves in Boddentown, though...those are really cheesy.

Your experience, unfortunately, was the equivalent of visiting the local shopping mall in a city in the States, and not venturing anywhere else but assuming that was all there was to see. ;) Next time, rent a car and do some exploring further away from the port...you'll totally change your mind about the island.

We're not 100% sure we want to book a tour in GC. Is there anything fun to do around port?

Hi navybaby.

We were on grand Cayman less than 2 weeks ago and had one of the best, fun days ever.

We went "sea trekking"-- we are not really water babies (or even particularly fit) but this was amazing.

Walking on the sea bed, surrounded by hundreds of beautiful fish which eat from your hand. The photos I took are fantastic.

The company are based just along the street from Margaritaville (beach side of the street).

After a comprehensive safety briefing, you are taken by boat from a small dock to the diving base where- after a diving helmet is placed over your head & shoulders- you climb down into the water.

They only take small groups at a time (about 10 at most) and you spend about 1/2 hr under the sea.

There are 2/3 safety guides with you at all times and you felt totally safe.

The scariest part is taking the 1st few steps down the ladder with the water surrounding you but the further down into the water you get the more you realise how amazing (and safe)it is.

You go down to about 25-30ft

There were 6 in our group (including a no swimmer)and we were all a bit nervous to start with but by the time we came back up again- we were in love with it and wanted to do it all over again!!

The best ever

Elaine

Archived