Roll call: Silver Whisper, March 15, 2011

AllisonJames

Hi all, since we've passed the 60 day mark I guess I will start a Roll Call for this voyage to see who might be joining us. We're Eileen and Bob (my screen name is the names of our children) and we live in a suburb of Philadelphia. It will be our first cruise on Silversea, we've previously sailed on Seabourn, which we loved. This year we are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary and I will actually be celebrating my big 5-0 while on board (March 17). Of the islands on the itinerary, we've been to St. Kitts and Antigua several times, the rest are new for us. Bob plans to golf in Antigua, Grenada and St. Kitts. Would love to meet some new friends, anyone joining us on the Silver Whisper March 15?

Congratulations on your milestones. We are on the cruise immediately following yours. Same marital milestone. I am going to lurk on your roll call and try to glean any info regarding excursions. We haven't reached any conclusions yet in that matter. No response yet to my roll call. Think most regular posters must avoid the shorter cruises. Have a great trip!!

Hi, thanks for responding and we are sorry to miss you -- and 1986 was a great year, wasn't it? (except for the Red Sox blowing the World Series -- we're originally from Boston). So far we are doing the Dominica's favorites tour and that's probably it for organized tours, the rest we'll do on our own. If you want any specific info on Antigua or St. Kitts let me know, we've been to both on cruises as well as had land vacations on both islands. Yes, most of the cruisecritic regulars seem to take longer cruises, wish we could but we have a 13 year old so it's difficult to get away for longer, we are actually staying in PR for three nights pre-cruise which will make this our longest trip, would love to try a 10 day cruise but they are few and far between so we take what we can get :)

Actually we're family of about 20 so far. My brother-in-law is treating the family as he loves Silversea. I have been on about 21 cruises on other lines & this will be my first on Silversea.

I've been to all the ports except for St. Barts. Trying to decide what to do at each island & need to come up with some options, as I've been assigned "cruise director" for the gang!

Diane

• 1 month later...

Hi CLKC86 -- I am starting to think of you as my shadow :) Yes, we have pretty much decided what we are doing in port. First of all, my husband is a golfer so he will golf in Antigua and St. Kitts (both places we have visited previously). Our day in Antigua is actually my birthday, so I am going to try to get a day pass to my favorite resort Galley Bay while he golfs. If the resort is sold out and they are not making day passes available, going to the Jolly Harbour resort where my husband plans to golf. St. Kitts I am doing a day pass at the Marriott (been there twice before, once on a cruise and once for a land vacation) while husband golfs at their course. St. Barts we are going to do on our own, visit beaches and maybe hire a taxi to give us a tour of the island. Grenada, husband is going to golf while I beach, then perhaps we'll take a taxi tour of the island. The only shore excursion we are doing is on Dominica -- "Dominica's Favorites." FYI -- I did some research on shore excursions there and found SS's price very competitive (which isn't always the case). You can tell we like the beach and golf :) Let me know if you want any recommendations about Antigua and St. Kitts excursions since we've been there quite a bit.

Appreciate your sharing AllisonJames! I have just been really unsure of what we wanted to do where and my minimal research has not turned up anything I thought was a must do for us. A family situation may prevent our being able to go. My 86 yr old mil is in a steady decline. We did buy insurance so if we have to cancel hopefully we will be covered.

I hope everything works out for you! Antigua is a good place to either go to the beach or take a Catamaran snorkeling trip. In St. Kitts, Brimstone Hill fortress and Romney Manor are interesting if you like history, also good is an excursion to Nevis if that is offered. In both Antigua and St. Kitts, there is shopping right near the dock.

Archived